total gridlock!

Foinavon

The Runcorn Bridge is closed, the Barton Bridge is closed, The Thelwall viaduct is closed. I am not going to get home tonight! May as well go caching (thats if they haven't all blown away).

Well don't go to Haigh Hall or Pennington Flash as they have both been closed due to dangerous trees!

It was a nighmare for me to get home too and Im only 3 miles from work! Roads flooded and fallen tree's

Just be careful out there!

The Runcorn Bridge is closed, the Barton Bridge is closed, The Thelwall viaduct is closed. I am not going to get home tonight! May as well go caching (thats if they haven't all blown away).

Well don't go to Haigh Hall or Pennington Flash as they have both been closed due to dangerous trees!

It was a nighmare for me to get home too and Im only 3 miles from work! Roads flooded and fallen tree's

Just be careful out there!

Do you think this is good time to attempt "Going Nuts in 2007" lolly!? <_<

Edited by Foinavon

Well this morning took the normal 1hr commute down south on the M6 from Cumbria to the Fylde coast, along the way I passed a lorry that had blown over north bound between Preston and Lancaster closing two lanes, they managed to clear it by later morning.

But come lunchtime there had been another two accidents on the same stretch with lorrys which now closed the M6 north between Preston / Lancaster till late this evening, adding to this was the fact I didn't have my Street Atlas of Lancashire or my GPS.

So I had 4 choices to get home:-

1) Route everyone else does when the M6 is closed (A6) - Est 4hrs

2) Drive cross country to Skipton then up to Cumbria - Est 3hrs (2.25hrs is A6 Preston is clear which it wouldn't be)

3) A/B roads upto Lancaster south but avoiding A6 Nth - Est 2hrs, involves A6 but in oposite direction to traffic

4) Country lanes north - Est 1.5hrs but you need to know you lanes or have gps

1/2 was totally out, done 3 a few times when the M6 has been closed previously in the last 12mths but wanted to try 4. So I left an hour early to try and get more of the navigating done before it gets dark.

Along part of the route I do every day a tree blocked the road so a minor change, then the M55, off at next junction north passing an overturned lorry, then east towards A6, missed my turning for route 4 so on with route 3. Hit traffic 0.25mile from the A6 that took me 30mins to get through, then the knowledge came into action at the A6, instead of going north I went south and took next left through Garstang north, to avoid the A6 you can drive through a housing estate and at the end a pot holed lane takes you to a coutry lane which you can take nth east of the M6. Now it was dark and at some point I needed to go nth west to get the next junction back onto the M6, get the wrong turn and you end up going through the Trough of Bowland and out the otherside in Yorkshire. Lucky the lorry in front knew where I was going, back on the M6 and home 30mins later.

If only I had my GPS as there were 6 caches along this route that I not got yet.

I was flying to Manchester from Paris yesterday afternoon with the opportunity to do a cache or two near the airport in Manchester. All those plans disappeared when the plane was delayed 2 hours due to the catering not arriving- us passengers were willing to fly without catering but the Air France pilot wouldn't fly without a meal on the 70 minute flight! Because of the delay we got 10 minutes from Manchester and were told that the airport had just been closed so back we went to Paris and a night in an airport hotel.

Back this morning to find 3 very big trees had blown over in our garden so not the best of weeks.

Having lost 2 fence panels in the wind a few weeks ago, my neighbour and I decided not to replace them til the spring.

I got home yesterday to find three more lying on my lawn, crushing bushes.

Poor old Pop Up Pirate was trying to get home from South London to Chorley and it took him almost 7 hours to get as far as Cheshire... at this point, knowing Thelwall Viaduct was closed, he decided to reroute and pop in to mine for a brew enroute.

This was at about 5pm... the journey should have taken him about 30 mins to get to mine, he arrived at 7.30pm...

So - all in all, not a good day for the PUP!

On a plus note.. I live 5.7miles from my office, and it normally takes about 10 mins to get to work. I got home in 8 minutes!

Yay!

Edited by HazelS