Attention Geocaching Pilots or Plane Fanatics

FlagFinder

well i have noticed that many states or groups have thier own geocaching site that includes thier own forums and such and i noticed within every group there were say 1 or 2 pilots and im sure a lot of them love planes well why dont we start a website for those who love planes and those of you who are pilots. im sure it would be a great idea and we could organize our own fly ins and such or just have a group of us who meet up at other events such as airventure!

theres one problem and that is i dont know how to set up a site! so i would either need someones help or someone could make the site for us and we could just join in.

so lets here anyone have sugestions? or does anyone else want to create the site?

i think this site should be worldwide because if anyone has a plane im sure they would fly it and we all would have a common interest. :laughing:

I just found this topic, and can only stay a few minutes before I have to get to some meetings. (A good friend of mine clued me in on this) :rolleyes:

I am out of Indianpolis, Indiana and have been flying for about ten years. I have been trying to find ways to combine my love of geocaching with my love of flying. I even have one of my caches close to my home field. It's called "I'm a Little Airplane." :rolleyes:

I don't know about the website, but I've given other aspects of combining geocaching/flying a lot of thought. Things like "flying cache runs," and "pilot friendly" caches, as well as some others. As for "fly-ins," I'm always ready for a fly-in!!!!

You can check out our profile here!! (There's a picture of my "baby" there) :rolleyes:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=6b...91-b10ff9b4b977

I'm "tracking" this thread, and will try to stop by later today to yap a little more!

Team A.C.E. (Sparkeeeee)

Edited by Team A.C.E.

Look into SiteKreator for free hosting, especially if you are like me and not a expert programmer.

Let me know if you get anything going, I'm not an active pilot right now, but I have flown and plan to fly more once I get out of college. Combining it with Geocaching sounds great, it would be a great "excuse" to get some Cross Country time.

I think that is a great idea ! I am too young to fly but I want to be a Navy pilot when I am older. Keep me posted.

I have a local geocaching group made up of a few of my friends. We have a website at www.seusa.wetpaint.com. We use www.wetpaint.com's free web hosting. It is great. We really use it. Feel free to check out our site as an example.

well what do you want to call our group? i have the page up i decided to go with wet paint for now but may expieriment a bit later. i know some other people who have used wet paint and they seem pretty good my goal is to set up a site with forums so we can talk on our own and have links to helpful soarces such as EAA and that other site someone mentioned before which lists where caches near airports are. (if i knew that existed i would have used that on my vacation) if you want links to any sites or such or know a site we could get some free forums started just mention it. remember ill start construction at about 9pm tonight central time.

.....or know a site we could get some free forums started just mention it.

Invision Free

I use it for the Geo-Lowrance Forums, and have been very happy with it. There are a lot of settings and options, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy to run. I like the look a lot better than phpBB boards, mostly because it's nearly identical to these Groundspeak Forums.

the wet paint site is being very putsy ill give it a day i did already creat forums and used phpbb because someone else told me to use them so i could start up the forums but the site will have to wai a while what i may do instead is create an xanga till i get some more communication from people who can help create this site or create it for us im stuck right now. ill keep posted and create the xanga tommorow and will post the site for now let me finish the forums for you all to talk on

well what do you want to call our group?

There's a great website called The $100 hamburger, created by John Purner, the author of the book by the same title.

Bookcoverburger3rd.jpg

Both the book and the website serve as listings of good restaurants and other entertainment on or near airports, provided as suggested destinations for those who just need any half-decent destination as an excuse to go flying -- hence the cost of the 'hamburger.'

Maybe you could steal some version of that name:

The Super 'Spensive Smiley

Or do something different, like:

Switch your Garmin to 'Knots!'

Caching Cloud-to-Cloud

RunWayPoints

Jeremy's Air Force

Lattitude, Longitude, ALTITUDE!

Know who you need to talk to? Go to the Off Topic forum, step into a little pub there called Cheers, and ask for a guy named Torry. He's good at this sort of thing.

I fly remote controlled airplanes. There are many members of our club who are commercial pilots, and they say the remote control planes are harder to fly than their commercial ones. Even if I don't fit I think its a fun idea. My Canoe club has added geocaching to their web site and our monthly canoe trips :huh:

I fly remote controlled airplanes. There are many members of our club who are commercial pilots, and they say the remote control planes are harder to fly than their commercial ones.

I can confirm that. I've got 25 years flying experience and over 15,000 hours logged. A couple years ago I built an electric-powered beginner's RC plane from a kit. I did okay the first time out, but the second day I flew it ... I turned it right back into a kit. :huh: