Pinned Topics

MissJenn

Several people asked about pinning the Milestone Congratulation Thread.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a pinned Cache First Aid & Adoption thread.

If the NE bookmarks thread takes off, that might be nice too. Maybe it can be merged with the PA Finest and NJ Finest thread.

The three threads most frequently suggested for pinning are a milestones thread, a bookmark links thread, and a geo-organization listing thread.

I do not want to attract criticism for being the only US regional forum with a pinned milestone thread. Pinning it implies an endorsement from the site that numbers are important. Not everyone agrees with celebrating milestones.

I do not want to pin a geo-organization thread unless and until Groundspeak completes its project to implement the concept of a "recognized organization." A prior experience with a pinned thread on this subject did not go well.

I have no objection to pinning a thread with links to helpful bookmark lists that are specific to the Northeast region.

Generally with respect to pinned threads, my experience over in the Getting Started forum is that nobody reads them. Good threads will keep getting bumped, and boring threads will drop off the page. Both moderators of this forum generally hold negative views about pinned threads. MissJenn, I suggest that you stage a bloodless coup and get the old moderators deposed. <_<

I do not want to attract criticism for being the only US regional forum with a pinned milestone thread. Pinning it implies an endorsement from the site that numbers are important. Not everyone agrees with celebrating milestones.

Congrats! (oh wait wrong thread! :blink: )

I like the NJ neglected cache threads, but since we are a regional forum, having a pinned thread about NJ doesn't seem to make sense :rolleyes: .

The three threads most frequently suggested for pinning are a milestones thread, a bookmark links thread, and a geo-organization listing thread.

I have no objection to pinning a thread with links to helpful bookmark lists that are specific to the Northeast region ...

Thank you very much for the as-always-very-complete reply, Keystone!

I moderate a sleepy forum (wanna go wake it up?), so the thought process for pinning a thread is different there. It makes sense there to pin certain topics that are great for lurkers or newcomers to see. Newcomers there are likely to see pinned topics: it is us who are here quite often who sometimes become blind to the pinned topics, I think.

Good threads will keep getting bumped, and boring threads will drop off the page.

Sometimes. Sometimes they just get lost to the ages since - although it may be a good topic - it does not get so many eyeballs that it gets responded to often enough. I'd point to certain examples, but, um, I've forgotten what they are since they aren't on the front page! :ph34r:

What do others who post to the Northeast Forum think?

MissJenn, I suggest that you stage a bloodless coup and get the old moderators deposed. :D
Oooh, those are words that my people have some experience with! :P Hopefully, there will be a bounty of shoes when the despots are deposed. Cute women's shoes, that is. Not Leprechaun or Squirrel shoes. Edited by MissJenn

I find them mostly annoying. First, like Keystone said, few people actually read them, then will ask questions that are answered in them, so you end up with a bunch of replys saying "read the sticky, newb"

Second, it's annoying to have to keep scrolling down past them to get to the new posts. One or two isn't bad, but I've been on forums with 6 or more and it's really annoying.

:blink: Should have stated your case a day sooner :laughing:

For what it's worth: your post sorta proved Keystone's point. I had not idea what you were talking about until I went back and looked closer. Never even noticed the pinned thread or that it had been updated recently.

I do not want to pin a geo-organization thread unless and until Groundspeak completes its project to implement the concept of a "recognized organization." A prior experience with a pinned thread on this subject did not go well.

Seems GC doesn't have a problem with this since other regions have pinned threads with organizations in their Regional Forums. :blink:

Since the mentoring thing on GC hasn't taken off in over a year, maybe this would be a good thing to impliment now. It is easy to do, requires no software/hardware upgrade, isn't something we have to wait for them to free up manhours to complete, wouldn't take away from more pressing matters, would enable a new cacher from this area to come here and at least find a local group to help them find a local cacher to teach them how to use their GPS or other basic things, would promte the fact we are a community and not a bunch of individuals, etc, etc, etc.

OR are you saying that GC is in the process of implementing it's concept of recognizing local caching groups? I would venture to say a Yahoo group of almost 400 members would be considered a group. :laughing:

:blink: Should have stated your case a day sooner :laughing:

For what it's worth: your post sorta proved Keystone's point. I had not idea what you were talking about until I went back and looked closer. Never even noticed the pinned thread or that it had been updated recently.

So very true!

Thats the first one for the list...

<snip>

<snip>

Could you please explain how this "did not go well"?

I thought that the geo-organization thread that was pinned to the top of this forum was a very useful resource. The only other thing similar to it was the "local focus" feature in the now defunct "Today's Cacher".

I don't understand why it had to be killed. I don't think that it's a high priority for Groundspeak to establish a list of "recognized" organizations and I don't recall that there was ever any discussion about this. Three of the other regional forums have similar pinned topics and Groundspeak doesn't seem to have any objection to them.

I realize that this requires the attention of a moderator to keep the list current but I don't think that it's that much work to add the name of a new geo-group every once in awhile.

What's the problem here? Am I missing something?

:huh: Should have stated your case a day sooner :huh:

LOL! Thanks Mopar, I hadn't noticed it either since you mentioned it here. :huh::huh:

Seems GC doesn't have a problem with this since other regions have pinned threads with organizations in their Regional Forums. :D

Since the mentoring thing on GC hasn't taken off in over a year, maybe this would be a good thing to impliment now. It is easy to do, requires no software/hardware upgrade, isn't something we have to wait for them to free up manhours to complete, wouldn't take away from more pressing matters, would enable a new cacher from this area to come here and at least find a local group to help them find a local cacher to teach them how to use their GPS or other basic things, would promte the fact we are a community and not a bunch of individuals, etc, etc, etc.

OR are you saying that GC is in the process of implementing it's concept of recognizing local caching groups? I would venture to say a Yahoo group of almost 400 members would be considered a group. :D

<snip>

<snip>

I thought that the geo-organization thread that was pinned to the top of this forum was a very useful resource. The only other thing similar to it was the "local focus" feature in the now defunct "Today's Cacher".

I don't understand why it had to be killed. I don't think that it's a high priority for Groundspeak to establish a list of "recognized" organizations and I don't recall that there was ever any discussion about this. Three of the other regional forums have similar pinned topics and Groundspeak doesn't seem to have any objection to them.

I realize that this requires the attention of a moderator to keep the list current but I don't think that it's that much work to add the name of a new geo-group every once in awhile.

Is a response pending?

In the Northeast forums in another thread, someone was asking about a local caching group. We couldn't point them to the pinned thread at the top since you unpinned it and allowed it to vanish. Instead I along with another cacher attempted to inform them and help them, and got our hands slapped in the process. Now had this been allowed to be left alone at the top we could have just posted where to look, or better yet, that cacher as well as numerous others would know about local caching communities on their own.

This is the ulitmate goal isn't it? To help keep cachers well informed and provide assisstance to new cachers. Until there is a mentoring system or a system in which GC formally recognizes local caching groups. How about we use the resources available, such as the pinned topics, to inform regional cachers where to go for more information about their home areas. This is hurting the new people to the game most of all.

Is a response pending?

In the Northeast forums in another thread, someone was asking about a local caching group. We couldn't point them to the pinned thread at the top since you unpinned it and allowed it to vanish. Instead I along with another cacher attempted to inform them and help them, and got our hands slapped in the process. Now had this been allowed to be left alone at the top we could have just posted where to look, or better yet, that cacher as well as numerous others would know about local caching communities on their own.

This is the ulitmate goal isn't it? To help keep cachers well informed and provide assisstance to new cachers. Until there is a mentoring system or a system in which GC formally recognizes local caching groups. How about we use the resources available, such as the pinned topics, to inform regional cachers where to go for more information about their home areas. This is hurting the new people to the game most of all.

I agree that there should be a pinned thread for local organizations. If there isn't one because of official recognition, than make it an "Unofficial Local Geocaching Organizations" thread and put a disclaimer of some sort in the first post that says that Groundspeak doesn't recognize Local groups, so buyer beware.

Seems GC doesn't have a problem with this since other regions have pinned threads with organizations in their Regional Forums. :blink:

OR are you saying that GC is in the process of implementing it's concept of recognizing local caching groups? I would venture to say a Yahoo group of almost 400 members would be considered a group. :ph34r:

<snip>

<snip>

Is a response pending?

Hey Keystone. It's been almost 3 weeks since you made these comments about a prior expeerience not going well and such. It has been politely asked what this is in refernce to as well as GC allowing it elsewhere but not allowing it here. Are we to take that GC allows these to be pinned elsewhere in other regional forums but not the Northeast, or is this your personal preference and you have made the choice not to allow it? Do we not deserve to at least be answered to a legit question so we may understand?