I wonder what the next "I gotta have it" feature will be?

Alphawolf

Well, if it's not too expensive how about an expanded comments field for waypoints so you can upload some cache information?

Seems like with all this extra memory it wouldn't be to much of an issue.

I know it's not a groundbreaking idea, but come'on already.

Edited by BlueDeuce

It wouldn't be so much a feature but perhaps a GPSr that is really thin like the new Razor cellphones. It would obviously have to take a rechargable cellphone battery but I can see a market for that.

They already have put out a combo PDA/GPS unit by Garmin but sales were bad so Garmin discontinued all but one of the units.

Of course, handheld GPS units are not a priority anymore with all of the makers, it's car based systems making all the profits and 90 percent of the sales these days.

I'd settle for cachemate-like functionality.

However, I know these are technically "receivers" but I almost always have GPS reception with the 60CSx, but I don't always have cell phone reception in many areas I end up in. I wonder if it would be possible to implement "Help I've fallen and I can't get up" functionality that would alert emergency personnel to my location. My cell phone will do this, but of course I have worse coverage with it than my GPS.

I figure it's only a matter of time before I need airlifted out of the woods anyways.

Edited by ThePropers
...what the next breakthrough trick will be?
Look at the Apple iPhone or the Garmin nuvi. Take your pick of functionality.

The next "gotta have it" device will be multi-purpose, with software expandability (want a function? someone will write it) and wireless connectivity, in robust, weatherproof, pocket-sized package.

Garmin's nuvi is the "coolest" now, strictly as a "travel assistant". Apple's iPhone presents an interesting user interface and form factor, wider expandability through software expected eventually - but isn't shipping yet.

Even the the prototype iPhone doesn't appear to have a GPS, I expect this feature will be available by the time the device ships - either integated from Apple, extrapolated from the cellular network, or from a 3rd party accessory vendor.

Edited by lee_rimar

All "we" really need as Geocachers is a Geocaching utility on the GPS. This would be simple enough for Garmin to do as a software add-on to the GPS with a special loader.

Basically it would take regular GPX files and import them to the SD card. The utility would then work like Cachemate or such to view all of the cache information. A pretty easy job for a programmer. Unfortunately, I doubt Garmin will put in the effort based on our little sport. Auto nav units are where the buck are to be had.

If the OPSYS was only open source, the world would be our oyster.

Come on! Think BIG people.

Hydrogen Fuel cell. So I can cache for weeks and never need a power source.

Plus an emergency beacon that uplinks your position to the sats and sends it to the rescue crews so they can find your sorry butt after you went missing in the wilderness for weeks 'testing' the new fuel cell out. :ph34r:

I am surprised that some people consider novel ways to mark a cache as found or to keep their batteries charged comes under the heading of "Gotta have it."

I'm now in exactly the opposite of "Gotta Have It" thinking that gets triggered by small novelties -- I'm more in the mode of "Do I really need that?"and usually find myself answering "no."

Why? Because I'm waiting for something REALLY revolutionary comes along. Will probably be the second* generation of Apple's iPhone or whatever other competing product looks best. Maybe by the end of 2007, earlky 2008...

* Never buy the first rev of ANYTHING

I'm waiting for something REALLY revolutionary comes along. Will probably be the second* generation of Apple's iPhone or whatever other competing product looks best. Maybe by the end of 2007, earlky 2008...
Be more specific. What will this "REALLY revolutionary" device do? You didn't propose anything.....

Exactly what I was wondering!!!

I'm waiting for something REALLY revolutionary comes along. Will probably be the second* generation of Apple's iPhone or whatever other competing product looks best. Maybe by the end of 2007, earlky 2008...
Be more specific. What will this "REALLY revolutionary" device do? You didn't propose anything.....

Hm? I thought he did: an iPhone that, in addition to all the other things the new one is supposed to have, would also include GPS capabilities.

Hm? I thought he did: an iPhone that, in addition to all the other things the new one is supposed to have, would also include GPS capabilities.

Why do we "gotta have" an iphone? What does this expensive device do that is worth having when it will break the first time you drop it while out hiking? We already have phones that allow you to view/log caches in the field. These are safely kept in your pocket while you use your ruggedized GPS for the real task.

If I was choosing between identical GPSs but one had a rechargable battery option, I would choose that GPS everytime. I guess I view that buying decision for that feature as a "gotta have" because it is worth the extra money. :blink:

Edited by TrailGators

How about the ability to transmit your location for others to see.

You could see other geocachers on your map to meet up or race to the FTF.

You could avoid others you do not want to see.

You could have a new cache that is moving all of the time!

You could put in a database and identify others you would like to meet or avoid -- like a built in dating option!

You could see coins and TBs in transit, and maybe go for the grab in between caches if the other person is willing.

And statisitcs --- you could see your effeciencies in geocaching and compare just more than #s of finds....

Everything could be instantaneous! (selectable of course for when you wanted to go stealth!)

I thought he did: an iPhone that, in addition to all the other things the new one is supposed to have, would also include GPS capabilities.
Embra:

Thanks for noticing. In addition to the Apple iPhone, I also mentioned and the Garmin nuvi in post #10, and discussed at some length the direction I would like to see the products go. Convergence of features, into a shirt-pocket sized package.

-L

Edited by lee_rimar
Why do we "gotta have" an iphone?
I didn't say "we." I said that "I" said would put a feature set like the Garmin nuvi or Apple iPhone high on my list.

What's on your list (and others), that's entirely up to you. It's just surprising to me that some people are talking about rechargeable batteries like they're revolutionary.

What does this expensive device do that is worth having when it will break the first time you drop it while out hiking
I'm not dismissing your point about ruggedness - but everybody has different needs, eh?

I'm not a hard-core outdoors type. I'm an urban commuter, cyclist and pedestrian.

For me, carrying a cellphone, PDA, GPS, and web-browsing computer (as one gadget) in my shirt pocket - I'd call that revolutionary. It might even cost less than all of those separate gadgets add up to.

Now, back to that ruggedness thing. I haven't seen any specs on Apple's iPhone re water or impact resistance. Not surprising, as there are only a handful of prototypes built so far and the thing isn't finalized yet. But if Apple doesn't make the thing durn-near bulletproof, I think they're gonna have a serious problem on their hands.

Edited by lee_rimar
It's just surprising to me that some people are talking about rechargeable batteries like they're revolutionary.
Nobody said that having rechargable batteries was "revolutionary." It was mentioned that the Garmin 60C/CS/CSX have a cigarette lighter power adaptor and that it would be nice if that adaptor also charged the batteries. It's a useful product enhancement that many would want to have. Edited by TrailGators
What does this expensive device do that is worth having when it will break the first time you drop it while out hiking
I'm not dismissing your point about ruggedness - but everybody has different needs, eh? I'm not a hard-core outdoors type. I'm an urban commuter, cyclist and pedestrian.
There are very few geocachers that haven't dropped their GPS at one point or another. I'm not saying that the iPhone won't be nice to have. I'm just saying that it's probably a better companion device to a real GPS. They already make mounts for GPSs for your bike. Maybe what would be nice is to have Bluetooth communication from the GPS receiver to the more powerful and expensive device that is tucked safely away in your pocket. Someday you could even have a heads-up display with GPS receiver mounted in one of the lens of your sunglasses. A transparent map could show up when you tap a button on the side of the sunglasses. :)

A way to instantly log the cache online when you hit the "found" button! Cache hiders would have the option to only allow logs after the website did a handshake with the logger's GPS and verified that they were actually at the correct coords.

Now instead of "Park and Grabs" we can have "Drive By" caches. It's bad enough when cachers were just signing the outside of the container, now there would be no need to get out of the car, get within 50 feet and it will let you log right then. Click, TFTC, Drive on. :blink::)

The main feature I would like to see with GPS is ruggedized PDA like devices, built primarily for GPS, yet having an OS so you can install other software, be it for caching, organizing, web browsers, or retrieving color aerial mapping, like a PDA. In other words, I want a $6,000 Trimble surveying unit to come in a smaller device and much cheaper. :blink:

A way to instantly log the cache online when you hit the "found" button! Cache hiders would have the option to only allow logs after the website did a handshake with the logger's GPS and verified that they were actually at the correct coords.

Now instead of "Park and Grabs" we can have "Drive By" caches. It's bad enough when cachers were just signing the outside of the container, now there would be no need to get out of the car, get within 50 feet and it will let you log right then. Click, TFTC, Drive on. :blink::)
You're right. That idea would only work well for virtuals or on Waymarking.com. Edited by TrailGators
It was mentioned that the Garmin 60C/CS/CSX have a cigarette lighter power adapter and that it would be nice if that adapter also charged the batteries.
That would be nice indeed.

It's a useful product enhancement that many would want to have.
But is that "the next breakthrough trick" on the same order as "... mapping... auto-routing.... combined radio units with P2P positioning...color... expandable memory..."? (excerpted from the original post).

That's what the OP was fishing for, and a lot of suggestions in this thread so far seem mundane in comparison. In some cases, not even new. There are already models from some manufacturers that come with multiple power options and can charge the batteries in the unit. Magellan eXplorist 500le comes to mind as having a wide range of power and charging options.

For context (lest anyone thinks I'm complaining about some posts but not offering ideas of my own), posts 10 and 18 cover what would appeal to me more than nifty rechargers.

Edited by lee_rimar

I think the convergence of GPS and cellular technologies may be the next big thing. Yesterday I went on my first hunt where the GPS never got turned on. It was a pretty easy cache 300 feet deep into a park I was familiar with. In the parking lot, I turned on the Geocache Navigator application in my Motorola i870, and called up the cache page to learn the cache size and confirm there were no recent problems reported in the logs. Then I switched to a color topo map screen to figure out which side of the ravine that the cache was on. Then I switched to a traditional compass view and walked to the cache. Once I found it, I marked it as found in the software, and when I got home to my PC, my log was waiting for me to edit and post to the cache page.

I'd call that a pretty revolutionary cache hunt. No GPS, no PDA, no pocket query, no mapping software, nothing. Just a cellphone that I carry with me anyways.

I think the convergence of GPS and cellular technologies may be the next big thing. Yesterday I went on my first hunt where the GPS never got turned on. It was a pretty easy cache 300 feet deep into a park I was familiar with. In the parking lot, I turned on the Geocache Navigator application in my Motorola i870, and called up the cache page to learn the cache size and confirm there were no recent problems reported in the logs. Then I switched to a color topo map screen to figure out which side of the ravine that the cache was on. Then I switched to a traditional compass view and walked to the cache. Once I found it, I marked it as found in the software, and when I got home to my PC, my log was waiting for me to edit and post to the cache page.

I'd call that a pretty revolutionary cache hunt. No GPS, no PDA, no pocket query, no mapping software, nothing. Just a cellphone that I carry with me anyways.

I wish Cingular would come up with something that too. Verizon doesn't work at my house. Where is that "Can you hear me now" guy when you really need him? :)

I wish Cingular would come up with something that too. Verizon doesn't work at my house. Where is that "Can you hear me now" guy when you really need him? :)

I'm using Sprint/Nextel, the only provider that's currently compatible with Geocache Navigator except for something called SouthernLINC that I've never heard of. This was my main reason to choose that cellular provider. The others need to catch up, or risk losing the huge and lucrative cellular geocaching market. :blink:

I'm using Sprint/Nextel, the only provider that's currently compatible with Geocache Navigator except for something called SouthernLINC that I've never heard of. This was my main reason to choose that cellular provider. The others need to catch up, or risk losing the huge and lucrative cellular geocaching market. :blink:

:blink:
I realized that and that's why I threw out the heads-up display idea..... :)
I did like that one, particularly your idea of having something that could be mounted in a pair of sunglasses. As long as it could be discreet, not like some prosthesis from a science fiction show.
Part of being a geocacher is the willingness to look like a geek. We spin in circles calibrating our GPS compasses. We wear hiking boots in urban enviroments. We wear flashlights on our heads and look for M&M tubes hanging in trees at night. I could go on and on..... :blink:

if any of you have mapsend topo 3d you know how you can use the 3d mode to mave your map section around i think that will be the new feature it would be very helpful for the mountain climbers and i also think they will make most gpsrs also send thier position so if your in need of help you can turn on your gps for a position for the cops to know where you are

if any of you have mapsend topo 3d you know how you can use the 3d mode to mave your map section around i think that will be the new feature it would be very helpful for the mountain climbers and i also think they will make most gpsrs also send thier position so if your in need of help you can turn on your gps for a position for the cops to know where you are
Really good point! Japan already has 3D maps for urban areas. It is very cool!

You can even see the geocaches! :)

9eff4eb5-77ec-439c-9758-51676380bbaa.jpg

I dont know about you guys but im a simple fellow. I dont need a GPS that that talks to the moon or can down load the latest gossip of the net. I want good TOPO map down to atlist 1:24,000 or better. Not just for the parks but the entire US. Thats what a GPS is all about. It would be nice to down load the Caches and look at them on the GPS. Come on what else do we realy need for the sport of GeoCaching???? Even when i dont find it i enjoy the hunt Oh the the most important thing i want is a good ruged GPS. Even if i never droped or scratched the 315 i have from the 1999. Im just a simple GeoCacher.

Space_man