Garmin vs Magellen

E Ticket

I introduced a friend today to geocaching. I was using my Garmin Legend he had a Magellen. Most all of our cache finds had very close readings except for one. We were standing almost on top of the cache and the magellen was close to zero. On the other hand my Garmin was was 404 feet off. I checked the inputed coordinates, had new batteries, and the terrain was a flat field with no obstructions. Why was my Garmin so far off?

On the other hand my Garmin was was 404 feet off. I checked the inputed coordinates, had new batteries, and the terrain was a flat field with no obstructions. Why was my Garmin so far off?

The Garmin was correct. The cache was in the wrong place. :blink:

Seriously, other than coordinates not be entered correctly (I know you said you checked for this), I can't imagine why the two GPSrs would show such a large difference.

we find that each mkae of GPS has its own asstes and liabilities; for best results take one of each.

i'm a garmin user and i find that the x series does a better job acquiring and retaining signal.

As long as Signal is a consenting adult, there should be no problem with that. :)

I introduced a friend today to geocaching. I was using my Garmin Legend he had a Magellen. Most all of our cache finds had very close readings except for one. We were standing almost on top of the cache and the magellen was close to zero. On the other hand my Garmin was was 404 feet off. I checked the inputed coordinates, had new batteries, and the terrain was a flat field with no obstructions. Why was my Garmin so far off?

Every now and then something goofy happens and then corrects istself after a short time. I've seen A sport track pro go on a trip while we were standing by the cache. It wandered a mile or two (or so it thought) for several minutes. By the time we got to the next cache all was back to normal.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Every now and then something goofy happens and then corrects istself after a short time. I've seen A sport track pro do on a trip while we were standinb by the cache. It wandered a mile or two away (or so it thought) for several minutes. By the time we got to the next cache all was back to normal.

I remember my Vista once telling me I was in Texas when I was actually in NJ. It took a few minutes but it finally settled on the right location.

I also have an eTrex Legend, and it has done well for me, though I've only done a few caches so far. It has shown me with about 8 feet when I found the cache.

The only time I've gotten a really bad reading is when I was inside my house and I was suprised to see it said "ready to navigate" - must have picked up a few satelites out the window, and it said I was a few hundred feet from home.

Cathy

Thanks, next time I will not panic and see if it settles down. I really wanted to buy a new color gps though.

I've had the same thing happen, in reverse. I have a Magellan, and a friend has a Garmin. One day, her Garmin had her 200 to 300 feet from where mine was showing GZ to be, and it ended up mine was correct. She finally just left hers in the car and followed me! :D Another time, my daughter was with me with her fairly new Garmin color whatever model, and again, hers was pointing 50 to 100 feet away from where mine showed GZ to be. What I've noticed more than that though, is that they both seem to lose satellite lock frequently, whereas mine has never (knocking on wood) had that happen, even when it's in my pocket. :D