Untouchable

slippery_1

This is the story of a cacher who as going for the cache called untouchable, GCP6JN, which currently in the process of being disabled etc.

Several cachers in Manitoba are ,aking the effort to find this challanging remote cache before it is removed.

I felt the story was worthy of posting here and the link to the discussion as well.

Untouchable

here is the post, by,Master Instigator

RE: Untouchable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The whole family went out to the cabin this weekend, and even though it was cold I thought I would make the trudge out to check my Untouchable cache since it looks like a convoy of cachers still want to claim it. My Mother and Wife thought I was crazy to go out in this weather, but once I have my mind set not much will change it.

I took my snowshoes, some water, survival gear and my .22 and hopped on the quad and headed out. I got as far as I could with the 2x4 beast and threw on my snowshoes and started walking. I figured the easiest although not the quickest way would be to take the lakes to keep it level. I crossed the first un-named lake and started into the creek and was really enjoying my walk and marveling over how much easier it is with snowshoes when I noticed tracks up ahead.

When I came up to the first set of tracks I wasn’t surprised to see that they were wolf, but I could see that there were more and more of them developing further up the creek. I continued on and curiosity got the best of me, and ended up following them in 50 yards from the creek when I came across the carcass of a young doe. By the looks of it they had probably downed it the night before. This made me a little weary, because I knew that they probably aren’t too far away; and possibly even watching me. I decided that this was as far as I was willing to go and I started to head back home.

I got onto the creek and started following my tracks back. I must have walked about 200 yards down the frozen stream when an eerie feeling came over me and I looked over my shoulder. Nothing, hum...I turned my head back and for a second I thought I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. When I went for the double take already there were seven wolves on the ice running my way off the same trail I just used not 5 minutes ago. I felt a lump rise and choke my throat, and a shiver went down my spine like none I have ever felt before. I knew right way that they were not just curious but were heading toward me for a kill by the way the pack started to fan out. I have run into wolves in the warm months but with the first sight of a man they vanish in a flash, but this was different, frighteningly different.

I immediately started to struggle to remove my backpack that housed my .22 off of my heavy parka. In my struggle I ended up tripping over my God dam snowshoes that I was praising earlier. While lying on the snow-covered ice I ended up managing to remove my backpack and unclip my low caliber rifle. I let the first shot off into the air, but with the wide open sky and not much surrounding bush to create an echo the sound was more like a pop from bubble wrap. I shouldered the rifle and let my second one go right at the heels of the on coming pack and they stopped dead in their tracks. 25 yards separated them from me. A couple more seconds fumbling with my pack would have made a life altering difference.

They only glared at me waiting for my move, as if we were in strategic game of chess. My move was simple I let off another shot right in-between the legs of the largest one, and the explosion of snow behind him sent the pack flailing in all directions. A fourth shot was made at the frightened dogs just to make sure that any courage they had was dead. After the sight of the last wolfs tail flicker into the bush a tidal wave of emotions came crashing over me and I started to shake, and I couldn’t stop. Even now as I sit here typing down my surreal experience I have to constantly fix errors that my trembling fingers are creating. I felt I was lame as I attempted to get back on my feet again. I remember thinking, “Why the heck are my legs not working?” with “heck” being the replacement word.

When I managed to get up and shoulder my pack the first few steps were wavered and slow, but I soon started to gain momentum and headed back. With the much quickened pace and the constant looks over my shoulder I made it back to my quad in about half the time it took me to get as far as I did. I had made the decision before not to go until spring and I should have stuck with that decision, but as of now I will not return to remove my container until summer and I will not be traveling alone this time. To those that are planning to go in February please make the same smart decision I made, probably the smartest decision I have ever made, and pack a rifle. Just like me, you never know. If it will be ruse.

My move was simple I let off another shot right in-between the legs of the largest one, and the explosion of snow behind him sent the pack flailing in all directions.

I'm having a little trouble with that...

:ph34r:

Okay then, if you live in a large city what would be so different then comparing this to a gang of hoodlums intent on raping and pilaging your wallet from you.

Now instead of a rifle you use and large baseball bat and you get the same effect. To doubt is to not have had the experience. In remote regions we are the invader not the other way around.

My move was simple I let off another shot right in-between the legs of the largest one, and the explosion of snow behind him sent the pack flailing in all directions.

I'm having a little trouble with that...

<_<

Okay then, if you live in a large city what would be so different then comparing this to a gang of hoodlums intent on raping and pilaging your wallet from you.

Now instead of a rifle you use and large baseball bat and you get the same effect. To doubt is to not have had the experience. In remote regions we are the invader not the other way around.

I think it was the term "explosion of snow" that is in question, not the actual occurrence. I have fired a .22 rifle into snow and "explosion" is probably a little overdone. The story was awesome.

I don't know why anyone would rape my wallet, but that's ok....as long as they leave me out of it. <_<

I was laughing about the explosion of snow bit (since I've never seen that happen in real life). On the plus side, there's never been a wolf attack fatality in North America (at least according to this report) so the odds were in his favor.

The report's eighteen researchers reviewed the most reliable records they could find, written in 13 languages and dating from the 16th century to the present

There were few fatal predatory attacks and none in North America.

However, I did find a story from 2005 about someone possibly being killed, but it couldn't be confirmed whether he was killed or died from something else and was scavenged.

I think the point is to not be afraid of being killed by wolves.

Edited by ThePropers

When you're out wandering around in the forest, sometimes the animals forget that we're Top of the Food Chain. Telling yourself "I don't need to be afraid of these wolves" would be stupid or even suicidal in my opinion, no matter what any "Official Scientific Study" reports.

I believe I said you shouldn't have to worry too much about being killed by wolves, not that if you see a pack of wolves, you should not be wary. Same as if you run into a bear or mountain lion or poisonous snake or rabid racoon or porcupine or squirrel or fox or snapping turtle.

I would think no confirmed fatalities in 500 years (in North America) would be an good reason to not be overly concerned about being killed by wolves. That's just my opinion though, and your mileage may vary. I suggest if you are concerned about it, you better go arm yourself.

there's never been a wolf attack fatality in North America (at least according to this report)

On a related note, a biologist once told me there has never been a confirmed black bear attack on a human in Florida. I don't know if this is true, but I accepted her word on the matter and stomped through bear territory with confidence, for years. My confidence was bruised one day while I was doing some preseason scouting for an upcoming bow hunt. Because this was in a state park, I was unarmed. As I was walking down a game trail, I heard a loud crashing noise coming lumbering toward me through the thick brush. There were no climbable trees in the area, and I'm too old/fat to run from a critter, so I stood still on the trail to see what developed. The biggest black bear I have ever seen came out of the bushes like a furry tank, and eyeballed me, not quite sure what he was looking at. As I stood there stock still, he came and sniffed my knees. Once he decided I was human, he spun a 180 and ran away as fast as his legs would carry him. Once my heart started beating again, I returned to the check in station and told the park ranger about my experience, describing the day glow orange tracking collar the bear was wearing. He told me that bear weighs just over 400 pounds. In comparison, most Florida black bears never see 200 pounds. The ranger then repeated the mantra regarding the lack of black bear attacks in the state.

quite frankly, i would not go into woods like that unless i was carring a bigger caliber gun, like my 30-30 and a back up hand gun no less than a .357 magnum revolver, there would have been a explosion of snow for sure :unsure:

You can carry the rifle if you want, but better have your gun permit, hunting permit, be in the hunting season of something that is hunted with this gun and be somewhere where hunting is authorized.

If you get caught in Canada with a .357 magnum revolver, you're likely to be in big trouble. And if you say that it's to protect yourself from wolves, the cops are going to laugh at you, and then the judge is going to laugh at you.

Yes, I know we are weird in Canada : here you need a reason to be carrying a gun around. A good, legal reason. Strangely, gunshot wounds are not as common in Canada as in the US... think there is a link? :blink:

I'm not saying its wrong to own guns, I love deer meat :o , I'm just saying you don't need to carry a gun if you're just going for a walk in the woods. (Though...If you're going for a walk in the arctic, in polar bear territory, then, yes, do bring your rifle, wolves don't think of humans as food, but polar bears do!)