Does the first geocache still exist?

Goudacat

I live in Oregon and was excited to hear that the first ever geocache was in Oregon. I know that it was hidden before geocaching.com, but I thought that it might still be there or at least there may be a commemorative cache at the original location. I tried searching Beaver Creek on the seek a cache page, but the only hits I got for Oregon were hidden fairly recently and don't mention anything about the first geocache.

Does the cache still exist?

If so, is it listed on geocaching.com and if it is, what is its name??

Goudacat

While the first geocache no longer exists, there is a commemorative plaque at the location, and the can of beans from the cache still exists. The latter is in the posession of Team 360, and I don't know who adopted the plaque from him.

Edit: The Portland Community Geocachersd did. HERE

Edited by surferacf1

While the first geocache no longer exists, there is a commemorative plaque at the location, and the can of beans from the cache still exists. The latter is in the posession of Team 360, and I don't know who adopted the plaque from him.

Edit: The Portland Community Geocachersd did. HERE

Thanks.

Next time we are in the valley we will definatly check this one out.

This is the oldest one I could find.

When GC.com was first started there were many caches out already. GC8 was one of those as was Mingo. The numbers were not assigned by date placed, but by state. So Mountain Marsh (GC8) was assigned a lower number than Mingo even though Mingo was older.

Edit to add Oldest 100 caches

Ah, that makes sense. Glad I wasn't making a bet! :blink:

This is the oldest one I could find.

When GC.com was first started there were many caches out already. GC8 was one of those as was Mingo. The numbers were not assigned by date placed, but by state. So Mountain Marsh (GC8) was assigned a lower number than Mingo even though Mingo was older.

Edit to add Oldest 100 caches

Ah, that makes sense. Glad I wasn't making a bet! :blink:

Yup, I believe they "started" the numbers in the Pacific NW, and worked their way eastward. Not trusting the waypoint names only applies to the (I'm guessing) 100 or so caches that predate geocaching.com. After that, they were consecutive 4 character hexidecimal numbers up to GCFFFF (65,565 I believe), which was reached in mid-2003. Now of course, we're on our 3rd numbering system.

Oh, and if you do find the listing for the very first cache, it's been "defaced". But I'm not going there. :rolleyes: