Garmin GPS firmware 3.10 for 60/76C(S)x

jotne

New firmware 60Cx 60CSx 76Cx 76CSx

Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:

* Fix problem where buoy colors were drawn incorrectly.

* Improve robustness of data card tracklog XML.

* Corrected issue where some highway shields were blank.

* Prevent creation of duplicate waypoints for WPL NMEA input.

* Fix problem where last 5 custom waypoint symbols were not usable.

* Prevent propagation along roads when lock to road feature is disabled.

* Add Borneo RSO grid.

* Corrected issue where cummulative distance view on altimeter page wouldn't show whole log.

* Allow diacritical characters in waypoint comments.

* Allow diacritical characters to transfer from Mapsource.

* Increase number of map tiles that will draw at once.

* Added capability to send custom POI waypoints in a route to Mapsource. Requires Mapsource version 6.12. Please refer to http://www.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

60cx 3.10 came out on 12/19/2006. What you you seeing that's new?

Well, what's new is the fact that they only just now are posting this 3.10 update a good long month after releasing it.

What I am most intrigued by is the bullet:

"Increase number of map tiles that will draw at once."

Does this mean that the 2025 map segment limit has been increased?

If so, to what? What is now the maximum map segment limit?

Anybody know?

That is the date when the file was ready, not when it was avilable.

3.10 is still not listed on the 60CSx page:

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1245

But can be downloaded from a direct link.

http://www.garmin.com/software/GPSMAP60CSx_310.exe

Anyway its 100% the same firmware on all 4. You can download any of th 4 file and install them on all 4 GPS. (I have tested it)

60cx 3.10 came out on 12/19/2006. What you you seeing that's new?

Well, what's new is the fact that they only just now are posting this 3.10 update a good long month after releasing it.

What I am most intrigued by is the bullet:

"Increase number of map tiles that will draw at once."

Does this mean that the 2025 map segment limit has been increased?

If so, to what? What is now the maximum map segment limit?

Anybody know?

My guess is this means that as you're scrolling side to side quickly in a map, more map will show and there'll be less blank/draw/blank/draw and you'll just see more map. Donno for sure as I haven't tried it but that's my guess.

Uggg....

Nothing changed of any use for me. The POI display/select bug is still there. The only new thing I see is the ability to add custom POIs to a route.... POI backgrounds are still not transparent.

Oh for a Geocaching utility. Dare to dream.

No kidding. I'm getting frustrated with Garmin. They broke the POI display what, nine months ago? We've had three revisions since they broke it and no fix.

I installed 3.10. However, the GPS shuts itself off shortly after power-on... Put 3.00 back on and everything's erased...

What do you mean?

After 3.10 finished installing the GPS rebooted itself. It then just sat at the satellite screen then after about half a minute, the screen gradually faded then power off.

Edited by technivore

The update is nice, but it doesn't address the 2 major issues I have with my 60Csx

1) Where did the alarm clock go? :ph34r: My Vista C has it, and I like it. (Ok it's a minor issue but....)

2) When auto-routing it doesn't give nearly enough distance warning before the next turn. My Vista C beeps the first time at least 400 m before the next turn I need to make. This POS software on my 60CSx often provides me with a whopping 50 m (or less) before I need to make a turn. Fantastic when you need to take an off ramp and are travelling at 120 km/h. (Insert sarcasm here) So, effectively the unit is useless as far as I am concerned for city navigation. (Unless I'm on a pedal bike) :P

At least in N-route on my laptop the warning distance is adjustable, but it's a real pain in the *** to carry your laptop around.

So, when I'm on the road, I find myself using my Vista C instead of my supposedly "better" (and definitely more expensive) 60 CSx.

I fired an e-mail to Garmin and there reply was:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

1. The alarm clock feature was removed, but has been requested many times.

The engineers are aware of this, but I have not heard any plans to add this

feature back in the firmware.

2. Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust this feature in the unit. It

might be possible with future updates."

Oh well, maybe next update. (Crosses fingers)

I see the problem with POIs not working with half of the color scheme has NOT been fixed.

This is something I would really like to be fixed, it's nice having all those different color settings and not being able to use them if you use custom POI's and want them to show up.

Have people contacted Garmin about the the POI search bug? It seems they should have fixed it after the 6 months we waited for this 'routine' update. I'm getting a little upset with the company for this bad of a bug in a new unit.

Repeatedly. All I ever get is a "thanks for your input we'll forward that to our engineering team." In other words, the brush-off.

Garmin TechSupp emailed me back and said that the 3.10 firmware for the 60C(S)X and 76C(S)X models still imposes a 2025 map segment count limit.

I use my 60CX for topo only. Hiking, benchmark hunting, geocaching. It is very nice in the field.

If they don't increase this limit by this coming summer (northern hemisphere), or if they don't fix the small segments in topo, I'm going to sell my 60CX. It's ridiculous to have 2gig microSD cards out there that can't be filled to more than about 375megs with topo maps.

Has anyone had a problem installing the latest version of the garmin webinstaller? Version 2.4.1? I'm trying to install it on a dell inspiron laptop and it keeps trying to install it in my C:\weird#\program file directory which is a write protected directory on my laptop used for critical windows software installs which is protected so it won't allow it.

It won't allow me to change the install directory so I can't get through the update.

Does anybody know what "Improve robustness of data card tracklog XML" refers to? What's been changed?

Take a look at my post in the "lost map segments" thread (too lazy to repeat it here :yikes: )

This may or may not be what they are talking about.

Am about to update to 3.10; just checking this thread one last time before diving in <_<

Has anyone had a problem installing the latest version of the garmin webinstaller? Version 2.4.1? I'm trying to install it on a dell inspiron laptop and it keeps trying to install it in my C:\weird#\program file directory which is a write protected directory on my laptop used for critical windows software installs which is protected so it won't allow it.

It won't allow me to change the install directory so I can't get through the update.

I'm guessing you mean WebUpdater. I just installed it on my laptop, with no problems at all.

I didn't have a problem with the update of the updater (I have a Dell XPS, but not your "weird" stuff; however, after updating the updater it balked at updating the GPS! All in all you are probably better off just downloading the file directly and doing the update yourself.

My update looks good - no immediate problems. I can confirm that:

Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:

* Corrected issue where some highway shields were blank.

Is now working (text is now black on white instead of white on white, at least on the only two shields in the US that I know of that were a problem :yikes:

I still get dropouts connected to nRoute; was hoping that they might have done something about that, but now a real big issue for me <_<

Will check out a few of the other things when I can get out in the field with it.

Garmin TechSupp emailed me back and said that the 3.10 firmware for the 60C(S)X and 76C(S)X models still imposes a 2025 map segment count limit.

I use my 60CX for topo only. Hiking, benchmark hunting, geocaching. It is very nice in the field.

If they don't increase this limit by this coming summer (northern hemisphere), or if they don't fix the small segments in topo, I'm going to sell my 60CX. It's ridiculous to have 2gig microSD cards out there that can't be filled to more than about 375megs with topo maps.

I agree. It's not a problem I have personally as I don't use TOPO, but they really opened themselves up to these complaints by going to such a spacious format.

I also asked them for direct answeres as to whether or not the consider the POIs issue a problem that needs fixing and if so wheter or not they're working on it. Will post the answers here.

....................It's ridiculous to have 2gig microSD cards out there ......................

Hasn't that been obvious all along? ....but watch what happens when a 4 gb or 7.3267 gb card gets "invented".

....................It's ridiculous to have 2gig microSD cards out there ......................

Hasn't that been obvious all along? ....but watch what happens when a 4 gb or 7.3267 gb card gets "invented".

They won't work in the 60CSx or its siblings. MicroSD is electrically identical to SD, and SD is pretty much limited to 2GB. Any higher and they go to SDHC, which is electrically different and unless a device has the properh hardware to use it, it's unusable.

THat's not to say they shouldn't figure it out for future devices which can use SDHC.

They won't work in the 60CSx or its siblings. MicroSD is electrically identical to SD, and SD is pretty much limited to 2GB. Any higher and they go to SDHC, which is electrically different and unless a device has the properh hardware to use it, it's unusable.

THat's not to say they shouldn't figure it out for future devices which can use SDHC.

SURELY you understand that the 4-7+++ comment was totally in jest.......

Did the people that now "ABSOLUTELY MUST have the largest available card" previously have to carry several suitcases and boxes of paper maps with them every time they left the house? I doubt it.

I am seeing a problem with using Custom symbol #23.

Can anyone verify for me? If I create a waypoint using the last symbol and then go to the select symbol or delete by symbol the symbol shown isn't correct. In the delete by symbol it shows as a completely blank line, and when you try to delete it doesn't delete those symbols.

In the find by symbol it shows as a blue cross instead of the correct symbol.

I have a 4GB Kingmax SD card in my Pocket PC and its not SDHC.

Where did you read that SD was limited to 2GB?

I have a 4GB Kingmax SD card in my Pocket PC and its not SDHC.

Where did you read that SD was limited to 2GB?

There are technical limitations and then there are limitations imposed on consumers by what manufacturers decide to produce, hence the "pretty much." SanDisk, for example, does not produce a 4GB SD, only a 4GB SDHC.