Caching By motorcycle in Pa.

Billk72

I am curious how many of us cache a route while on the motorcycle. Cause I know My wife and will gas up and just go for a slow cruise for a entire day. I know several great routes for a beautiful ride and scenery. I am planning on placing several Micros along these route. I was curious what kind of interest this would spark.

We're not in PA but do use our bike to cache. We usually park the RV for the night and then cache until dark while on vacation. At home, we just take the bike out and cache. Only varience is CAM (cache across MD). Hubby has been know to get up early with the bike and travel all over MD for up to 14 hours grabbing those last couple of caches!

Terri

The only problem with caching by motorcycle (for me) has been the pants. :yikes:

I like to hike in shorts. I always ride in long pants.

Hence the quandry. (and no, zip off's don't cut it - they're too thin for riding).

Plus, once I'm on the bike and enjoying the scenery, suddenly - stopping and looking for a piece of tupperware (or a hide-a-key) becomes less attractive! :)

I spend a great deal of time riding through Eastern PA....I'm in NJ - but most Sunday rides start at 7am....and we end up getting home after 3-400 miles..... (but no caches!).

Warning - motorcycling can be hazardous to your caching (once you get on the bike - you just DON'T want to stop riding!). <_< It's been hazardous for my climbing too (warm sunny days are spent on the bike instead of on the rock!).

Edited by HartClimbs

I've thought of that also. Finding a good route that includes a few good scenic/historical locations and placing micros or just having virtuals.

We love caching by motorcycle. FYI, you can't place new virtual caches on geocaching.com. I'm personally not overly fond of doing a string of roadside micros either.

Hart- Get yourself a pair of chaps. They go on right over your shorts, and have zippered legs so you don't even have to remove your boots. They'll also protect you better in a fall then normal jeans. You can also get yourself a pair of riding overpants. Many of the new high-tech ones offer more protection then chaps. The trick is finding a pair that doesn't make you look like a riceboi! (logos, racing stripes, etc. Blech!)

I'm lucky enough to be able to wear shorts to work every day, but I'd go helmetless (I don't) before wearing shorts on the bike.

I've thought of that also. Finding a good route that includes a few good scenic/historical locations and placing micros or just having virtuals.

We love caching by motorcycle. FYI, you can't place new virtual caches on geocaching.com. I'm personally not overly fond of doing a string of roadside micros either.

Hart- Get yourself a pair of chaps. They go on right over your shorts, and have zippered legs so you don't even have to remove your boots. They'll also protect you better in a fall then normal jeans. You can also get yourself a pair of riding overpants. Many of the new high-tech ones offer more protection then chaps. The trick is finding a pair that doesn't make you look like a riceboi! (logos, racing stripes, etc. Blech!)

I'm lucky enough to be able to wear shorts to work every day, but I'd go helmetless (I don't) before wearing shorts on the bike.

Good idea - I've resisted the chaps so far though. I can't help thinking "Village People" every time one of my friends wears 'em on a cold ride. So, if you're hiking through the forest, and hear refrains of "Y M C A"... it's probably me! >grin<

I'm with you on the bike/shorts issue. The air-cooled Harleys are hot on the legs (and crotch) even in long pants. It'd be suicide to wear shorts (even forgetting the road rash issues!). Hope to see you on the road when it gets warmer!

Like I said, all the nice rides through 7 lakes Drive in Harriman - I can never manage to stop the bike and get off to hike. It's just such a great place to ride.........

CJ and I like to travel in warmer months (finally had to give up) on our H.D.s (Hers is a T.B.)

Sometimes we have problems hiding our helmets (part way in -mark). Some areas you worry enough about your CAR, much less having parts removed, or worse, bike missing.

But, I believe it has made it a very pleasant experience. You notice a lot more on bike.

Yeah I agree with all the comments hence why I posted I was thinking about a nice scenic loop of about 150 miles with a stop maybe every 30 to 40 miles. Also don't like leaving bike so I was planning on placing the micros only 40 to 50 yd from road. So no big need for shorts or the worry about your bike it should be with in eyesight. I also don't like the idea of frequent stops that why I am thinking 30-40 miles normally by then I can use a drink so pulling over isn't to bad of a Idea grab a soda from the saddle bag fill out a log and go.

I find I go much farther to get one or two nice caches when I'm on the bike.

It's not uncommen to find myself caching one or two states from home on a nice summer day.

I ride as long as the roads aren't sanded. Side zip riding pants can hide a pair of shorts when its warm enough, and keep me comfortable enough to ride till the snow flies.

A few years ago I upsized my bike so I'd have room to lock stuff in it when out on the trail.23bb1e49-0fc3-403c-bed0-a5e9f074606c.jpg

Caching in New Hampshire.

a63ba4af-9d02-43cb-b1ff-c7547e36c46a.jpg

Caching in Mass.

1f94efaa-9325-4fd1-8f47-cf741a4ca731.jpg

Caching in N.Y.

Barefoot, you forgot:

>snip really nice bike picture<

Caching in CT

Sharing nice bike pictures, are we? It was a nice year for riding.....

Caching through New England (ok...so only riding really).....

cc1a8724-efc5-47d8-99aa-254f5547e0ec.jpg

And caching (ahem....I mean riding) down the blueridge parkway, the smokies, then a nice ride home. The only thing I missed this fall were the caches!

dea54bf1-26c4-43d9-be18-5b8324086f69.jpg

I can't wait for it to be riding season again! We try to balance backroads with superslab, as I prefer the twisties and Barefoot prefers to get there as directly as possible. This year, we have to get the whole bike to bike communications thing set...we've had very poor luck with them so far. Of course, if we'd stop using them in the pouring rain like in the picture of me above in New Hampshire, they might last longer.

LisaS

I actually got into caching through a motorcycle forum I belong to. Great way to combine two addictive hobbies. A friend and I did several motorcycle/caching trips last summer and we're looking forward to doing more this summer. My husband and I enjoy riding in the evenings after work. Caching gives us a destination.

Thanks for hipping us to Alan2's Covered Bridge caches. Thats a great idea for riding & caching. I can drag along some of the guys, who wouldn't otherwise be interested in geocaching, but would love a nice destination... and then when I've got 'em... WHAM, they'll be geocachers!

Its a dastardly plan, but it just might work.

I am already of thinking of routes for the upcoming riding season. I am thinking of planning a few of my own caches for my general area that will be good for those of us on motorcycle. I am going to give the chaps with shorts a try too, what a fashion statement that will be <_< It will be good for O-Boy to get a chance to stretch his legs and mine too. Has the snow melted yet???????????

Anyone else going to Laconia this year? We don't really partake in all the Weirs beach madness, but we'll be in staying in North Conway for all of bike week. It's nice when 80% of the other vehicles on the road and in the parking lots have less then 4 wheels.

Anyone else going to Laconia this year? We don't really partake in all the Weirs beach madness, but we'll be in staying in North Conway for all of bike week. It's nice when 80% of the other vehicles on the road and in the parking lots have less then 4 wheels.

I'm hoping to be going and (if so) will be staying with family in nearby Wolfeboro. Will drop you a line before then if things come together.

The ride around the lake is beautiful, and there's fantastic riding around N. Conway.

My wife and I are retired and do a lot of traveling by fifthwheel. We head to Fl for a couple of months each year to get some heat back into our bones. I built a rack for the back of the camper and carry my dual sport with me. One of the reasons I got into caching is two fold. First my wife loves the beach and spends as much time on it as possible. I hate it so I needed something to do while she is gettin a tan. Exploring new places on bike and foot is a heck of a lot of fun, and it's a heck of a lot better on gas with the bike. Florida has a lot of state parks that are full of caches. I spent almost a week at one and never got out of the park.

I'm hoping to be going and (if so) will be staying with family in nearby Wolfeboro. Will drop you a line before then if things come together.

The ride around the lake is beautiful, and there's fantastic riding around N. Conway.

Bump!