Belted Kingfisher personal geocoin

Belted Kingfisher

This is to get a feedback from everyone on the number of coins to mint.

6n-00697.jpg

Here is the design artwork for my personal geocoin. The coin will be a 45mm 1 ¾ diameter 3mm coin. The front is my caching name and a 3D image of my favorite bird. . The back represents the tools used for geocaching with four symbols. A GPS unit, satellite, cache and a simple compass design around the edge. My plan is to mint between 250 and 500 coins in three or four finishes. Antique silver, antique copper, antique bronze and maybe black nickel. The coins will be trackable and have thier own Icon. The minter will be Oakcoins.

This is NOT a pre order yet, just an announcement as to my design. However you can reserve coins by sending me an e-mail with “Belted Kingfisher coin reservation” in the subject line.

Include your finish preference.

Caching Name:

PayPal e-mail address:

Street:

City:

State:

Zip:

I will begin a pre sale after I receive the samples coins and see how they look. By then I will know how many to mint.

The cost of the coin will be $ 7.25 if I mint 250 coin and $6.75 if I mint 500 coins plus actual shipping costs which will include any paypal fees.

This may delay shipping but one of my pet peeves is getting screwed on shipping charges.

The art work just arrived, and I will be ordering samples coins before minting so we are most likely 6 to 8 weeks out before the coin will be in hand.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Nice personal coin. Will you be making any trades?

I will wait and see whats left after I have a presale to determine what is available for trading.

Ok, thanks. I'll wait to see photos of the samples and maybe just buy in the end.

One thing, since you're making them in 3D, you might consider increasing the coin thickness to 3.5MM or 4MM since at 3MM, they'll be very thin.

<snip>

. . . plus actual shipping costs which will include any paypal fees.

This may delay shipping but one of my pet peeves is getting screwed on shipping charges.

I understand your concern, but as an “International” purchaser I know “getting screwed on shipping charges” can go both ways.

As I have posted before, I was once quoted $18 to send one coin to Australia! :blink:

I was grateful that an excellent guide was provided for US shippers in this post.

PS I really like the coin and would love a copper or two! :laughing:

One thing, since you're making them in 3D, you might consider increasing the coin thickness to 3.5MM or 4MM since at 3MM, they'll be very thin.

I agree with AtlantaGal, about the increased thickness. It makes it a bit more expensive but it is well worth the extra price in the final product, as the coin feels much more substantial.

For me coins have to have a certain weight to feel "right".

I just send you an e-mail. Thanks

[The cost of the coin will be $ 7.25 if I mint 250 coin and $6.75 if I mint 500 coins plus actual shipping costs which will include any paypal fees.

I currently have reservations for 75 coins. I have made a slight change to the artwork, shifting the birds left just a little bit and adding color to the center circle on the GPS on back. I will be changing the thickness to 3.5mm after suggestions from other cachers who have minted coins. This will change the price to $7.00 for a 500 coin minting and $7.50 for a 250 coin minting. I will officially make this change on Thursday January 25th anyone who has sent reservations in before that date will receive the original price. After that date the new pricing applies.

you can reserve coins by sending me an e-mail Belted.kingfisher@verizon.net

Edited by Belted Kingfisher

Thanks for the update. That should make it a very nice looking coin.

Did you get my email I had sent before reserving a set of coins?

[The cost of the coin will be $ 7.25 if I mint 250 coin and $6.75 if I mint 500 coins plus actual shipping costs which will include any paypal fees.

I currently have reservations for 75 coins. I have made a slight change to the artwork, shifting the birds left just a little bit and adding color to the center circle on the GPS on back. I will be changing the thickness to 3.5mm after suggestions from other cachers who have minted coins. This will change the price to $7.00 for a 500 coin minting and $7.50 for a 250 coin minting. I will officially make this change on Thursday January 25th anyone who has sent reservation in before that date will receive the original price. After that data the new pricing applies.

Thanks for the update. That should make it a very nice looking coin.

Did you get my email I had sent before reserving a set of coins?

I currently have reservations for 75 coins. I have made a slight change to the artwork, shifting the birds left just a little bit and adding color to the center circle on the GPS on back. I will be changing the thickness to 3.5mm after suggestions from other cachers who have minted coins. This will change the price to $7.00 for a 500 coin minting and $7.50 for a 250 coin minting. I will officially make this change on Thursday January 25th anyone who has sent reservation in before that date will receive the original price. After that data the new pricing applies.

I did receive your e-mail. Everyone who has posted here with Email sent I have received a message from.

I currently have reservations for 75 coins. I have made a slight change to the artwork, shifting the birds left just a little bit and adding color to the center circle on the GPS on back. I will be changing the thickness to 3.5mm after suggestions from other cachers who have minted coins. This will change the price to $7.00 for a 500 coin minting and $7.50 for a 250 coin minting. I will officially make this change on Thursday January 25th anyone who has sent reservations in before that date will receive the original price. After that date the new pricing applies.

you can reserve coins by sending me an e-mail Belted.kingfisher@verizon.net

6n-00697-1.jpg

Today at midnight is the last day to get the discount pricing!

This post is to announce the presale of my first personal geocoin.

The coins will be 1.75 inch diameter 3.5mm solid brass or copper coin. The front will have a 3D depiction of both a male and female “Ceryle alcyon” Belted Kingfisher. The back of the coin will have four symbols representing the tools and technology of Geocaching.

The mint I have chosen to use is Oakcoins.

These coins will be trackable on geocaching.com and have their own Icon. BKgeocoinv32-2b.gif

The artwork has been submitted and the dies have been paid for. I expect to have the sample in hand in about two weeks and hopefully have pictures to post before that.

After I have the sample and verify the look and feel I will place the final order. The current expected time frame is mid March for final coins.

Now on to the details.

6n-00697-2.jpg

The total mint run will be 500 coins.

There will be four solid and two LE two tone versions for sale for a total of 400.

50 – Black Nickel

75 - Antique Silver

75 - Antique Bronze

100 - Antique Copper

LE Coins:

50 – Polished Gold – Silver

50 – Polished Silver – Copper

In addition to this there will be two special versions minted.

There will be 50 – two tone Black Nickel – Nickel coins minted for placing is caches around the world. The majority of these coins will be sent along with your orders to be placed in a cache near your home. These coin are meant to travel and never be colleted so if you see them is someone collection or for sale they will be consider stolen.

The last 50 coins will be Copper – Silver, the only way to get these is directly from me as a gift or in one of my caches.

The final cost of the coins will be $7.25 for the regular and $8.50 for the LE coins.

Anyone who reserved coins during the design of my coin will receive the original pricing.

After many recommendations from other geocacher who have created their own coins here are the shipping fees.

US orders - $1.50 for the first coin and .50 cent for each additional coin.

International orders - Contact me so we can figure out the most cost effect way to ship them to you.

I will send invoices out a week or two before I expect to have the coins. You can pay via Paypal, check or money order. If you would like to pay with check or money order just let me know this will delay your coins until payment has been cleared, so send it in early if you do not want your coins delayed.

To order coins send an e-mail to belted.kingfisher@verizon.net with your

Caching Name:

PayPal e-mail address:

Street:

City:

State:

Zip:

number and finish of coin you want:

If you have sent in a reservation during the design there is no need to send me a second E-mail unless you are changing your order.

The first 15 people to order a complete set of all 6 coins will receive them for $42.00 plus shipping. :D

Just to give everyone an update. I'm still waiting on pictures from the mint and sample coins. I have orders for just over 200 coins, so I might drop the mint run to between 300 and 400 hundred coins depending on how many coins are sold before I place the order. The price will not change if I mint fewer coins. For those of you that have ask about trades, you can specify which finish you would like to trade and I will place you on a trade list. However I don’t plan on having very many left over.

There are a few of the sets of 6 still left, so if you want them send me a e-mail. :unsure:

All the special coins set are now gone.

I'm still waiting on the photos and samples to arrive, hopefully I will hear back from Oakcoins about the status. I was expecting the photos this week.

The coin run will be 500 coins: :rolleyes:

Here is what is left.

All spoken for – Black Nickel

6 - Antique Silver

10 - Antique Bronze

15 - Antique Copper

LE Coins:

15 – Polished Bronze – Silver

14 – Polished Silver – Copper

If you want purchase any coins you better send your requests in now. :huh:

Here are photos of the regular sample coins; I'm still waiting for the photos of the LE Coins. The coins look awesome, and as always the coins are much better than the pictures. The final coins will have a light sandblasting on the recessed metal.

Close up picture of the birds showing the detail on the coin.

Detail.jpg

Copper

s1copper.jpgs2copper.jpg

Silver

S1silver-1.jpgS1silver.jpg

Bronze

s1bronze.jpgs2bronze.jpg

Black Nickel

s1Black-1.jpgs2Black.jpg

I will post the LE Versions when I get the Sample coins. The LE version will not be polished they will have an antique finish like the regular coins.

I will place the order for the coins in the next week or so.

Coin update:

I’m waiting on two tone samples before placing the order for the coins.

Once I place the order I will begin sending out invoices. For international orders the shipping will be on the invoice.

Here is what is left for coins.

2 - Antique Silver

7 - Antique Bronze

9 - Antique Copper

LE Coins:

8 – Bronze – Silver

9 – Silver – Copper

For those of you who have requested trades I have place you on a trading list.

At this point if you have posted a here and not sent an E-mail request in, please do so now. I believe I have replied to everyone who has ordered. If you have not received a reply and you want to make sure I have your order just shoot me an e-mail, if you do not get a reply make sure you post here that an e-mail was sent. I want to make sure everone get thier coins. belted.kingfisher@verizon.net or belted.kingfisher@gmail.com

Just updating everyone on the coin status.

I am still waiting on the two tone Sample coins. We had a mix-up on these samples coins and somehow we did not get them ordered until March 3rd. I am in the process of getting invoices, shipping labels created, packaging material, ect ready to ship when the coins arrival. I will post a notice here when the final coins are ordered and then start sending out invoices with the expectation that payment will be received when I receive the coins from the Mint.

I still have a few coins left:

1 - Antique Silver

3 - Antique Bronze

8 - Antique Copper

LE Coins:

7 – Bronze – Silver

7 – Silver – Copper

Thank you for your continued patience.

Just updating everyone on the coin status.

I am still waiting on the two tone Sample coins. We had a mix-up on these samples coins and somehow we did not get them ordered until March 3rd. I am in the process of getting invoices, shipping labels created, packaging material, ect ready to ship when the coins arrival. I will post a notice here when the final coins are ordered and then start sending out invoices with the expectation that payment will be received when I receive the coins from the Mint.

I still have a few coins left:

1 - Antique Silver

3 - Antique Bronze

8 - Antique Copper

LE Coins:

7 – Bronze – Silver

7 – Silver – Copper

Thank you for your continued patience.

Interested in a trade for your 2-tone coins. Please PM me. Thanks.

The two tone sample picture from the Mint is finally here. Here are the pictures of front and back.

All the coins will have the texture on the recessed metal including the regular coins.

The black nickel-nickel coins do not look much different from the regular black nickel. So I will probably be changing then to something different. They are the giveaway coins for placing in caches so I will pick something I like and go with that.

I need help deciding if I should have the two tone coins polished or not. These coins are polished and the regular coins are not.

Post your vote here so I can get the final order placed the frist part of next week.

TT-FRONT.jpg

TT-BACK.jpg