Explorist 500 - Slow ? ?

Astro4x4

Hello all,

Finally got a GPS - Explorist 500 for Christmas. While I have figured alot of it out, the unit seems real slow to route (compared to buddies Explorist 400) 10 to 15 minutes is not uncommon for even a local route of a few KM's. Also, about 3/4 of the time it routes out past my destination and then back tracks to it almost doubling the distance? I have the latest firmware release and have tried formatting my SD card, but no luck. If anyone can shed any light...... Thank you in advance.

Dave

That's a bizarrely long time to calculate a route. It should only take a minute or so tops (I just timed 15 seconds to calculate a 20 mile route). I haven't heard of one like this before.

I would be inclined to try re-loading the firmware. You might first try clearing all memory to see if that knocks any cobwebs out. If you do re-install the firmware, clear memory immediately *after* the installation (as well as before).

You might also try (before those other suggestions) to load a small detail map file into internal memory and see if you get the same results (to rule out something about the card).

Well have some good and bad.

Walmart exchanged the unit for me !! And the new unit came with a Mapsend DVD, Lithium battery and alkaline battery adapter !! Unit already had latest firmware loaded too. Ya !!

The bad news is that the new unit has the same problems with auto routing (slow) if it doesn't tell me it can't street route and wants to switch to point to point, it takes on average 10 minutes to calculate a bad route. Tried smaller files, different SD cards, loading to the unit itself, reloading firmware etc. etc. Looks like I'll be on the phone with tech support, unless someone tells me that this is as good as is gets for an Explorist 500.

Edited by Astro4x4

Well have some good and bad.

Walmart exchanged the unit for me !! And the new unit came with a Mapsend DVD, Lithium battery and alkaline battery adapter !! Unit already had latest firmware loaded too. Ya !!

The bad news is that the new unit has the same problems with auto routing (slow) if it doesn't tell me it can't street route and wants to switch to point to point. Tried smaller files, different SD cards, loading to the unit itself, reloading firmware etc. etc. Looks like I'll be on the phone with tech support, unless someone tells me that this is as good as is gets for an Explorist 500.

I myself just purchased an eXplorist 500 the other day from RadioShack...I am not sure if I got the short end of the stick but mine didnt come with a Li-Ion battery...i have been burning through AAA batteries, three at a time, once or twice a day...Any ways I thought I would let you know that my GPSr doesnt take that long to route a map...I am using the road routes too and you would think that would take a bit longer...on a route that is about 20 miles or so, it only take mine about 45 seconds to complete. Not sure if your getting the soar eggs of the bunch. I'll time it exaclt next time I have an opportunity and try to get a post back to you on a 20 mile route.

Good Luck.

Edited by Scilence

I could not replicate your problem on my 600, but I have a possible suggestion. Are you using and SD-card? This is a common problem I have seen with many digicams. Just like and type of memory, flash memory speeds very a lot. Buying a higher speed card could help.

Try here: Newegg SD cards

Look for something 100x or faster, and read the reviews, some cards don't last as long as the name brands. Can't go wrong with Sandisk or Corsair, but I own a couple Patriot memory products and they are a great value and have never failed me. Plus Newegg has great customer service, I have returned several (non-memory) products with no hassle at all.

Don't know if this will help you solve your problem. But it's something to think about.. I have seen improvments from upgrading to faster card in everything from my explorist 600 to my cell phone.

OK, try this.

43*01'28N

081*09'W

Sorry for the delay.

I routed to those coordinates from the Ottawa area and it took about 45 seconds to calculate on my eX600.

Have you tried recreating the region and uploading a fresh copy to your GPSr?

Scott

Hmmmm. Yep, I've tried about everything I or fellow GPSr users can think of. Soon as I get a day free when tech support is open I'll call them and see what they can tell me.

Thanx for trying.