Here's a caching related coin idea

UOTrackers

Here's one for you other designers. I know that I can NOT doodle people to save my life so this one is up for grabs.

"Caught Caching" (Background) a cacher down on his hand and knees searching under a bush in the dark. (Foreground) Silhouette style police car with an officer standing beside it shining his light on the cacher.

The light would have to be glow in the dark! No ideas yet on the obverse side, so run with it! I'd love to see what anyone comes up with! I sure wish I could toon people!

Here's one for you other designers. I know that I can NOT doodle people to save my life so this one is up for grabs.

"Caught Caching" (Background) a cacher down on his hand and knees searching under a bush in the dark. (Foreground) Silhouette style police car with an officer standing beside it shining his light on the cacher.

The light would have to be glow in the dark! No ideas yet on the obverse side, so run with it! I'd love to see what anyone comes up with! I sure wish I could toon people!

I'm playing with a slightly similar idea.... but it doesn't involve the police. But I like your twist on it since I've BTDT! :blink:

We have a local police officer here who is also a geocacher. His favorite thing to do is place caches, then patrol the area at night and shine his spotlight on anyone he finds searching for the cache in the dark! LOL!! He has scared several cachers half to death! LOL!!

So this would be a great idea for a coin! :ph34r:

I kinda got the idea from two things. The other day I grabbed a FTF not much more than a block from our house. So when my husband got home, after dark, he wanted to go find it. First time he went without a flashlight, just the GPS. Came back, no find, went again with a small flashlight, came back again no find. So I suggested he use a new light he got for Christmas that he forgot about. Sure enough as he was finally grabbing the cache an officer came upon him. After realizing all was well the officer left, but stopped in the middle of the road to converse with yet another officer, obviously on the call over my husband.

Also we have several officers in our area who cache!

I think it would make for a fun coin.

I don't understand the need to make a geocoin out of just anything related to geocaching. What is the point? I don't make a geocoin out of a bandaid because I was cut on a thorn.

More and more cachers just do state coins, and the occasional personal coin if they know the cacher. Every now and then someone like Crake can do an excellent design that's very nice in it's own right.

It's like a contest. Many will enter, few will win. Meaning come out with a nice coin. The time when it was nice to see any coin just to see a coin is gone.

Great idea. I've not been caught/questioned by the police yet (not for caching at least :yikes: ), but by people who administer properties, etc nearby caches... "Yes, just looking for my sons tennis ball... it rolled under this here bush" <_<

I don't understand the need to make a geocoin out of just anything related to geocaching. What is the point? I don't make a geocoin out of a bandaid because I was cut on a thorn.

I completely agree with you. There is getting to be way TOO MUCH nonsense coins especially just because someone one had a brain spasm durning a caching trip or what piece of candy they were eating while caching.

Here's one for those that jump on these, you can get coords on your phone, who wants to be the first to make a phone geocaching coin or make one shaped like a trash bag for CITO (would that be paper or plastic). :):blink:

Edited by jr20

So if its unrelated to geocaching it gets bashed for that....and if its related to geocaching apparently thats not good enough either now? nice to see you cant please some of the people any of the time aint it

(Re the bandaid comment - hasnt the bandaid coin been done already - albeit non trackable)

Like has been said - if its a winner it will be bought - I buy what I like and to h*ll if its related to caching as long as its a cool coin, if its not it wont be caught and no one gets hurt except the coin producers pockets

edited to add, sorry if this offends folks, I ve been working night shift for the last 12 hours and I may not come accross as tactful as ifd like since ive lost the ability to process my grammar to its usual niceties at the moment, its a genuine post not an attmept to bash anyone

Edited by freespirit1402

You need keep in mind that it has become very difficult to come up with an original caching related coin idea. Most of what could be done has already been. So people have decided the heck with it and are now doing non caching related coins. To me it doesn't matter what the coin looks like the joy of finding one in a cache that hasn't been stolen overcomes any crappy design. We shouldn't flame people for trying to come up with an idea. If it is good it will sell if it's crappy then it won't sell. If you dont like it dont buy it but quit bickering/flaming.

This may be harsh but it needed to be said.

Edited by Team Macha

Exactly...if you don't like it, don't buy it and maybe some will come to the realization that some true THOUGHT needs to be put into having a coin made! A nicely made coin will sell well. I didn't hear anyone crying when the Jet coin series came out...what have planes got to do with caching???

I won't buy any candy coins, bowling coins, pool coins, crayon coins or whatever, but I don't care if they are made (even if the coins DO go the same way as the beanie baby). Although, (and I do hope I'm right) I think some of those ideas were in jest!!

edit to add: THIS coin DOES nave something to do with caching though...we've all had close encounters with the LEO, or we soon will have!! I like this coin!! A whimsical back could have the cacher showing the LEO how to find the cache, or how to use the GPS or how to log a find in the logbook with an open ammo box at their feet!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

edit to add: THIS coin DOES nave something to do with caching though...we've all had close encounters with the LEO, or we soon will have!! I like this coin!! A whimsical back could have the cacher showing the LEO how to find the cache, or how to use the GPS or how to log a find in the logbook with an open ammo box at their feet!!

Hey I like that!!! Maybe someone who can draw people will like it too! I have a crazy mind and sometimes my ideas are totally caching related (like this one I thought) and some are more loosely related, like the Geocoin Racers. Then there are those that have the ability to be mass produced so that folks can get their own coin at a lower cost (crayons - which wasn't my idea, I just took point on it) Either way I really enjoy creating designs and having some small way of making additional income for my family without having to put my daughter in day care!

... having some small way of making additional income for my family without having to put my daughter in day care!

This coin aside, I think this is what some of us are complaining about when we talk about the non-caching related coins. It's no longer about coming up with a cool design, or giving back to the community - it's about a way to make money off other cachers.

I'm sure the next person will jump in with the "isn't this America?" or "capitalism at it's best" comment, but it always strikes me as funny that so many of the people in this forum call this a community (meaning that we look out for and take care of each other) but have no problem designing "geocoins" for the sole purpose of taking other cacher's money.

Yes, we're all big boys and girls and nobody is making anybody buy anything - but does that make it right?

Sorry to derail your thread, it was just headed down this route and I wanted to respond. Again, this comment was not directed at this coin in particular, but the rash of coins in general these days.

I agree whole heartedly with Kealia about the coins going south fast!!! If it ISN'T cache related or someone's personal coin, why make it?? A Jelly Bean coin is NOT related at all, I don't care how many you eat while caching! If "cacher A" want to make a personal coin of a jelly bean, go for it, but not a community coin that has no reason.

Too much jumping on the band wagon and not enough thinking about what will happen to the coin market when we get it oversaturated with silly coins!! Like I said, it's likely to go the same way the Beanie Babies did...junk items sitting on a shelf collecting dust!

... having some small way of making additional income for my family without having to put my daughter in day care!

This coin aside, I think this is what some of us are complaining about when we talk about the non-caching related coins. It's no longer about coming up with a cool design, or giving back to the community - it's about a way to make money off other cachers.

I'm sure the next person will jump in with the "isn't this America?" or "capitalism at it's best" comment, but it always strikes me as funny that so many of the people in this forum call this a community (meaning that we look out for and take care of each other) but have no problem designing "geocoins" for the sole purpose of taking other cacher's money.

Yes, we're all big boys and girls and nobody is making anybody buy anything - but does that make it right?

Sorry to derail your thread, it was just headed down this route and I wanted to respond. Again, this comment was not directed at this coin in particular, but the rash of coins in general these days.

Does anyone go to work every day just to make a product to make someone else's life better? I go to work every day so my family can have a comfortable life (and yes, I may also be making someone else's life better at the same time). It is nice to have food, clothing, a home and yes even luxuries. So what if someone wants to make money on a coin? If you don't want to support their lifestyle, then don't buy the coin.

Let your job stop paying you and see how long you stick around for free. I get tired of hearing people complain about whether these coins mean anything to caching. Like someone else said earlier, if it is a bad idea for a coin it won't sell. With so many coins out there not all of them will have a specific "caching" meaning. So what? If you like buying the coins keep buying them. But stop complaining every time someone wants to make money.

If anyone wants to make a coin an give it away... Great. Everyone likes free stuff! Nobody's forcing anyone else to buy a coin. If you can't help but buy every coin that comes out, then seek help!

About the free stuff.... Be sure to include me! :rolleyes:

PS: this is a general reply. It is not pointed at kealia.

One more thing. It was probably the collectors that caused the beanie baby foolishness! Placing coins in caches will keep going as long as geocaching exists. The collecting aspect of geocoins has made this become what it is now. Nothing against collectors! The small percentage who are obsessed with collecting drives up the prices and saturates the market.

Just my 2cents!

That's the beauty of these forums...we GET to voice our opinion...and we can walk away when we "get tired orf hearing people complain".

Making money at your JOB may be one thing...making money off your friends is another (and as Kealia pointed out...this is a community, we look out for each other...even though I'M new to the community)! It WOULD be different if TPTB would stop allowing non-caching related coins, but then, they wouldn't make as much money as they do by allowing them, so we get stuck with the ones that come out! Do we have to buy them...NO, do we have to like them...NO, can we complain about them...YES!! I doubt it's hard to come up with a cache related idea that's fresh...if some real thought is applied!!

Hey, if you don't mind the coins becoming nothing more than shiny chunks of metal collecting dust, then great. If you are REALLY worried about someone's kids eating or WHATEVER, I'd think that preserving the integrity of coins would be first in your mind...if we keep making junk coins, they'll go the way of the Beanies and then NO ONE will make ANY money from them...will that be any better??

There's still room for silly and unrelated coins, but let's leave those to the personal coins!!

Do you really think the collectors were the reason why the beanies went belly up??? Not likely...it was those money hungry makers that would make ANYTHING to sell another. FINALLY, John Q Collector had enough and said NO MORE!!!

edit to add: IF coins were being made solely to place in caches, why aren't the manufacturer or the person behind the coin giving them away???

I also like this coin, but that's because it IS cache related in a way!

edit to also add: I'M NOT saying the problem is the coin makers, they ARE making money at their job!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Hi Roddy,

In a way we agree. The hoarding of coins has led to everyone making and selling coins because they know that the hoarders will probably buy it (just like the beanie babies). I don't think there is anything wrong with charging for an item though. If sellers see a market, they will bring a product to the market. Look at all of the scam infomercials on late night tv. They are selling bad products, but there is a market. I can disagree with what they are selling, but ultimately my biggest weapon is in my pocket. I don't have to shell out my hard earned money to buy it.

Some people will, and for the most part we can't stop them. I ran into a guy at a flea market who is still hoarding beanie babies!

To each his own, but people still should not complain because others are benefitting from selling coins! If you don't want it don't buy it and it will go away on its own!

Just my kind of take on it...

Thrown together in about an hour...

ac5257c7-b5cf-4d69-847b-4893724301c3.jpg

Do you really think the collectors were the reason why the beanies went belly up??? Not likely...it was those money hungry makers that would make ANYTHING to sell another. FINALLY, John Q Collector had enough and said NO MORE!!!

I'm really enjoying reading this thread, and am very pleased that it has stayed so civil! I posted the design idea because of all the mentions of coins not being cache related. I thought this idea was at least cache related. But it's taken an interesting twist, which is fine by me.

I'd like to clarify a couple things, that are only pertaining to me. I create Designs NOT Geocoins. Minting the coins is up to the vendor. Selling the coins is up to the vendor. Making the overall profit is up to the vendor. In exchange for my work on the design (which is equivalent to time, and time has a value. Time is a commodity that no one can afford to lose, so we spend it wisely and WE decide how much our time is worth) I am offered a flat $ value or an amount of coins. I choose coins, and then I let the market decide how much they are worth. This exchange allows for me to spend more time with my daughter and not have to put her into daycare! I like this exchange. I love knowing that I am the one who is molding my child. We've been taking her out caching since she was 7 weeks old, I'll bet you she will grow up with a profound respect for nature and all it has to offer! I also give away and drop coins all the time.

Edited by UOTrackers

Hello kdgreene

I agree that there's nothing wrong with the selling of a product for the money...but if the product isn't helping the market intended to be targeted, or even worse, if it's HURTING the market, then that shouldn't happen, should be frowned upon and should be done away with.

Just because one CAN make anything they want, should they??? The government can make as much money as they please, but they don't because they would then saturate the market and the money wouldn't be worth the paper it's made on.

Harley Davidson had (may still have) a concept of NOT oversaturating the market so as to keep the quality (and price) of their bikes up!! Farrari doesn't mass produce to keep their market value up, even OPEC slows production to keep the cost of oil up!!

Just because someone CAN make a coin, should they??? It's really up to us (everyone) to keep the market from being oversaturated...we do that by discussing the possible outcome if this happens, we do this by complaining about the oversaturation...and we do this by not buying those coins which come out that are meaningless to caching.

I agree with you, the problem needs to be addressed from both ends!! We DO need to stop buying every coin that hits the market!! I'd guess that many out there don't realize that there could be a problem of this nature and are busy going about buying any coins that come out!! That's what happened with the Beanies...the manufacturer saw the collectors weakness and used it against them by making tons more and flooding the market. In the end, all those manufacturers did was cut their own throats.

I do agree this coin has a cache tie, it's a good idea and I'd be in for one!! I also applaud your attempt at keeping your child home...GREAT JOB!!!

I'm not trying to upset anyone or belittle anyone, I'm just stating what could happen and hoping others will understand and help to slow the saturation (even if a little)...I'd rather not see my collection of coins crumble in value to a pile of metal.

If I could draw, I'd have already submitted this idea for a coin...hoping I'd get a coin or two for my troubles (like you do UO)...since I can't, I'll have to see if it gets made and then buy one!!