My GPS isn't finding satellites

I've had a Garmin ETrex since September 2006. It's worked very well for me, always turning on and loading and finding satellites (unless of course I'm inside). I use it almost every week for geocaching and have never had problems with it. I last used it this past Saturday (the 13th). On Tuesday, I was going to go geocaching, but after sitting outside for twenty minutes without it loading, I gave up and headed home. I had been in the open, with nothing obstructing the sky. It was cloudy, but clouds aren't supposed to affect the signals. I shrugged it off, figuring it was just something with the day.

But I tried it again today, and it still won't work! It turns on fine, opens the main loading screen, the one where it's searching for satellites. Everything looks normal, but it just won't find any satellites. It acts like I'm inside or there's something blocking, after a while asking me if I am inside or have moved thousands of miles since last use (both answers no). I left it on for twenty minutes, tried in different places, changed the batteries, but nothing helps. I called Garmin's support line, but couldn't get ahold of any real people. I sent them an email, but they said it will take up to one week to get a response back. I couldn't find anything on the website.

Now, my warranty is still valid if there is a problem with the GPS. I've taken very good care of it and it still looks almost as good as when I bought it. So if it's broken, I guess that's taken care of. Hopefully their email will come and someone will be able to help me.

I'm just wondering if anyone's had this problem before, and if so, was there anything they could do? I cleared all my routes and waypoints on it, so it's not full or anything. That'll be a pain to reset later, but I was hoping it would help. Nope. I can't imagine going for maybe a month or more without going geocaching though..... anybody know anything?

I think I might have an idea of what your problem is... Here goes: Your gps probably is using the satellite almanac for a different location. You should be able to press the menu key in the satellite page and see an option that says 'new location'. Select that and then you should be alright. If not, try updating the firmware. Lastly, if that doesn't work, just call Garmin and tell them your problem. They might charge you a bit since you don't have your recipt, but they should be able to fix your problem (providing the above doesn't work).

I had a similar problem a while back. After looking at the map page I discovered that the unit thought it was in Malaysia. I used the pan feature on the map to move the map back to my approximate location then set this as my new location. Within seconds it locked on to sats & has worked fine ever since.

I think I might have an idea of what your problem is... Here goes: Your gps probably is using the satellite almanac for a different location. You should be able to press the menu key in the satellite page and see an option that says 'new location'. Select that and then you should be alright. If not, try updating the firmware. Lastly, if that doesn't work, just call Garmin and tell them your problem. They might charge you a bit since you don't have your recipt, but they should be able to fix your problem (providing the above doesn't work).
This is a good suggestion! This worked for me one time when I had the same problem! :ph34r:

If the above suggestions don't work then I'd suggest calling Garmin again. I've had the best success in getting through by calling their toll-free number right when they open for business (8 am, Central time). When one of my Garmins had a problem it was right near the end of the 1-yr warranty period and they never even asked to see a receipt (nor did I send one). They fixed it promptly and got it right back to me.

i assume you have a cable for transferring your waypoints from PC to GPS?

No, I have to do it all manually...

cables are real cheap to buy on ebay. They are there right now Buy it Now for around $15...that includes shipping...if you were patient you would more than likely find one cheaper...it is worth the money...you will be surprised at the convenience...you will never want to enter them manually again.

A cable is worth it. I have a separate database in GSAK just for my GPS waypoints that I acquire from time to time. All I have to do is connect the GPS to my computer, fire up GSAK, and I can put any that I want on the GPS very quickly. Not to mention getting waypoints for geocaches from pocket queries, without worrying about putting in a wrong number somewhere along the line.

A cable is worth it. I have a separate database in GSAK just for my GPS waypoints that I acquire from time to time. All I have to do is connect the GPS to my computer, fire up GSAK, and I can put any that I want on the GPS very quickly. Not to mention getting waypoints for geocaches from pocket queries, without worrying about putting in a wrong number somewhere along the line.

Where do you buy cables? Do they have them in stores that sell GPSs?

Thanks for all your help. I ended up finding an old thread on how to reset the GPS, so I did that and now it works again. Lost everything, but that's alright. I don't mind reentering waypoints, I'm just glad it works again. Thanks again :blink:

I've had to do that every few months or so. But you may not have to do a complete reset that erases your waypoint (I've only had to do that once). Most units have a "GPS reset" function that only resets the satellite almanac but doesn't clear your memory completely.