Historical Maps of New Jersey

Wayfinders

Thanks Brian and Alan!

Brian, as a Mod I thought you might throw me to off topic....but to me caching and mapping go hand in hand and I figured folks could use some of the images on their cache pages so.....thanks!

And Alan, I figured you're a history buff and I plan to get "High Bridge History" off my list soon!

Thanks Brian and Alan!

Brian, as a Mod I thought you might throw me to off topic....but to me caching and mapping go hand in hand and I figured folks could use some of the images on their cache pages so.....thanks!

And Alan, I figured you're a history buff and I plan to get "High Bridge History" off my list soon!

I'm not a mod here. Just a regular poster. Besides, maps are on topic for geocaching. Nobody says they have to be new ones <_< .

I am looking for a map of Revolutionary War Encampments around the Preakness area.

There are several old maps in the Wayne Township Local History section, but none from that era.

If you want old maps from other places. The Library of congress has quite a collection.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/browse/ListSome.php?format=Map

Edited by Packanack

Map heaven!

I think I discovered this site awhile back and forgot about it. Someplace I have a link to a site with old topo maps which I find particulary fascinating.

I also am fascinated by the railroad maps...if we only had soem of those rail lines in place today ...though we might be missing some fine railtrails.

Thanks....I'm going to get mapped!

USGS Topo Maps through the National Geographic CD Rom series is a good source for rail lines active and inactive. I noticed a new cache by BrianSnat come up on an old rail bridge up near Greenwood Lake. I have been advocating a rail trail conversion on the old Erie Line that ran from Pompton Lakes up to Peter's Mine in Ringwood--Passaic County being the only County in NJ without a dedicated multi use trail. My cries go unheaded.

A rail trail from Mountain View Wayne Rail Station 6.5 miles to Riverdale through Pequannock is on the drawing boards but much of it is rideable with a mtn bike. It is also cacheless--Hint--Hint.

Rails to Trails Conservancy has good trail map access.