How would U teach a GPS/geocache class?

gravechaser

For a local Women In The Outdoors event later this summer I submitted an idea for a class on GPS use and geocaching. I'd like to flesh out the submission but other than printing out the brochures about caching I am not really sure what materials I would need to use. I would need materials to pass out to the ladies and materials for me to present from. What sites other than Geocacher-U and geocaching.com would be good to use? Should materials include info on Garmins and Magellans? There are three caches within the park that the event is held in so I could take the ladies on a little excursion to let them try to find one of them but that is the easy part. I want to present a great & complete lesson package and I don't know where to start. Any suggestions would be extremely welcome as I've only been caching about 3 months.

I've always included a section on how the gps section works. For younger audiences I use clothes line and make four students "satellites" and place them at predetermined locations. The person sitting where the three ropes converge gets to be the first to hold the gps when we start the search. That way there is no bickering on who gets to go first.

I actually taught one for Women in the Outdoors in Terre Haute back in 2005. We had a lot of fun.

I took the brochure from Geocacher-U with me and used it go walk them through step by step, covered some historical info and then took them out to find 3 or 4 caches hidden in the park around us. We had enough spare GPS's that everyone got a shot.

And I got a "Women in the Outdoors" t-shirt...which I..ummm...gave to my daughter. :blink:

Bret

Thanks for all the help! We have a meeting Monday about the event. I believe we are supposed to talk about narrowing down the lessons so I'll know pretty quickly or at least by mid-Feb if I'm doing this. If not then I have plenty of time to prepare for next year! I hadn't thought of Powerpoints.....that might help me, too! Thanks for all the great help!