Travel Bug Ethics

cabokalz

Being new to geocaching (turned-on to Geocaching 01/13/07) and imediatley purchasing GPS, starting geocaching on my own as soon as UPS dropped package on my front porch. My concern is, normally how long does one retain or hold captive a discovered and retrieved Travel Bug? The reason I ask is that I'm about to travel to the east coast from the west coast and would like to take said TB with. But trip isn't for a month. Any problems here?

Thanx,

Cabokalz :blink:

Generally you should only hold a bug for about two weeks. In your case you can email the owner and ask them if you can hold on to it longer. I'm guessing they'll be okay with it.

Alos, if you some reason you can't get out caching and are holding it longer than three weeks you should email the owner and let them know you haven't forgotten about their bug.

I've held bugs for about a month before going on a good trip. E-mail the ower and let him or her know of your intentions. Also tell them if they would rather see the bug circulate, that you'll drop it in a local cache. Most bug owners are fine with you holding on to one for a while as long as they know it is going to move.

I say with in a two week period is a good turnaround. For a long trip, a month should be fine. I have found it is sometimes hard to get the TB's back out in a two week period. It is up to the owner. As an owner of several TB's, I find it interesting as to how far my TB's and coins travel. I also think there are other forms related to this topic that I remeber seeing.

And make sure where ever you drop it off that you can log it immediately or very soon, before someone else picks it up. So have a library or something at the end of your trip where you can log from.

As a truck driver, this can sometimes be a problem for me. If I anticipate such, I will attach a note with explanation to the next stating what time I will have it logged by, and an apology if I caused them any inconvenience. So far, I have heard no complaints, but keep in mind the delay has never been more than 48 hours.