Delorme GPS PN-20

centme37

I have about 20 hrs. of expierence with the new GPSr but what may be of interest to you all is the fact that I have owned and used a Magellan Explorist 500 and I currently own a Garmin 60Cx.

My first impression was that the unit was less well built than the Garmin such as the buttons. After using for while, I've changed my mind. The Delorme buttons are crisp and feel solid. My 60Cx buttons are okay but occasionally the direction rocker doesn't want to scroll right and the on/off button is not easy to use. Well, so much for the mundane.

The Delorme is equally as sensitve and accurate as the Garmin. Inside my computer room on the second floor of a wood frame house I regularly get nine sats and WAAS w/Delorme.

As far as maps go, now there is where the real difference is noticed. I have available 10 meter color sat maps, USGS topo quads, 1 meter aerial map as well as Delormes Topo USA 6.0 w/updated street info etc. When I zoom into a 1 mile scale I see my location on the 10 meter color sat map, at .25 mile I see streets, at 160 feet I see the 1 Meter aerial map. I can change the order of map preference around, include or not certain map types, etc. One of the biggest beefs I had with both Magellan and Garmin was their lousy topos. Now I have 7.5 minute USGS scanned maps.

The one area where the Garmin will continue to be my GPSr of choice will be the street navigation. However, when I go into the field, off route so to speak I will be carrying the delorme.

Edit: Check specs and features at

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtp...;minisite=10020

Edited by centme37

Wow. Nice review. 1:24K topo maps and 1M aerial photos may actually be considered cheating while geocaching!!

Do you mind my asking what you paid for the unit and maps? Was it a package deal?

The unit was $369 included USA Topo 6.0 which includes door to door routing, and $100 worth of Aerial and sat maps - about 400 sq kilometers.

Nice impression. I had the same feeling towards the buttons. At first i didn't like them, but after getting used to them (and using them with gloves on!) I really like the buttons on the PN-20 better than those on the Garmin devices I've been using. Here is what I wrote for a DeLorme PN-20 review in case anyone wants to have a look.

In your excellent review of the PN-20 you list the screen size as 2.2 inches. I assume that is the diagonal measurement of the screen. For a better comparison to my Garmin 76C, can you give me the screen dimensions in Height x Width.

Thanks,

Ron

In your excellent review of the PN-20 you list the screen size as 2.2 inches. I assume that is the diagonal measurement of the screen. For a better comparison to my Garmin 76C, can you give me the screen dimensions in Height x Width.

Sure, the screen is 1&3/8 width by 1&11/16 tall. But perhaps a better comparison is by pixels. The PN 20 is 176x220 (38,720) pixels and I believe yours is 160x240 (38,400) pixels.

Great review. The only comment I have about it is that I can get a fix inside my house and that was in the basement <_<

Yes, I was surprised (but excited) to hear that in your review. I'm sitting with it here now right up against a window which has a great sky view and can only get one satellite.

I have about 20 hrs. of expierence with the new GPSr but what may be of interest to you all is the fact that I have owned and used a Magellan Explorist 500 and I currently own a Garmin 60Cx.

<snip>

The one area where the Garmin will continue to be my GPSr of choice will be the street navigation. However, when I go into the field, off route so to speak I will be carrying the delorme.

I think it's great that you have experience with the eX500 and 60Cx, as those are two of more popular model lines among the forum users. I'm more willing to trust your opinion since you have used both brands.

My question is, how does the autorouting compare between the DeLorme, Magellan, and Garmin? I know the Garmin beats the Magellan, but why is that the 60Cx is your choice for in the car?

<snip>

I think it's great that you have experience with the eX500 and 60Cx, as those are two of more popular model lines among the forum users. I'm more willing to trust your opinion since you have used both brands.

My question is, how does the autorouting compare between the DeLorme, Magellan, and Garmin? I know the Garmin beats the Magellan, but why is that the 60Cx is your choice for in the car?

The interface for autorouting is not as easy to use on the Delorme. If one were to use the PN-20 for trips of any length, I would suggest creating the trips on Topo USA 6.0 that comes with the GPSr and transfer it to the GPSr. Once on the unit, the screens, etc. are similar. I've set the off-route calculation to 100'. And unlike the 60Cx, the directions remain as created on the Topo software including vias, etc.

The Garmin is much easier to use for trips. However, the Delorme can do some things the Garmin can't such as creating routable self-made routes from tracks, etc. Handy for Mt Biking, etc.

<snip>

Can we get some screen shots here? Maybe a topo screen shot, satallite screen shot etc. Also have you heard how much the additional satallite images are going to be? Just wandering.

This looks like a very nice product. But there is one thing that will keep me from buying it. The screen is too small. I am middle aged and need glasses to see things up close. It would just be too much trouble mess with glasses every time I need to see the GPSr. I currently have a Magellan Meridian and I think that screen size is great. I've looked a an Explorist and those screens are too small. The Garmin 60CX is OK but is smaller than my current Meridian. The Explorist XL has a great screen but there are way too many other problems with the product for me to invest my cash.

Would some company please make a functional product with a larger screen for those of us that need it?

With everything else this DeLorme has going for it, I would love to have one if they came out with a model I could see.

I really hope someone in the bay area get one soon so I cn see and play with it a bit and decide if I want to buy one for myself.I want one because of the new toy factor but I have most of the options it has with me on most cache hunts since I usually carry my 60csx and Treo which has aerial imaging or topo info.So far it looks pretty good

My PN-20 came yesterday and I've been playing around with it a little. A couple of quick impressions:

- I concur with centme37 that sensitivity seems quite good. I have it next to my Explorist 500 on my desk, and the PN-20 is reporting 15 ft EPE with locks on 7 sats, while the 500 is flitting between 33 to 50 ft EPE tracking 5 sats. Both have a WAAS lock.

- I was impressed with the inclusion of little things that fleshed out the purchase. I got the Travel Powerkit upgrade that included a Li-ion battery and charger, because I've liked that feature on my 500. I'm not entirely sure was a part of the base GPS package and the Powerkit, but I've got a USB power/data cable, 12v and A/C adapters for the USB cable, an A/C charger for the Li-ion, and a 12v adapter for the charger. There was an accessory bag that even included a few screen protectors and a microfiber cloth to aid in a lint-free installation. Incidentally, the PN-20 seems to get it right with the power arrangements, as it can recharge the Li-ion in the GPS or out, while using AA batteries without any converting clips...the best of both worlds. I should add that at this point the charged Li-ion is not working for me, so I've got something to sort out on that front.

- The Delorme TopoUSA software has had a non-standard interface that I've never grokked, but I'm going to have to do that now. The argument of advocates is that it is more powerful than the standard Windows interface. The learning curve entails inevitable frustration; I've always done the minimal amount to get what I wanted from the program but I'm going to have to dive into it now.

- Along with those lines, my frustrations are associated with not fully understanding the detail map scene, to which there seems to be an art form in gaining efficient yet comprehensive coverage. The PN-20 sorta has the basemap/detail map arrangement we're all used to, but it adds in an intermediate level of multi-state regional maps that seem to be needed for routing. Detail maps are called custom map packages, and include the TopoUSA data plus any downloaded aerial imagery and other goodies. From what I can see so far, these custom map packages are expected to be relatively small in geographic coverage (which makes sense to me if they include stuff like aerial/satellite imagery, USGS topo quads, etc...that's a lot of data). But from what I can see so far, I can't just define and compile a detail map file covering, say, all of Pennsylvania in a single operation process as I could in MapSend programs. Rather, I would have to do it section by section...perhaps something like a dozen custom packages would be required to cover the whole state. Once downloaded to SD card, the PN-20 automatically integrates these as they are needed, but it looks like it will take a while to assemble the library. I'm only working with the TopoUSA data so far--I'll save the extra imagery until I understand the scheme more fully. Any corrective comments are welcome.

Enough typing, I have some exploring to do...

I received DeLorme SA07 for Christmas, and while I don't have the PN-20 nor the topo maps, I think the overall program is similar. The PC interface is rather quirky, to be kind, but it eventually works, I guess, but I'm not at all thrilled with it. It hasn't improved much since the version I had years ago. The aerial photos/satellite imagery is of very poor quality, and really useless on a PC, although it might be (barely) adequate on a tiny-screen device. It isn't worth the trouble at all on my Palm. It might be worth the download time if it were free, but for what they charge it's a complete waste. I still have most of my free downloads remaining, because it just isn't worth my time and disk space to bother with.

Let us know how the process goes with you. I'll eventually need something more than Mapopolis, which is going away. The program works better than anything else I've tried, but the maps are getting somewhat dated and will never be updated.

The unit was $369 included USA Topo 6.0 which includes door to door routing, and $100 worth of Aerial and sat maps - about 400 sq kilometers.
That's about double what I paid for the very similar Venture Cx. Although I believe the PN-20 has a more sensitive chipset, hard to compare so I'm not sure. IIRC, the Venture and PN-20 had identical displays but the PN-20 was significantly larger, not a plus.

In any case DeLorme's bundling and abandoning of old customers leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I own 3D TopoQuads for Colorado, they won't work in the PN-20, they're v1. Also, the hateful GUI of 3DTQ had me swear-off any DeLorme electronic product years ago, however I do like their paper maps.

FWIW

Hermit

Edited by MtnHermit
That's about double what I paid for the very similar Venture Cx. Although I believe the PN-20 has a more sensitive chipset, hard to compare so I'm not sure. IIRC, the Venture and PN-20 had identical displays but the PN-20 was significantly larger, not a plus.

In any case DeLorme's bundling and abandoning of old customers leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I own 3D TopoQuads for Colorado, they won't work in the PN-20, they're v1. Also, the hateful GUI of 3DTQ had me swear-off any DeLorme electronic product years ago, however I do like their paper maps.

FWIW

Hermit

RE: 3DTopo Quads. Not true! Topo USA that comes w/the PN-20 reads the 3DTQ's just fine. I have the original set for my state that were intended for Win 98, etc.

There. You've just added $100 worth of 3DTQ or you could subtract the amount from the cost of the PN-20

You could also think about it this way, PN-20 = $369 minus Topo USA 6.0 $100 (Fully door to door auto-routing w/up-to-date Street data) minus CO 3DTQ $100, minus $100 worth of ADP's. Now that seems to make the $369 lokk alot smaller.

Edited by centme37
RE: 3DTopo Quads. Not true! Topo USA that comes w/the PN-20 reads the 3DTQ's just fine. I have the original set for my state that were intended for Win 98, etc.

Thank you for contacting DeLorme. Version one will not

work on the PN-20 due in fact because it is older software. Our newer

software of Topo quads will work with the PN-20. If you have any further

questions feel free to contact us at DeLorme. Thanks.

Charles Wesley

Regards,

Delorme Sales Team

This was the reply I got from Delorme on 1-11-07, However I'm a great believer in a test being worth 1000 expert opinions.

Hermit

Edited by MtnHermit

Thank you for contacting DeLorme. Version one will not

work on the PN-20 due in fact because it is older software. Our newer

software of Topo quads will work with the PN-20. If you have any further

questions feel free to contact us at DeLorme. Thanks.

Charles Wesley

Regards,

Delorme Sales Team

This was the reply I got from Delorme on 1-11-07, However I'm a great believer in a test being worth 1000 expert opinions.

Hermit

Apparently, from the Delorme forums I've been following, the original 3DTQ (not v. 2.0) can be read by USA Topo 5.0 as well.

Apparently, from the Delorme forums I've been following, the original 3DTQ (not v. 2.0) can be read by USA Topo 5.0 as well.
Just so we're on the same page, I dug out my 3DTQ disc. They're for Win 95/98 and are ©1999.

I'm not sure what USA Topo is, prior to getting the Colorado 3DTQ's I purchased a vector Colorado map product from DeLorme, while much faster and the whole state on one CD, the maps were a POS. I do like the maps from 3DTQ, it just the dreadful GUI.

Any pearls of wisdom would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Hermit

I compiled a detailed map file (what Delorme calls a custom package) for the state of Pennsylvania this afternoon. Not surprisingly, the files run quite a bit larger than what I've been using on my Explorist, as they include more data. The Delorme map (using only TopoUSA6 data with no aerial/satellite add-ons) came out at 333MB, while MapSend Topo3D covered the same area in about 43MB.

For me that means that rather than the 512MB card I've been using in my 500, I'll need a 1 or 2GB card to carry the area I want. I'm glad that memory is as cheap as it is these days. People who are into quantity won't care for this very much, as one would have to carry around a small library of SD cards to have coverage of the entire country. It is possible to slim the files down some by leaving out some of the data layers when compiling, but heck...detail is why I was interested in this model.

The only problem I've encountered so far is that the Li-Ion battery doesn't seem to want to take a charge. tfight reported the same experience at the Delorme forum, so I guess we can comiserate on that one. Fortunately, the AAs seem to work as intended.

Edited by embra
Just so we're on the same page, I dug out my 3DTQ disc. They're for Win 95/98 and are ©1999.

I'm not sure what USA Topo is, prior to getting the Colorado 3DTQ's I purchased a vector Colorado map product from DeLorme, while much faster and the whole state on one CD, the maps were a POS. I do like the maps from 3DTQ, it just the dreadful GUI.

Any pearls of wisdom would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Hermit

My 3DTQ are same vintage as yours only for the State of ME. Topo USA 6.0 is the software that comes with the PN-20. It is DeLorme's latest updated combination of natural features found on usual topo's as well as an updated streets software for the entire USA. This is similar to nav software for the Garmin (CN7) w/o the POI's. DeLormes has POI's but only geographic features. What's nice is the USA Topo is fully routable.

If you wanted all the usual POI's I guess you'd have to buy the Street Atlas 2007. I don't see a need for that but others would.

RE: 3DTQ: I made copies of the data disks 3DTQ using Virtual CD and keep them loaded in virtual drives. One should be able to copy the data to your hard drive if space allows. You don't install the 3DTQ software, you use Topo USA to read the data, manipulate it, load it on the PN-20, etc.

Another useful feature of the Topo USA software is the ability to convert tracks into routable routes and powerful draw capabilities such as filling in unreported roads, etc.

I'm not a Delorme salesman and I do own a Garmin 60Cx which I love but the software that the PN-20 can display goes far beyond what the Garmin can do. Topo USA is also the bridge to the GPSr like Mapsouce, but much more capable and powerful

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
Immensely!!! So much so I'm going to bug you with some specific questions, if I might.

RE: 3DTQ: I made copies of the data disks 3DTQ using Virtual CD and keep them loaded in virtual drives. One should be able to copy the data to your hard drive if space allows. You don't install the 3DTQ software, you use Topo USA to read the data, manipulate it, load it on the PN-20, etc.
If I were to purchase Topo USA West would I be able to run my 3DTQ's in the virtual mode from my HDD? Or better yet, burn them to a DVD and run from there? I've already made backup CD's so that I'll have copies in my field case and not take my originals on the road. BTW, are these Topo USA products vector or bitmap and what contour line interval?

I do own a Garmin 60Cx which I love but the software that the PN-20 can display goes far beyond what the Garmin can do. Topo USA is also the bridge to the GPSr like Mapsouce, but much more capable and powerful
Certainly Garmin is aware of this and there is so much more money to be made from software than hardware, just ask Bill.

DeLorme has a mapping lead, just as Garmin has a hardware lead, both are zeroing in on each others turf. A $125 DVD cost ~$1 to manufacture, whereas that 60Cx of yours cost upwards of $100 to manufacture. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure which has the better margin. So its just a matter of time before Garmin has the Topo maps like Delorme.

Many thanks

Hermit

Hope this helps.
Immensely!!! So much so I'm going to bug you with some specific questions, if I might.

If I were to purchase Topo USA West would I be able to run my 3DTQ's in the virtual mode from my HDD? Or better yet, burn them to a DVD and run from there? I've already made backup CD's so that I'll have copies in my field case and not take my originals on the road. BTW, are these Topo USA products vector or bitmap and what contour line interval?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Maybe some Delorme Topo owners can verify this. I would also suggest you visit Delorme's web site to view details of vector/raster question. They have a good forum for all their products and that is a good place to get info.

I do own a Garmin 60Cx which I love but the software that the PN-20 can display goes far beyond what the Garmin can do. Topo USA is also the bridge to the GPSr like Mapsouce, but much more capable and powerful
Certainly Garmin is aware of this and there is so much more money to be made from software than hardware, just ask Bill.

DeLorme has a mapping lead, just as Garmin has a hardware lead, both are zeroing in on each others turf. A $125 DVD cost ~$1 to manufacture, whereas that 60Cx of yours cost upwards of $100 to manufacture. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure which has the better margin. So its just a matter of time before Garmin has the Topo maps like Delorme.

Many thanks

Hermit

I emailed Garmin several months ago re: updating their topo software. They didn't sound encouraging but who knows what a kittle competition will do.

Edit: TRry this non-Delorme site RE Topo USA 6.0 http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/delorme-demo.shtml

Edited by centme37

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Maybe some Delorme Topo owners can verify this. I would also suggest you visit Delorme's web site to view details of vector/raster question. They have a good forum for all their products and that is a good place to get info.

The key is this DeLorme Support Link, notice many pieces of Delorme software will run the 3DTQ region disks.

Many thanks for all your help. :)

Hermit

A serious bug has emerged: when setting a direct route to a waypoint (as one would with a cache), the compass screen points to the point of origin. It sounds like the temporary workaround is to reverse the route.

Delorme has acknowledged the bug; now we get to see how fast they fix it.

I've been looking at this as the GPS to replace my MeriPlat (yes I'm willing to give up the floating compass for satellite views), and also started looking at Bushnell's 200 and soon to come out 400.

The Bushnell models have layerd not only the maps, aerials and satellite views, but also other functions of the unit such as the compass rosetta and other functions customizable by the user.

Does the Delorme allow the same layering of the interface beyond the maps?

I've been looking at this as the GPS to replace my MeriPlat (yes I'm willing to give up the floating compass for satellite views), and also started looking at Bushnell's 200 and soon to come out 400.

The Bushnell models have layerd not only the maps, aerials and satellite views, but also other functions of the unit such as the compass rosetta and other functions customizable by the user.

Best way to get such info is to go to their website. You can dl the PN-20 manual and get about all the info you'd ever need.

http://www.Delorme.com

I'd also add that I found their flash demo to be among the more informative that I have seen.

Jeez! How could they let something that serious, and that obvious, out the door? Doesn't say much for DeLorme's quality control, does it?

Yeah, at one level it shakes the confidence. So far they seem to be responding in every way I could hope for (although the payoff will be a promptly delivered firmware update). I do find myself pulling for them; they're such nice people on the forum (of course, that's not why I'm giving them $350).

Best way to get such info is to go to their website. You can dl the PN-20 manual and get about all the info you'd ever need.

http://www.Delorme.com

I tried the site long before coming here to ask. They talked around the layering but not specifically come out and say it all. Even the demo lacked by way of brevity. That's why I asked the people that have them.

So, if I were to take this non-answer at face value. I would come back with a No... it doesn't layer the other functions the same way Bushnell does.

Edited by TotemLake

So, if I were to take this non-answer at face value. I would come back with a No... it doesn't layer the other functions the same way Bushnell does.

I had to go look at the Bushnell demo to understand what you were asking about. No, the Delorme is more traditional in the various screens...no layering/integration of GPS functions into a single screen (that's pretty slick!)

One can customize the various layers that go into the map data when created in TopoUSA6. Not what you're asking about, I know, but that's the only layering I know of involving this device.

I had to go look at the Bushnell demo to understand what you were asking about. No, the Delorme is more traditional in the various screens...no layering/integration of GPS functions into a single screen (that's pretty slick!)

I believe that the Bushnell units do not allow layering of maps and aerial photos. It will however superimpose the compass for navigation onto the current image.

Bushnell GPS units layer a satallite image, aerial photo, or topogprahic map and all navigational aids in perfect harmony on a single screen. Even use it to view your trail. No more switching back and forth from map to compass. You can stay on the move and see more of what you came to see.

Link

Too bad they can't spell satellite and topographic! :rolleyes:

Rich Owings

www.GPStracklog.com

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

One can customize the various layers that go into the map data when created in TopoUSA6. Not what you're asking about, I know, but that's the only layering I know of involving this device.

Thanks, Embra. That's what I was looking for.

I believe that the Bushnell units do not allow layering of maps and aerial photos. It will however superimpose the compass for navigation onto the current image.

Yes, but the same term "Layer" was used thus prompting my question. I think I'll hold off my purchase of any new systems until the Onix 400 comes out. The Onix 400 has XM integrated into it with the function that will allow you to layer the graphical weather report over your map.

If you always wait for the latest technology before buying, you'll die empty-handed. :huh:

I have a MeriPlat and that was waiting for the right technology then. :huh: I don't just jump on the bandwagon and buy every GPS with the next fancy whistle. I don't have that kind of cash flow. I carefully analyze what I want then look for the technology to fill that void. To me, it's worth the wait to see what the next Bushnell will have in store.

Well, Delorme posted a firmware fix for several bugs today:

* Compass Heading Arrow points the wrong way for final leg of a direct route.

* Time and Date do not update for final leg of a direct route.

* Minimum and Maximum Elevation values reset to 0 ft for Trip Info.

* 24 Hour time entry does not allow times from 00:00 to 01:00.

On the one hand, as observed above some of these are pretty glaring oopers to make it out the door in the first place. However, with a fix in place 4 days after reporting the bug, I'm feeling reasonably confident that they'll whip this into a pretty good GPS in short order.

I am sure my attitude is influenced by seeing just one official firmware upgrade for my Explorist in the 21 months I've owned it. What was the title of that book--"Been down so long it looks like up to me"?

Well, Delorme posted a firmware fix for several bugs today:

* Compass Heading Arrow points the wrong way for final leg of a direct route.

* Time and Date do not update for final leg of a direct route.

* Minimum and Maximum Elevation values reset to 0 ft for Trip Info.

* 24 Hour time entry does not allow times from 00:00 to 01:00.

On the one hand, as observed above some of these are pretty glaring oopers to make it out the door in the first place. However, with a fix in place 4 days after reporting the bug, I'm feeling reasonably confident that they'll whip this into a pretty good GPS in short order.

I am sure my attitude is influenced by seeing just one official firmware upgrade for my Explorist in the 21 months I've owned it. What was the title of that book--"Been down so long it looks like up to me"?

Ya beat me to it :laughing: Yup yup, fast turn around time for an update. Now that I am at work I will have to update mine tomorrow when I get home.

On the one hand, as observed above some of these are pretty glaring oopers to make it out the door in the first place. However, with a fix in place 4 days after reporting the bug, I'm feeling reasonably confident that they'll whip this into a pretty good GPS in short order.?

HEY MAGELLAN, YOU READING THIS??? 4days for DeLorme to fix a bug and the Meridian line still has bugs after YEARS :laughing: ...

Guess where my next GPS purchase $$$ will be going? Hello Maine...