Quality Caches

geocacher_coza

Tried to find the thread where it was discussed to improve the quality of our caches. I think at the time it was started by Warthog. We should start the drive again to improve the quality of our caches. Lets do away with caches that have cheap toys inside an ice cream containers wrapped in black plastic bags. :ph34r:

Personally I try to prepare a cache by using a watertight container like a "lock and lock" or similar. Then I "camo" it and stencil the geocaching info onto it. Inside I normally have all the items in ziplock plastic bags. Swag normaly include a good quality logbook, pencil and sharpener. Also inside will be my signature items-FTF "coin" and a JEEP key ring. Then I also have stuff like a compass whistle, small multi tool, compass pen etc. I always try to fill the cache with items worth trading.

This thread is an "extension" of the micro cache debate! Please post the answers to the following questions

1. How much are you prepared to spend on a cache?

2. What type of swag do you put into your caches?

3. What type of containers do you use?

4. How do you prepare your container?

5. Post photos of your finished cache container

471fef08-f157-45fa-874d-740c46317c74.jpg

Edited by geocacher_coza

As much as it takes to ensure it is of a high standard with good value goodies in it. More often than not, I hand make the log book from hand-made paper.

I try to put a reasonable variety of swag. Some low value, some high value, but always try to be original. There's enough variety for just about anyone to trade up or trade even.

This varies enormously depending on the proposed site. Usually the locking type of container, but any reasonably sturdy plastic container with a really good sealing lid will do for me.

Again, this depends on the location. Sometimes in a camouflage bag, sometimes painted in camo colours, sometimes disguised as "other things"

If I knew how to post pics to the forum, I'd do so ....... :laughing:

I agree in the placing of quality caches. Usually when we place caches they cost us a decent amount (See below) but we only tend to follow the 10% rule. Place 1 cache for every 10 found.

However much is needed to get a good container, Lock and Lock, a decent log book and clutch pencil, and decent Meerkat related swag. Around R100 upwards, depending on size.

Meerkat related stuff (Bookmarks, stickers, etc.), generally fun stuff which you can have fun with or display decently (magnetic games, collector's Asterix or similar stuff from Kinder eggs, etc.) and African related items (Metal car stickers, african items, etc.)

So far only Lock and Lock type containers. We have yet to place a micro.

Rock in the Ripples was my best (we sprayed it with stone/sand like spray), but usually it's just the container in a gallon zip lock bag with all contents in their own seperate zip lock bags in case of leaks.

Unfortunately no phots to be seen.

Place 1 cache for every 10 found.

I would find it very difficult to hide 1 cache for every 10 I have found. That would mean over 80 hides for myself and I can't imagine having to take of and maintain them in a good manner the way they should be maintained. I would say just place as many as you can properly maintain. I suppose micro's would be easy to maintain but I prefer a traditional type of cache hide. JMHO

Well said, Haffy!

Place only as many caches as you can and are prepared to maintain properly, on a regular basis - that's what we believe in and try to practice.

Ditto.

The "10% rule" is probably a good rule of thumb for noobs wanting to hide caches. But once you head past 100 finds, carefully consider what you can realistically maintain. This number will be different for everyone, so there's no golden rule.

I don't understand why everyone is so hung up on the number of finds versus number of hides. Some cachers PREFER hiding to finding. Especially when a large number of the new caches are micros. (I HATE MICROS) so won't go looking.

I do, however, thoroughly enjoy seeking out new locations and placing caches.

If the 10% "rule" is to be adhered to, I would have 3 caches placed.

I have more than that - all of which have had good feedback for location, hints, and quality of goodies.

If placed caches are below standard, forum members will be quick to comment, thereby helping cache hiders to do it better.

There are relatively few caches in South Africa. Those of us who prefer hiding to placing won't conform to the "10% rule", not for any perverse reason, or for lack of maintenance skills, but because that is the aspect of the game that they really enjoy.

Grawp, I think the point everyone is trying to make is that it'd be nice if people could have a higher hide to find ratio (10 PLUS %) - at least until it becomes questionable to maintain a large number of caches.

So good on you to plant so many. Now will you please come live in Cape Town!

I agree that a 10:1 find:hide ratio would be a good guideline to maintain, but, as I said, with relatively few caches in RSA, I don't think this can be the 'norm' here for a while yet.

I was browsing the forums the other day where there were a couple of maps of caches in a few towns in USA. Wow! There are probably 3 to 5 times more caches in one town in America than there are in the whole of South Africa!

Our cache numbers are steadily increasing, which is great, (some new members would also be great!), which all adds to the game. Maintenance CAN be an issue, but if caches are placed with maintenance in mind - ie reasonably close to home base, then this shouldn't be an issue.

On that point, though, I have seen 'local' caches placed long distances away from each other by some cachers, making me wonder how they can possibly be efficiently maintained. B)

I have found some amazing places to plant caches, but they're too far away for maintenance. No ..... I won't tell you where they are!!! B)

Thanks for the offer, but playing in the Sandpit is where I want to be. No disrespect to Cape Town, but KZN is WAY COOL!!!!

Edited by Grawp

When it comes to quality of caches, I don't think that containers and contents are the most important thing. (although granted i was very impressed with Durbans quality of containers and contents, which did make the experience nicer)

I would dearly love to be able to have the creative skill of noddy and John_gill in making awsome containers, but i'm afraid i dont think I ever will.

Also, being on a tight budget at the moment, i cant splash out on containers, but luckily have inherited a huge load of power shake containers - my caches now all smell of chocolate B)

However, i believe that even though most of my caches might not have the most exciting containers, 90% (hey, I cant be perfect all the time B)) of them are quality caches, as they either are in quality areas, or have some form of twist to separate them from the norm.

On the point of 10:1 ratio, that seems fine until you start hitting the 1000s like the huskies. Hard to keep that up. And naturaly folks in not as busy areas like durbs and PE would have a higher place to find ratio that the rest.

On the point of placing caches far away, i beelive that it is alright to place a cache in an area that one cant maintain, if that area is completely devoid of caches, so that at least someone visiting there will have a cache to hunt. If it turns out to not be found, it can always be disabled until one does go back.

I have found some amazing places to plant caches, but they're too far away for maintenance. No ..... I won't tell you where they are!!! :D

So, why not share this with a new or old member that is in the area or in a position to maintain... that way those numbers grow. ;)

I've thought about exactly that! But, (being a bit selfish here) want to first see if I can find a way of using these places myself. If I cannot manage it, then yes, with pleasure, they;ll be shown to other cachers.

I know I started with the 10% rule on this thread, and it seems to have kicked up quite a fuss, but I will quote from Pirates of the Caribbean "...the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules!"

Obviously this only works for Noobs and should be ignored when the amount of caches becomes more than you can handle and if you find a place you want to hide a cache, well... "Hang the code, and hang the rules! They're more like guidelines anyway!"

This is what the forums are for.

You haven't "kicked up a fuss" - you voiced your concerns and interest in the game, others have commented with their own views - no-one got cross, angry or upset, all comments were valid and interesting.

I reckon it was a good topic. It certainly brought the cache maintenance issue to everyone's notice, and that is a GOOD THING!

Off topic: Just a comment .... coincidentally, I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean the other evening. I have a strong suspicion that someone on the crew - writer, director or actor - is a cacher. Hidden treasure, treasure hunters, and the comment about "guidelines" was all a bit to close to geocaching. What do you think?