Tracker for Dog collars?

NetraLee

I am wondering whether purchasing a travel bug and putting it on my dogs' collars would enable me to "locate" them if they should happen to get lost in a big area? I've tried reading up on the bugs, and I am VERY new at all this, so please forgive if this is a laughable question to you.

My thought is this:

purchase the dog-tag style travel bug.

Place on dog's collar.

Go out into the wilderness.

Dog runs off and does not return

Use Garmin GPS to locate travel bug and dog.

Would this be feasible?

Thank you.

NetraLee

Okay... I understand that. I was just hoping there was something I could use with my brand new GPS unit as an extra "security blanket" for when I walk with the dogs. I know there are gps systems specially designed, but thought I could use what I already have. I just got the Garmin 60Cx, and I love it.

If anyone has any suggestions on what/how I could use the unit I already have to track something on a dog in "real time", I'd sure be eager to learn of it.

Thanks for enlightening me. I am very new at this, but sure do enjoy it. I am discovering so many places to go and explore... places very close to home that I never even knew were there!

Thanks again.

NetraLee

It's not a horrible concept. The travel bug tag does have the website address on it. If your dog got lost, the finder would be able to contact you through your dog's travel bug page.

Hopefully, no one would use the 'discovered' option and let him wander.

Okay... I understand that. I was just hoping there was something I could use with my brand new GPS unit as an extra "security blanket" for when I walk with the dogs. I know there are gps systems specially designed, but thought I could use what I already have. I just got the Garmin 60Cx, and I love it.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything. The thing about Garmin's new dog tracker is that the handheld device is both a GPS receiver and a radio receiver (Please, nobody mention that GPS is radion. You know what I mean). The dog's collar transmits the dog's location to the handheld. This is not possible with a 'regular' GPSr.

There are probably some other services available. I know they make child trackers that allow you to go online to see where your child is. There are probably similar products for dogs.

I have heard of trackable chips that can be put implanted into a dog or it's collar...that would be trackable with a receiver...but not a GPS...I don't think. I'd do a google on it and see what comes up!
I thought about going with the chip for my dog, but they are useless without the scanner. I prefer that if my dog is lost that the person can simply read my number off the collar and give me a ring. The TB idea would be almost as good as a regular tag, but still provide the dog owner with a touch of personal security.
Well, when two people are using Garmin RINO's radio feature, each is shown the other's LAT/LON when they transmit, so it can be done, and for less than $700.00!
Sure, but you have to buy two rinos and teach the dog to use one of them.

Come to think of it, Gramin's Astro system is basically two Rinos, with one of them in 'slave' mode.

Edited by sbell111

You can get your dog microchipped. Most veterinarians and animals shelters (and maybe police) have the scanner to scan your dog should s/he get lost and/or hurt on the loose so they can find the owner. My dog is chipped. The chip is only about as big as a grain of rice and is inserted just under the skin between their shoulder blades. You can also get your dog tattoo'ed on his inside hind leg. When my previous dog was tattoo'ed, they used your SSN plus state but maybe they don't do that in this identity-theft age. At any rate, although I don't know if you can actually track your dog with any device, these measures at least help should s/he get lost. I also use a metal ID tag that clamps to the collar and will not come off like a hang-tag can. I LOVE my dog and I've done everything I can to insure his safety. I take him caching with me as much as possible. He met and sniffed noses with his first sheep and saw turkeys and chickens on my last cache hunt. He had a blast and so did I. :lol:

I have heard of trackable chips that can be put implanted into a dog or it's collar...that would be trackable with a receiver...but not a GPS...I don't think. I'd do a google on it and see what comes up!
I thought about going with the chip for my dog, but they are useless without the scanner. I prefer that if my dog is lost that the person can simply read my number off the collar and give me a ring. The TB idea would be almost as good as a regular tag, but still provide the dog owner with a touch of personal security.

I really dont think that GC.com would allow the TB to be listed as it wouldnt meet the requirements of a tb. Also there would be no way of tracking it unless it was on the site!!!

Can you imagine that,

"TB "DOG" TAG",

Tracking number TB2021ROVER,

post date 18 Jan 07:

FOUND IT:

Hi, I found your dog located in the park on the 11th Jan whilst holiday caching in the area, but because I wasnt sure which cache I could fit him into we just took him to a random cache and tied him up, Sorry it has taken me a week to post this log, we did leave him a few biscuits and a cup of water so he would starve........

Post date 19 Jan:

NEEDS MAINTENANCE:

Called in on this cache today to collect ROVER TB, unfortunately it wasnt there, but something did smell of dead, rotten dog, and there was loads of "land mines" around the cache location.

Please clean this cache up immediately!

I know this is an old topic, but I just saw this on the CNN website.

GPS sneakers locate with press of a button

POSTED: 11:38 a.m. EST, February 13, 2007

Story Highlights

• New line of sneakers comes with an embedded GPS chip

• Sneakers work when wearer presses a button on the shoe

• Father came up with idea when his son went missing

• Sneakers will cost $325-$350; available in six designs

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- Isaac Daniel calls the tiny Global Positioning System chip he's embedded into a line of sneakers "peace of mind."

He wishes his 8-year-old son had been wearing them when he got a call from his school in 2002 saying the boy was missing. The worried father hopped a flight to Atlanta from New York where he had been on business to find the incident had been a miscommunication and his son was safe.

Days later, the engineer started working on a prototype of Quantum Satellite Technology, a line of $325 to $350 adult sneakers that hit shelves next month. It promises to locate the wearer anywhere in the world with the press of a button. A children's line will be out this summer.

"We call it a second eye watching over you," Daniel said.

My dog is microchipped. Although the microchip is only good if she is found by a shelter, police station, veterinarian, etc. who have the technology to scan the chip.

I personally am a dog lover but I don't like when I am hiking and someone's unleashed dog comes charging at us - you just never know. The best suggestion, in my opinion, is a leash!!!! It's a pain in the neck but a great concept. Last time my dog was off the leash on a hike, she disappeared. We searched for her for 2+ hours, gave up, went back to the car and I figured she was gone forever. Well, funny but we got back to the truck and she was waiting for us under the rear bumper. I guess she got tired or bored and backtracked. I've never taken her off the leash on a hike again and she doesn't seem to mind.

Many state parks in NJ and NY have leash laws. I wish more people would abide by them. But that's just my opinion . . . :unsure: