New coin idea!

Cornerstone4

As I have been reading these forums lately, I must admit...I am astounded at some of the ideas that everyone has jumped on! I keep asking myself, "What does that have to do with geocaching?"

Well, if you can't beat 'em... :(

So last night, I am trying to get caught up on work, since I have been spending way too much time with the big events coming up next month. My son comes in, and reminds me that I had promised to take him somewhere that evening...so I put everything away, and off we went.

As we sat there goofing around at our destination...I kept thinking about coins and the coin event...as I held the ball in my hands, looking at the pins at the end of the lane, I asked myself, "Why not?" <_<

So...after talking with Coins & Pins today, we are putting together artwork for the Bowling Geocoin set! Yep, there willl be 10 pins, with different cachers names on each, and then a bowling ball to go with the set.

What does this have to do with caching? Who cares? We're having fun right?

Artwork to follow shortly.

<_< I can't really tell. Are you being serious or are you making fun (of me)? :(

Nope, not making fun of you at all.

We are really making this set!

I had pulled back from coins last year. Things just got too crazy with coins being made for everything under the sun. I figured things would settle down after a big bubble, but they haven't. To be honest, I was a bit frustrated with the whole thing, but, then I figured, life is too short...so I may as well have fun with it!

:(

wow this is definitely going to the extreme of making coins that have absolutly nothing to do with caching. LOL

If I hide a cache outside our local bowling alley would it help? :blink:

All that matters is the tracking code. That in and of itself makes it Geocaching related. This is a great idea. I can't believe it hasn't been done before.

wow this is definitely going to the extreme of making coins that have absolutly nothing to do with caching. LOL

I bet there has been an event somewhere at a bowling alley. If not, there should be!

Already been done in Quebec, Canada. Nov. 25th, 2006 GCYVV7 Soirée de Geoquilles by Moustik et HBK. :blink:

ANNOUNCING

the

BOT'S DOT GEOCOIN!!!!

180px-Roundbottsdot.jpg

COIN PRICE:

US$25.00 each s/h included. Yes, they cost more than the real dot.

COIN:

Size: 1” coin

Thickness: 1mm

Metal: cheap

Trackable: Yes, www.geocaching.com

Icon: Yes, white dot

Unique Features: it's a white dot

PRE-ORDER email INFORMATION:

If you are interested in reserving, please send an email to youhavetobekiddingme@urasucker.com

Subject: Your bank account #

Geo Nick:

Paypal Address:

Email Address:

Quantity per metal (or specify set):

The HISTORY and it's "relation" to geocaching:

Botts' dots are a form of non reflective raised pavement marker used on roads. In many U.S. states and in several other countries, Botts' dots are used to mark lanes on highways and many arterial roads and to create rumble strips, adding tactile feedback to drivers when they move across designated travel lanes. Botts' dots are named after Dr. Elbert Dysart Botts, a California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) engineer credited with overseeing the research that led to the development of the markers and the epoxy used to attach them to the road.

Botts' dots are typically round markers, most commonly white but also often yellow, and rarely found in black or other colors. They are made of ceramic, polyester, or plastics. In some areas of the United States, Botts' dots may incorporate a reflective lens.

Botts' dots are rarely used on freeways in regions where it snows because snow plows scrape them off.

Some roads have lanes only marked with Botts' dots eliminating the need to repaint lane divider lines.

According to journalist Mark Stein, Caltrans records indicate that its personnel may have been speculating about the concept of raised pavement markers as early as 1936. However, the department did not commence research in earnest until 1953, when the postwar economic boom resulted in an alarming increase in the number of cars and car accidents in California. Painted lines tended to become invisible during rain creating a safety issue during rainy weather.

In September of 1966, the state legislature mandated that Botts dots were to be used for lane markings for all state highways except in areas where it snowed in the winter.

Today, there are more than 25 million Botts' dots in use in California.