Adding Maps to SD card

dwayne23

I have added South Carolina to my SD card and would like to add NC. and TEN. but when I try to it over writes SC. or it removes it one. I have a Merdian Gold and have had it for some time but have not used it any where but SC and would like to use going to Ten. We are wantting to find caches on the way up there and as we go. Can someone help. We like Ten. and want to try our hand at cacheing along the way.

Dwayne23 and Faimly

I have a Garmin GPSMap 76CSx and as I understand Strumble, I must load all maps at the same time. I have a 2 G SD and already loaded Mapsource City Navigator N.A. and just aquired the Topo USA maps and would like to add the Western US. SHEESH! It took almost 3 hours to load the City Nav maps.

So I need to reload them with the Topo, or lose them??? Oh, okay!

I have a Garmin GPSMap 76CSx and as I understand Strumble, I must load all maps at the same time. I have a 2 G SD and already loaded Mapsource City Navigator N.A. and just aquired the Topo USA maps and would like to add the Western US. SHEESH! It took almost 3 hours to load the City Nav maps.

So I need to reload them with the Topo, or lose them??? Oh, okay!

Whatever you put on the SD card will be wiped out when you re-load even one extra maptile!

Either put the different software on different SD cards or split them up into regions [with both CN and Topo] on seperate cards.

You have found the dis-advantage of loading 2GB cards [3hours to load] instead of smaller cards with more regional details!

Did it take 3 hours with a Card reader?

I would never waste time loading CityNavigator Europe with countries I would never visit, [cost in time,] 3 hours every time I wanted to add anything.

Just to answer Strumble..... I loaded the North America City Navigator on my 2 gig card in the GPS w/usb connection. 2 1/2 hours would be more accurate. I guess I didn't taste my words before spitting them out. I'll probably put the Topo on another card rather than go through that again. Sorry to butt in with a Garmin thing, won't happen again.

Lucky46, there is another issue with loading maps onto a microSD card.

Garmin limits the map segment count to 2025, no matter how big the card is. Because of this, you cannot get all the western USA Topo onto the card, since Topo divides the world into very small, and very numerous, map segments.

The other map products from Garmin use large-area segments so that the number of segments loaded at any one time is not all that large. Not so for Topo.

What I find is that Topo segments for western USA max out at about 375mb due to the 2025 count limit.

A bunch of us have been bugging Garmin to increase this limit or update Topo to use large-area segments. If you use Topo, the 1gig and 2gig cards are a waste. I use my 60Cx only for hiking, so Topo is all I ever use. For Topo the 512mb cards are the max practical size to install.

Thanks to Segler999. I may just use the original 128 card to load whatever I need at the time. I'll put my 2 cents in with them too. This is all so much fun, the wife will just have to understand, it was well worth the money. (Actually, she is into it at least as much as I)