Monthly Gatherings

nikcap

I've notice that several areas have monthly events, usually at the same place and announced on the same cache page. CT has a Wings and Bear night, I think PA has a Pizza night.

Would anyone be interested in this? Something that meets every third Tuesday or the 20th of every month?

My gut feeling is that people wouldn't show up once they get their smilie and after 3 or 4 months no one but the organizer would show up. Speaking of the organizer, I am willing to spearhead this on in the Central Jersey area, but I know I wouldn't be able to make it every month. (Not that I haven't hosted events that I couldn't make :lol: )

So what do you all think?

If you've had experience with a recurring event I'd love to hear about it and if it's successful or lame idea.

Here's one thats been going on for quite awhile

Third Wedsday- year two

GCTGG6

Just got back from Third Wednesday. Record turnout of 45+/-. Usually we have 25 -30. Perhaps 15 are getting a smiley as there were some newcomers, but the majority were there just for the conversation, food, and Yuengling. (Yuengling is "Reading Dutch" for Beer)

My gut feeling is that people wouldn't show up once they get their smilie and after 3 or 4 months no one but the organizer would show up.

If you've had experience with a recurring event I'd love to hear about it and if it's successful or lame idea.

The Capital Region cachers have a breakfast on the 2nd Sunday of every month. The venue changes, and to some extent the cachers vary, but it's a constantly growing get-together (presently 25 to 35). There is no smiley, and I don't personally think that it should be necessary in order to get friends together. I sometimes wish that I lived closer to the general area so that I could make it more often, though.

We have been having monthly breakfast here in the DFW area for the past few years. There are at least 30 or more that show up. It all starts at 8:00am and by 10:30 - 11:00, everybody leaves in groups and goes caching for the remainder of the day. We have a sign up sheet so people can volunteer to host the next one. The last time I saw the list we had host set for 6 or 7 months in advance.

Here are links to the last few that I went to.

October

November

I like that breakfast idea. Meet for some socializing and then a day of caching.

Yea, I agree I would go along with that :(

This way even if you don't get a smiley for the event, there are group cache hunts that follow the meal.

Perhaps a twist would be that the small groups could compete against each other in a mini cache ralley to see what group finds most in a given time duration. I think Brainsnat suggested something like a cache ralley in another thread if I remember correctly. <_<

We've hosted three breakfast events with each one getting more attendees. We outgrew Shoney's the first time we were ther, didn't learn our lesson and had a second event there. I won't say that they were less than cordial to me, but I did hear a few things from some of the people who attended afterwards. Our last event at the local Ryan's was GREAT. Private room with plenty of space!! Number four is on the 27th. If any of you would like to attend and then go for some Psycho Urban Caches afterwards let me know!!

Edited by lpyankeefan

Alrighty, lots of good ideas floating around there.

I was more leaning towards something like Wings & Beer (and Pizza, too!) by The Local Cachers

A roving event would need to have intervention of a cache reviewer to change the posted coordinates or for every new event a new cache page would need to be generated and be approved.

So this is what I propose.

There is a Fuddruckers at the intersection of Rt 1 and Rt18 in New Brunswick, NJ (about 1 mile from exit 9 on da Turnpike). They have a fairly large area where we can be quarantined and hoot and holler all we want.

Not it just a matter of picking the day/date. I'm thinking the a Tuesday night is best. Later in the week is probably too crowded and Wednesday night will conflict with Lost, and we can't have that. :rolleyes:

Maybe something like the second Tuesday of the month? Right now that would be Feb 12th?

As for a breakfast, that would be awesome, but I can't think of any place in the Central Jersey area that I would want to go to. Now, the Pic-a-lilly in South Jersey has a banging brunch on the weekend. :blink::blink:

I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on this.

Edited by ekitt10

As for a breakfast, that would be awesome, but I can't think of any place in the Central Jersey area that I would want to go to. Now, the Pic-a-lilly in South Jersey has a banging brunch on the weekend. :rolleyes::blink:

Events are cool but nice to have a themed event now and then. Just having one every month to have an event could get old.

We seem to end up with something in South Jersey every two - three months. SJG gas been doing some un-branded events posted on their own site due to overwhelming the Pic the last time an event there was posted on Geocaching.com. The number of cachers is rapidly growing and at times gets beyond the ability of some of the small places to handle an event.

I would love to see an event up at the White Manna but only a dozen or so people would fit in there!

Rather than a rigid schedule I would vote for whoever wants to host an event and do the footwork to feel free to post the event.

Alrighty, lots of good ideas floating around there.

I was more leaning towards something like Wings & Beer (and Pizza, too!) by The Local Cachers

That's a GREAT event, as was it's predecessor!

Personally, I think part of the success is in the fixed venue, and to a lesser degree a fixed day of the week/time of the month. If you stay in one place instead of roving, you develop a relationship with the staff. That really helps. Also, it becomes familiar. As the organizer you pretty much know what to expect each month. Cuts down the planning and stress. Also, people start to feel at home. Sorta like "Cheers" (the tv show or the forum thread). Everyone else feels comfortable and relaxed. The staff knows ya by name, and knows how to accommodate the group. It starts to feel like your own special place.

One hint. A private venue might be more accommodating then a national chain. With chains, there is a pretty high churn-rate of staff. Even management seems to change up every few months. Private places seem to hang onto staff, which helps to build that relationship. They also are probably more willing to work with you a little. Ask them what their slowest day of the week is, and then offer to bring them 20-30, maybe even 50 customers once a month on that night. They'll love ya!

If you have any questions about how we run it, feel free to shoot me an email.

I've notice that several areas have monthly events, usually at the same place and announced on the same cache page. CT has a Wings and Bear night, I think PA has a Pizza night.

Cool, I've been wanting to try bear :ph34r:

Actually, I think Fuddrucker's might have that (or venison burgers or something)

Edited by trowel32

Cool, I've been wanting to try bear :ph34r:

Actually, I think Fuddrucker's might have that (or venison burgers or something)

Ostrich burgers. On the Border used to have buffalo fajitas, mmmmmm. Not anymore though.

Fudruckers sounds great. There is also Uno Chicago Grill on Route 1 South in Edison - they have a room in the back, a great menu (including pizza) and they brew their own beer. While they are a national chain, the staff is VERY aware and attentive of regulars.

...but they don't have bear, ostrich or buffalo...

Edited by TwoCat

Give it a shot and see .... I bet it will take off nicely.

The very first Third Wednesdays was attended by a very small group of people (cache owner was not even there! - long story), but it has become "habit" for a nice crowd each month, as EdScott said above. It's Berks County's version of a local geocaching organization: no web site, no listserv -- just good, old-fashioned live interaction. It works nicely!

Or so I'm told. :ph34r:

Give it a shot and see .... I bet it will take off nicely.

The very first Third Wednesdays was attended by a very small group of people (cache owner was not even there! - long story), but it has become "habit" for a nice crowd each month, as EdScott said above. It's Berks County's version of a local geocaching organization: no web site, no listserv -- just good, old-fashioned live interaction. It works nicely!

Or so I'm told. <_<

yes it does.. and we really had 46 there this month as you will always be here in spirit...

There are several cachers here in north central West Virginia that have been doing a Beer and Wings night for a few months now. We decided to not make it an event cache and it roams between the four largest cities in our area (Morgantown, Fairmont, Bridgeport, Clarksburg). A cacher from which ever city it's in picks the location for that month and we announce it through our local groups forum. It's nice to have a smiley but it's just as nice to have Beer, Wings, and Friends all in the same place. The thought is if you make it an event people show up for the event if you don't they show up for the company, Just something to think about.

For those keeping score at home:

I've posted an event for approval.

GC10NYC

Third Tuesday Beer and Burgers.

7:30pm at Fuddruckers in New Brunswick, NJ (Rt 1 & Rt 18)

The first meeting of this monthly event will be held Tuesday, February 20th, 2007.

The location is:

Fuddruckers

28 US Highway 1

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

(732) 828-4655

As it turns out there is a Mustang club that gets together every once in a while on Tuesday nights there. So there maybe a good oportunity to relocate the monthly meeting to another location every few months.