We need a proper term.

Sioneva

Okay. You're out caching by yourself. You approach the cache site, and you hear voices. You duck behind a tree, and peek out, and lo and behold you spot a ______________ of cachers, clustered around the ammo can. My question is, what do you call them?

You can have a herd of cows, a murder of crows, a pod of whales, a parliament of owls, an exaltation of larks... but what do you call a group of cachers? A boast of cachers? A convergence of cachers? We need a term here!

Okay. You're out caching by yourself. You approach the cache site, and you hear voices. You duck behind a tree, and peek out, and lo and behold you spot a ______________ of cachers, clustered around the ammo can. My question is, what do you call them?

You can have a herd of cows, a murder of crows, a pod of whales, a parliament of owls, an exaltation of larks... but what do you call a group of cachers? A boast of cachers? A convergence of cachers? We need a term here!

system

congregation

jumble

and whats wrong with group?!!?

While carleenp's 'cluster' phrase could oft apply to my life, I like 'convergence of cachers'

From Wikepedia: "In the absence of a more specific context, convergence denotes the approach toward a definite value, as time goes on; or to a definite point, a common view or opinion, or toward a fixed or equilibrium state."

I'd call it an event cache.

But the group sure seems to be caching. By definition, geocaching events are not for the purpose of going to find caches. :blink:

I'll stick with "Confluence"

Edited by Moose Mob

I was trying to picture this hypothetical group of cachers, and two different images came to mind simultaneously: some very businesslike no-nonsense cachers following the arrow and heading straight to the cache, and some rather confused ones walking around in circles following erratic signal-bounce.

Since the first group is doing a "beeline", and the second group is doing the "drunken bee dance", then it seems that the collective term should be bee-related. So, I vote for "swarm".

Edited by the hermit crabs
I was trying to picture this hypothetical group of cachers, and two different images came to mind simultaneously: some very businesslike no-nonsense cachers following the arrow and heading straight to the cache, and some rather confused ones walking around in circles following erratic signal-bounce.

Since the first group is doing a "beeline", and the second group is doing the "drunken bee dance", then it seems that the collective term should be bee-related. So, I vote for "swarm".

Geocachers could be bees but they don't sting anybody. If you watch a group of geocachers closely, they typically walk in a line and carry swag from one cache to another. This seems very similar to the behavior of ants! A group of ants is an army. Hey geocachers even plan their attacks like an army and have to be stealthy! However, most groups of cachers are much smaller than an army; so how about a "platoon" of geocachers! :ph34r: Edited by TrailGators

• a consortium of cachers
  • a cabal of cachers
  • a camarilla of cachers
  • a coadunation of cachers
  • a bevy of cachers
  • a syndicate of caches
  • a mob of cachers
  • a flock of cachers

Gaggle is my common term.

But then you have to look at the size of the gaggle. Is it a buttload, or the lest sited ashload of cachers?

sorry if the terminology above offended anyone, I altered when it slipped through...

edit because I am insensitive, sometimes.

Edited by Jhwk