Coin deal gone bad after a year and three months.

Team Sand Dollar

I set up a trade back in Oct 2005. Yes 2005. This is not a missprint. I knew I would have to wait for these coins but I really expected to recieve them.

Today I get an email telling me they no longer collect coins and will not be sending thier coins to me since thiers are so rare. They did tell me that they will send mine back or will pay for them.

I sent no response. What could I say.

Team Sand Dollar

I set up a trade back in Oct 2005. Yes 2005. This is not a missprint. I knew I would have to wait for these coins but I really expected to recieve them.

Today I get an email telling me they no longer collect coins and will not be sending thier coins to me since thiers are so rare. They did tell me that they will send mine back or will pay for them.

Team Sand Dollar

You should say you accept their offer to pay for your coins...your coins have increased in value like so many others this past year, and they now sell for $50.00, shipping not icluded. Get their PayPal addy and send them an invoice.

(As long as it's not me!) :lol:

I do want to point out that as a whole trading is never a problem. I have conducted over 650 trades and this is the only one that has gone bad. I probally would not have even brought it up if it was not for the reason they gave. All I could think up of was WOW and there last statements said it all.

"My original coins are scarce and I no longer trade them away.

I no longer trade and plase do not ask for me to reconsider and future trades."

I figure I should just write this one off.

Team Sand Dollar

I've only had one difficult coin purchase or trade experience since I've been associating with this group and I eventually got the coins I ordered, unlike many others.

spell that W-Y-O-M-I-N-G

I'm sorry to see anyone in your situation, but I'm very glad it is definitely the exception. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

Team Sand Dollar

A deal is a deal and they should honor it - in fact if it was struck up via email it would constitute a contract... But then a lot of people tend to just consider email a throw away... not worth the 'paper it is printed on'. So it is not for them to be asked to reconsider - they agreed to it in the first place, they have to honor it... but I doubt they will. :)

On the up side... does that mean you might have some earlier editions of your coins to sell/trade? :lol:

Keewee

:( Going back on a trade is bad enough, but taking well over a year just to disappoint someone in a trade is just wrong. Man, I hate hearing about stuff like that happening. I do firmly believe that the vast majority of the trading community is honest, and honors their trades though. I would however make sure I got my coin back from him, before he changed his mind, If he didn't want you to have his coin, why should he get yours? <_<:( Edited by 57chevy

Team Sand Dollar

A deal is a deal and they should honor it - in fact if it was struck up via email it would constitute a contract... But then a lot of people tend to just consider email a throw away... not worth the 'paper it is printed on'. So it is not for them to be asked to reconsider - they agreed to it in the first place, they have to honor it... but I doubt they will. <_<

On the up side... does that mean you might have some earlier editions of your coins to sell/trade? :D

Keewee

I agree. A contract is a contract. I'd love to go to my broker and tell him I changed my mind and those securities he bought for me that tanked should come out of his pocket, but I'll keep the profits from those that didn't.

Expose the ratfink for the deceitful nogoodnik that he is. :(:(

wow a year (and some) and then a blow off. some people!

BTW: my trade with you went out this morning. <_<

I knew I would be waiting a long time for these coins and that was not the problem. The trade was established knowing there would be delays in delivering the coins.

What got me was when the person was in a position to honor the trade they then decide not to. No explaination at the time other than they are no longer trading coins.

Team Sand Dollar

Wow ! That stance is brutal ...I hope they reconsider .

As someone before said could you tell us what coin it is ? Or is it a personal coin .

I have completed over 400 trades & only have one that is bad from back in September ,,,

I traded one of my Whitebear LE copper & 2 at the time very rare Gold Compass Roses for an activated Zombie Tribe ( a coin I want VERY bad) emailed back & forth ...then now won't return my emails & I see on the GC site they are still caching.

I think the important thing to share is the other 400 trades all went smooth ,as stated most people on the forums are really wonderful & honerable.

Yes it is a shame but no matter what it is only a coin.

I did recieve a couple of emails and did finally respond with these ending words.

"We had a deal and I upheld my half of it. How you decide to handle your half of the deal will reflect directly on your personal character."

Team Sand Dollar

That is a classy way to handle it! Great job!

Ugh... What can you really do about that. All the emailing in the world sounds like it won't work with whoever this is. But I do think your reply shows a lot of class on your part. I know many people who would send an email laced with profanity and threats which would serve no useful purpose whatsoever. I hope you manage to get this worked out in some way.

Generally I frown on listing names but per emails from this person I want all facts know.

This trade was arranged with CavScout. Since he was in Iraq I knew I would need to wait for the coins and when his deployment got extended the wait was also extended. Being from a Military family I know these thing happen so the wait did not bother me. Again being from a Military family, geocoins from past and present cachers that served in the Military also mean more to me.

So when I got the first email stating he no longer traded and his coins were scare I was a bit upset.

This leads up to the emails I recieved today.

Email #1

Hello,

Your response in the forums was unexpected but not a surprise to see.

When we made a agreement for a trade it was done during a time when the coins I had no meaning to me and was only view as a trade object. Now the remaining original Cav Scout geocoins I have are being used for memorial shadow boxes for the fallen Soldiers (KIA) from my Squadron and given to the Soldiers families.

Your coins will be promptly returned to you. Please forgive me for not focusing my attention to "geocoin trades" after spending 16 months in Iraq and instead choosing to spend time with my family.

If you would like I could remove the Cav Scout coins from the shadow boxes for the DEAD SOLDIER'S families and send them to you.

You should start another thread and ask for opinions on weather or not you should have the coins removed from the memorials to satisfy your need for a geocoin...

Eamil #2

You have done enough damage...

Email #3

Why don't you post in the forums about the coins I have left and the option of

pulling them from the memorials for the dead Soldiers. If you want two cions I

will take two from the dead soldiers shadow boxes. The chioce is up to you but

before I do I want you to post the agreement we made and tell all you chose to

take the coins from the KIA memorials.

The choice is yours.

----------

This leaves me looking the bad guy here. Yes I would love to have the 2 coins he promised me, but I also see what he is doing as a good gesture for those that have been lost.

I may be the only one that had this kind of trade pending. But he gave me no choice in the matter, and only told me the trade was off. I was not asked if I would give up the trade or even informed of his new plans.

I only found out after the fact and being a veteran I cannot remove the coins.

Team Sand Dollar

Ok, let us not forget that during the 16 months he was there he continued to be involved in coins. While it may have taken a little longer to get it to you, it could have been done anytime over the last 16 months as he had sent out others (or had someone do it for him). Sounds like he decided long ago not to do this trade.

What really bugs me is using the military and those who have died to try to spin it. I'm getting really sick of this and I know a lot of active members who hate this type of behavior. Almost all of us have either personally lost someone or know someone who has.

You are not the first person cavscout has done this to TSD, and I don't see you looking bad at all in this. Don't let him make you feel guilty, it's just how he is.

I agree that he should have been more forthcoming...it would have saved a lot of angst.

ETA: I agree with Hula Bum's comments, though. It seems he is using the military to back up his actions...it seems he's just fine with playing the guilt trip to get out of his deal.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Don't feel bad at all. I had already guessed who you were talking about.

My trade fell through long before he was making shadow boxes, but in my case, he did go purchase one of my coins on ebay to return the one I had sent him, so it all ended up fine.

It's your call at this point. Either ask for your coins back, or have him remove the ones from the shadow boxes. Since they were promised to you in a trade, they aren't really his to put in there anymore.

Edited to say this...when I started typing, there weren't any responses to your last update...several phone calls later, I finally hit the submit button...I don't want this to seem like a "dog-pile" post here...that isn't the intent of my post.

Edited by Cornerstone4

TSD, You made a trade and followed through, There is conflict in his statments. This is what stands out.

Now the remaining original Cav Scout geocoins I have are being used for memorial shadow boxes

This says he still has coins and none should have to be removed to satisfy your trade and is tossing out a guilt trip.

Its up to you of course, but at least get your trade coins back, this is sad, Glenn

Honor: You make a deal ,Honor it.

Pride: Be proud that you did.

Glory: In that which is Living.

Let the dead bury the dead.

Your agreement was made before the Memorials.

So in my opinion the guilty party is the one trying to squirm out of the deal.

I also believe that one coin is not worth more than any other.

Now the market may differ but that is because of availability and that is up to the individual and how those coins are distributed.

OK

That's my opinion.

Team Sand Dollar

(Shrug)

Guess I'm not as into coins as some of you... I think its pretty silly they wait a year+ then back out, but they offered you your coin/money back. Could be worse, like no coin and no info.

I'd say if the want out of the deal, get your coin back and let them out, it reflects poorly on them when they change their mind mid stream :blink: .

Have you ever noticed how this sort of thing seems to happen a lot with this one cacher?

And how he always uses being in the Army as the most honorable possible reason to back out of a deal?

Loran, you played by the book on this one. It appears that CS reserved the right to change the conditions of the game for himself. Again.

Ok, let us not forget that during the 16 months he was there he continued to be involved in coins. While it may have taken a little longer to get it to you, it could have been done anytime over the last 16 months as he had sent out others (or had someone do it for him). Sounds like he decided long ago not to do this trade.

What really bugs me is using the military and those who have died to try to spin it. I'm getting really sick of this and I know a lot of active members who hate this type of behavior. Almost all of us have either personally lost someone or know someone who has.

You are not the first person cavscout has done this to TSD, and I don't see you looking bad at all in this. Don't let him make you feel guilty, it's just how he is.

And some retired military, too...

Loran, I say AMEN to all of the above.

You should not be feeling guilty at all.

You made a deal and in my opinion he should stick to his word.

No matter how noble his intentions may be with the remaining coins, CS should remember that his "remaining" coins are the coins he still has, minus 2, namely yours.

I feel very bad about him, trying to work on your (and our) sentiments like this.

If he really wants to honour his dead comrades, believe me, this is not the way.

There is nothing honourable about backing out of a deal.

My 2 c

Edited by Twin Peaks

I'm glad you were able to share the name of this person. While I applaud his military service it has nothing to do with the trade he agreed to. You showed great patience in waiting for this trade to be completed. I respect what he has chosen to do with his remaining coins but it is wrong to withhold his side of the trade. He should honor his word and send the coins as he agreed to. I would not lose any sleep over where they are from or his plans for them. He is wrong to accuse you of creating this problem. I think most people on the forums can see this for what it really is and you were right to post the details.

OK, I think this thread has run its course. We have heard enough. I am closing this thread, as it is going downhill. Any trade delaings should be held in private.

From the geocoin guidelines:

Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale or trading of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller.

Individual negotiations or information exchanges should take place through private e-mail or telephone correspondence, not on this board. Please use the communication tools provided on the site or private email.

The only exceptions to the Groundspeak Forum Guidelines are listed above, standard forum etiquette will apply to all discussions in the geocoin forum. Groundspeak reserves the right to determine if any posts are inappropriate for this board. No cross posting, spam or other abuses will be tolerated. Cross posting in the regional forum for specific regional coins will be permitted.