geocoin clubs?

GeoSmurfz

Hello all, I saw two sites that have geocoin clubs. It seems kinda cool that you would get a coin every month through the site. But I saw one site that offered up to 25 coins for 3 or 6 months. I was thinking of joining one of these geocoin clubs. Then my wife started asking if all 25 were the same and stuff. I am most likely sure they are. But I wanted to know if it was worth joining. Not knowing what it was going to look like and just get it. I just wanted to get thoughts from anyone that is part of one of the geocoin clubs and see what they thought about it. Also if there were any club sites that I might not have seen. Any info on this would be very helpful.

Each club, geocoinclub or geoswag coins&pins club, issues a new coin each month to their club members. You can subscribe to as many as you want of the same coin each month. Only difference is that one club you commit in advance and renew every 3-6 or 12 months, the other is automatically debited from your Paypal account each month. If you like coins it's a great way to start.

You can see some of the coin of the month flavours at the sites.... Geoswag.com is currently selling combo pairs, while Geocoinclub.com has back issues for the past 6 months or so. On Geoswag you don't have to be a member to buy available back issues but on GCC you do.

Hey GeoSmurfz -

I belong to both clubs and get only one coin a month. Unless it's a really nice coin, then I wait for them to put the extras on sale and get more. My wife and son sometimes like one and I'll get an extra for them. The coins are generally good quality, but maybe not every month's coin will be an exciting design. I still recommend them.

I'm a member of both. I started out getting one of the geoswag coins a month. I then joined the GCC, getting 2 coins a month so I have one to send out. I've since added a second one to my geoswag subscription. The put out nice coins. For me, getting the second coin to send out 'justifies it' and keeps it a geocaching activity as opposed to just buying pretty coins.

I'm a member of both. I started out getting one of the geoswag coins a month. I then joined the GCC, getting 2 coins a month so I have one to send out. I've since added a second one to my geoswag subscription. The put out nice coins. For me, getting the second coin to send out 'justifies it' and keeps it a geocaching activity as opposed to just buying pretty coins.

But I like buying pretty coins !!! :blink:

I try to remember that geocaching is the main objective here. But buying coins, trading coins, and this forum gives me something to do on cold, windy Saturdays when I refuse to go stomping thru the woods.

I am a member of the geocoinclub and the geoswag coins&pins club. These are the only 2 geocoin clubs I know of. I am new to geocaching and collecting geocoins and I thought this would be a good way to get my collection going. I joined in November and received coins for Dec. I haven't gotten anything for Jan. and to be honest, I am not even sure how these clubs work. :huh::huh:

The best way to build your collection is to have your own coin made.

Seriously, pay to have 100 or so coins made and then trade them for the ones you want.

You have to shell out money out of pocket up front in a lump sum, but in the end you're paying less per coin this way.

What I mean is that MOST coins these days sell for $8-$10. Multiple by 100 = $800-$1,000.

have your own made from somehwere around $500-$600 and you are money ahead and have a nice signature item, too!

The best way to build your collection is to have your own coin made.

Seriously, pay to have 100 or so coins made and then trade them for the ones you want.

You have to shell out money out of pocket up front in a lump sum, but in the end you're paying less per coin this way.

What I mean is that MOST coins these days sell for $8-$10. Multiple by 100 = $800-$1,000.

have your own made from somehwere around $500-$600 and you are money ahead and have a nice signature item, too!

Thats a good idea. But I have no artist skills at all to make a geocoin. I have thoughts in my head but I can't draw or anything. I do have a geocoin that is being made from the Top 40 Geocoin. But not much art skill was needed there for that coin. I saw one site that if you have a coin to be made but don't have the money and they like the idea. They would make it and give you around 100 and sell the rest to cover the cost. Is that worth checking out?? I am going to have a few other ones made with the group but the art work is already done for them. So I didn't have to try to make them thank God for that. So I really can't afford to have any others made in the next few months (like 6 or so months).

Thats a good idea. But I have no artist skills at all to make a geocoin. I have thoughts in my head but I can't draw or anything. I do have a geocoin that is being made from the Top 40 Geocoin. But not much art skill was needed there for that coin. I saw one site that if you have a coin to be made but don't have the money and they like the idea. They would make it and give you around 100 and sell the rest to cover the cost. Is that worth checking out?? I am going to have a few other ones made with the group but the art work is already done for them. So I didn't have to try to make them thank God for that. So I really can't afford to have any others made in the next few months (like 6 or so months).

If your looking for someone to draw up your artwork for you, go to

<commercial link removed by moderator>

Take a look at his portfolio; its pretty impressive. (Soon our coin will be on there and I have no artistic skills as well)

Edited by Eartha

Have any other geocoin clubs come about since this topic was last active? Perhaps a European one? Not being patriotic, just thinking about costs. :)

I remember an email from Steve of HogWildStuff a long time ago where he was talking about a club where you got 1 each of the latest geocoins that he produced (not the benchmark geocoins). Not sure if that ever got off the ground or not.

Have any other geocoin clubs come about since this topic was last active? Perhaps a European one? Not being patriotic, just thinking about costs. :)

I remember an email from Steve of HogWildStuff a long time ago where he was talking about a club where you got 1 each of the latest geocoins that he produced (not the benchmark geocoins). Not sure if that ever got off the ground or not.

keewee, SO nice to see you back!!

i just joined geoswag - mostly because i am interested in the feb masquerade coin.

keewee, SO nice to see you back!!

i just joined geoswag - mostly because i am interested in the feb masquerade coin.

Thanks Lara. Thought I'd drop in for a look. :)

Not that I am aware of. What we used to do was have one person buy for a group to save on shipping. For instance, if we were in the Geocoin and Pin club and wanted to get the Masquerade mask due out in February, we would have 1 person sign up for 10 coins (or however many the group wanted) and then they were all sent to one person. Saved a lot on shipping, there were 4-5 clubs formed this way, it was quite common back in late 2005 and early 2006. (shipping 30 or so coins to the same address was much cheaper).