£50 mapping GPSr

davester

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...20&doy=22m1

Lowrance iFinder Go2 available for £50 from Maplin. Should be alright as a basic mapping GPS for anyone who wants one.

anyone used this? seems very cheap, although i appreciate it doesn't do an awful lot! However, copared to my old etrex, its got egnos, mapping, and possibly a USB connector? anyone know?

cheers

dave

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...20&doy=22m1

Lowrance iFinder Go2 available for £50 from Maplin. Should be alright as a basic mapping GPS for anyone who wants one.

anyone used this? seems very cheap, although i appreciate it doesn't do an awful lot! However, copared to my old etrex, its got egnos, mapping, and possibly a USB connector? anyone know?

cheers

dave

A quick bit of googling gave this (link to website) (albeit American) site which includes pdfs of the manuals. From a quick skim, it appears to have a serial coms port, but no USB port.

copared to my old etrex, its got egnos, mapping, and possibly a USB connector? anyone know?

cheers

dave

WASS and EGNOS are compatible with each other (link and link)

Although, the mapping looks good, only useful for road users though, and possibly only US too...

As far as computer connection, it only states com port with NMEA protocol support. The manual is poor, no mention if other maps are available, how to transfer maps OR waypoints to it. AFAIK, NMEA doesn't support waypoint transfer. Just checked some NMEA specs, it does.

Plus it doesn't look quite as waterproof or rugged as an etrex.

I bumped into someone who uses one whilst out walking today (not literally)

16 channel reciever (my legends only 12)

waterproof to ipx7 (same as legend)

screens bigger on legend but the mapping is similar

does not look as robust as legend

doesen't float, nor does my legend

He said he's had it six months and not had any problems with it.

100 routes

1000 waypoints

connects to computer

waas/ egnos compatible

not bad for fifty quid, if your on a tight budget

Looks great; price is brilliant; available locally.

I was just about to dash out and get one when I thought "I wonder how much the cables are?". Quick search on ebay found nothing so into the Lawrence website. Have you seen how much they are?!!!! Is this the stumbling block? There had to be a catch hasn't there?

Does anyone know of a cheap source for cables, or have a plan for a 'home made' soldering job? It would be great to crack this one as the unit does seem to be better than my yellow eTrex which I swear by.

FMC

Looks great; price is brilliant; available locally.

I was just about to dash out and get one when I thought "I wonder how much the cables are?". Quick search on ebay found nothing so into the Lawrence website. Have you seen how much they are?!!!! Is this the stumbling block? There had to be a catch hasn't there?

Does anyone know of a cheap source for cables, or have a plan for a 'home made' soldering job? It would be great to crack this one as the unit does seem to be better than my yellow eTrex which I swear by.

FMC

There's no point in asking "do we know how much the cables are?" and then ask for a cheap source if you don't give us the price of the cables in the first place!

:D

Looks like they've all gone anyway, they page is now empty.

Still several in Bristol.

I picked one up on way home last night as they do 14 day money back. Have been out today to field test & I have to say it's a little darling. In terms of speed of aquisition and features it is far better than my WAAS eTrex. GB map includes B roads and it would seem all small villages. One bid draw back (for me) is the screen size is smaller plus they try & fit more info on the screen and consequently the text/graphics are small by comparison so no good if you have poor sight. That aside I'd say 100% recommended. If you've not got a gps or want a second for kids, etc go for it - but be quick.

FMC

Edited by FollowMeChaps

Looks like they've all gone anyway, they page is now empty.

Still several in Bristol.

I picked one up on way home last night as they do 14 day money back. Have been out today to field test & I have to say it's a little darling. In terms of speed of aquisition and features it is far better than my WAAS eTrex. GB map includes B roads and it would seem all small villages. One bid draw back (for me) is the screen size is smaller plus they try & fit more info on the screen and consequently the text/graphics are small by comparison so no good if you have poor sight. That aside I'd say 100% recommended. If you've not got a gps or want a second for kids, etc go for it - but be quick.

FMC

Does it come with a cable?

No - but does have cd with software which I haven't installed - you'll have to source your own cable - I'm of the opinion you could use an eTrex one - I'll try & give it a go before I return it. NB: I have poor close up sight so can only read the screen with reading glasses which I don't need with my eTrex. That's more me being at fault, not the unit - I may be tempted to keep it for the kids though!

FMC

No - but does have cd with software which I haven't installed - you'll have to source your own cable - I'm of the opinion you could use an eTrex one - I'll try & give it a go before I return it. NB: I have poor close up sight so can only read the screen with reading glasses which I don't need with my eTrex. That's more me being at fault, not the unit - I may be tempted to keep it for the kids though!

FMC

I'm not considering buying one, still got life in my etrex yet!

But, I did custom make that cable!

Really, the unit's manufacturers should have thought about those with poorer eyesight.

There's no point in asking "do we know how much the cables are?" and then ask for a cheap source if you don't give us the price of the cables in the first place!

:D

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?! :laughing:

Just a reasonable and sensible observation really. rather than the wrong side of the bed, it'd be better if it was the wrong bed too but then I should be in another thread for that!