explorist 500LE not detected by my pc

hi i just receive my new explorite 500LE , my pc did not detected it ,when i try to send geocache to my gps the floppy disc start to run and it said that my explorist is not found,even in MY PC its not detected and when i plugged it on the usb the gps said usb file transfer ,please help me i got windows xp pro in my pc

thank.

marty.

hi i just receive my new explorite 500LE , my pc did not detected it ,when i try to send geocache to my gps the floppy disc start to run and it said that my explorist is not found,even in MY PC its not detected and when i plugged it on the usb the gps said usb file transfer ,please help me i got windows xp pro in my pc

thank.

marty.

Do you have the USB cable on the back of the GPS on the right way up? I did the same thing, only to find out I had the cable attached upside down. It fits onto the GPS both ways and will even charge the GPS both ways.

thank.

I'm not sure I understand the last part...is your GPS asking you to choose between power only or data transfer mode? (If you choose data transfer, it should hook up to the PC ok)

I'm actually having the same problem. We have the cable hooked up correctly but the computer will not find the GPS. I've spent the better part of 6 hours working with the stupid thing on 2 different computers! If I have the unit connected to the computer and then power down and back up, the GPS unit knows that it is connected to a computer. But if I try to transfer data to the GPS (either with the Geocaching Manager software that was included or with EasyGPS), the A (3 1/2 floppy) just runs and runs. I contacted Magellan via their web page and on the second try I did get a response. I've done everything that they recommended and still no luck...any suggestions would be most helpful. I'm going to have a more tech savvy friend look at it, but if he can't figure it out I will have to resort to phoning Magellan support...

UPDATE: The husband called Magellan tech support (believes he was talking to somone in India) and they beleive that we have a faulty USB cord. They require us to fax them proof of purchase and our case id and they will be sending a new one. I'll post again and let everyone know if that fixed the issue.

Edited by TheCacheHounds

thank.

marty.

If you go into "My Computer" in Win XP, you should see the GPS there as a drive (ie. d: or E:, f: etc) With Mapsend, I have to manually move the maps to the GPS. Mapsend won't detect the USB connection either. I'll try the Geocache Software in the A.M. and report my findings.

I had a very similar problem when I first hooked up my ExPlorist 500 to the computer and the topo software and tried for days to make it work.

In the end the ID number on the unit was not entered exactly correct into the software, so it never recognized it...there was a "0" in the beginning and shouldn't have been there (or vice versa...don't remember exactly)

Once I fixed that everything worked great...hope that helps

Like Astro4x4 says, I have the XL which I believe is the same as far as computer hookup. The computer will see the unit as another removable hardrive. You pick the files you want and drag and drop to the gps unit. Also the post about the serial number is correct. There are (at least on my xl) an extra 0 at the start and end of the serial number that should not be used in the map registration. Hope u figure it out.

Joe

New cable arrived and still can not get computer to recognize GPS. We had a friend take it over the weekend to see what he could do and nothing. Back to calling Support tonight...

Had the same problem with mine, with the 500 you don't upload to the GPS when you select save to...save to the PC, then navigate to the folder on the 500 where you want to save things.

If you try to save to the GPS it will just sit and sit and sit and sit and do nothing, the 500 is seen as a drive, so you save to a PC hard drive, in this case the 500

I also had the same problem with the Geocache manger or Explorer not reconizing my explorist 500. I am running windows XP and Zone Alarm virus protection. What I discovered was that Zone alarm was causing the problem. At first I had to turn Zone alarm off and set it so it would not automaticlly restart on power up. Then I would restart my computer so Zone alarm was not running. Then everything worked fine, The Geocache Manager and Explorist could reconize my Explorist and I could download Geocaches to my unit. After several Emails to Zone Alarm and changing some settings I finally got the zone alarm setup so it would not interfere and reconize the Explorist. I think it was a spyware setting in Zone alarm that I had to turn off. Zone alarm said they would note the problem and fix it in there next revision. Anyway you may want to try and disable your virus protection software and reboot your computer to see if that takes care of it.

I have the same problem... I have had my since Christmas. Worked great - was able to use Conversion Manager etc. No problem.

All of a sudden I can't see the GPS from Windows XP - no changes to my computer were made. Other devices see the USB port OK. Occasionally whe I plug it in I get a message that says "A USB device attached to your computer has malfunctioned". It does not show up as a drive; does not appear in Device Manager. I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers. Started and stopped the virus software.

So, this morning I trotted off to my Box Store and bought another one to test. Plugged the new unit into my computer. It is recognized immediately. Unplugged it, and plugged in mine - no luck.

Something else is odd - the Power indicator always says extrenal power - if it is plugged in or not. I think the interface on the GPS is toast.

So, I guess I have to call tech support Monday morning. :anitongue: Something to look forward to.

New cable arrived and still can not get computer to recognize GPS. We had a friend take it over the weekend to see what he could do and nothing. Back to calling Support tonight...

I have a 500LE also and i was experiencing the same issue with XP not seeing it,Well after pulling what little hair I have left out I tried plugging the USB cable directly into my PC rather then using my USB hub and wouldn't ya know it...It worked.Must have had somthing to do with the power that was being supplied to the unit via the hub.

Edited by bellapacifica

Our unit was defective! We sent it off to tech support on Feb 9th. They received it on Feb 13th (I love UPS tracking!). We got it back last night (Feb 21). We plugged the unit in as we had been and "Bing bong" a new USB device has been recognized! (we never got that prior to sending it to them to be fixed!) Thanks for everyone's advice...but sometimes electronics really are defective!

For what it's worth -- I just got mine out of the box and had the exact same problem. I discovered when I turned the connection cable around on the device, it worked. In other words, you can connect the USB cable either direction to the device, but my computer only recognizes it when the cable runs out towards the bottom of the device, as opposed to the top.

This worked for me...

I also had the same problem with the Geocache manger or Explorer not reconizing my explorist 500. I am running windows XP and Zone Alarm virus protection. What I discovered was that Zone alarm was causing the problem. At first I had to turn Zone alarm off and set it so it would not automaticlly restart on power up. Then I would restart my computer so Zone alarm was not running. Then everything worked fine, The Geocache Manager and Explorist could reconize my Explorist and I could download Geocaches to my unit. After several Emails to Zone Alarm and changing some settings I finally got the zone alarm setup so it would not interfere and reconize the Explorist. I think it was a spyware setting in Zone alarm that I had to turn off. Zone alarm said they would note the problem and fix it in there next revision. Anyway you may want to try and disable your virus protection software and reboot your computer to see if that takes care of it.