2007 TrainSet Steam Engine

ranger216

Hello Bob, like the idea of non trackable tender and trackable passenger car..adding more rolling stock later as a vintage set...

eather way keep us down for #57 to match our 06 set..do you still have the list of people that purchased the other sets??will they have first chance to purchase the matching sets?/Thanks jeff

Edited by Nanni&PapK57

Hello Bob, like the idea of non trackable tender and trackable passenger car..adding more rolling stock later as a vintage set...

eather way keep us down for #57 to match our 06 set..do you still have the list of people that purchased the other sets??will they have first chance to purchase the matching sets?/Thanks jeff

I do still have all the records from the 06 set in anticipation of future releases..

from this point on.. they will only be numbered as requested.. ie if you have a numbered 06 set .. you are eligible to have your 07 numbered the same as your 06..

Hope to have final product art ready later this weekend..

thanks again

I do still have all the records from the 06 set in anticipation of future releases.. from this point on.. they will only be numbered as requested.. ie if you have a numbered 06 set .. you are eligible to have your 07 numbered the same as your 06..

Hope to have final product art ready later this weekend..

We're definitely interested in this continuity aspect of things. I'll have to dig through to see which set we actually kept; with the holidays, I let a lot of that sort of thing go by-the-boards, so I've got some catching-up to do. You should see the pile of unactivated geocoins I've got by my computer! :laughing: I'll e-mail you after you get the final art work up. Looking forward to this :)

Which design do you prefer ?

strain.jpg

If I use the 1st design, it will be a 2 coin set.. 1st coin will be 2 1/2"

and the passenger car 1.75"

The 2nd design would be the engine 1.75" tender 1.5" and pass car 1.75"

Please provide me some feedback...as I want to get this finalized in the next day or 2

Well: I don't mind the length that much but I am concerned about the roof length of the engine. It looks a bit too long in the first set. Is this proportional to a real engine?

I like the size in the second design, as the first set seems to be out of proportions in the over all size of the engine + tender compared to the passenger car.

The engine appears to be a bit too small for the passenger car.

I vote for option 2 with three coins. B)

Edited by OshnDoc

The YittleYime just saw the design and votes for the second set. (Three coins) And he knows trains. I'd like to put in for a set with the number 21. Mix up last time, but Shilo and I swapped, so it's all good. Again, it's 21 (Twenty One)

Thanks!

Yime

I promise you will get the right number this time,,

again.. thank you everyone

Now I have to run.. to play Sid Meiers Railrioads..

I cant help it... I'm a train junkie

My vote is for option #2. B) The thought for combining the locomotive and tender is a great idea, but the proportions of the cars look off.

Personally.... B) If you go with option #2, the three car set. You might as well go all the way with a 4 car set that includes a vintage caboose. But that is only my opinion!

:D You are making me a train lover!

Lummieh

My vote is for option #2. B) The thought for combining the locomotive and tender is a great idea, but the proportions of the cars look off.

Personally.... B) If you go with option #2, the three car set. You might as well go all the way with a 4 car set that includes a vintage caboose. But that is only my opinion!

:D You are making me a train lover!

Lummieh

well I DOooo have a picture of a vintage caboose... now that you mention it...

hmmm.. my attic is FULL of trains... now my geocoin collection... I see a pattern

B) You are making me a train lover!

Lummieh

hmmm.. my attic is FULL of trains... now my geocoin collection... I see a pattern

Yes! Yes! I like this idea! :D

B) You are making me a train lover!

Lummieh

Yes! Yes! I like this idea! :D

I agree. Now with the 3 cars, it almost looks incomplete without a caboose!

okay, heres my new and improved idea or vote....i like number one, but i dont like the overhang on the cab. If that was elimated or fixed, to be more proportional, that would be good, the 3 pieces of passenger car, engine and coal tender as one, and the caboose, that would be my ideal awesome set..but thats my opinion lol

Well: I don't mind the length that much but I am concerned about the roof length of the engine. It looks a bit too long in the first set. Is this proportional to a real engine?

I like the size in the second design, as the first set seems to be out of proportions in the over all size of the engine + tender compared to the passenger car.

I vote for option 2 with three coins. :laughing:

Here is a corrected (to scale) steam engine/tender and pass car

What u think?

stmtrn.jpg

I'd like to change my vote to option 1 - updated version. I definitely prefer the combined engine and tender now that the roof is fixed, and the tender looks like the right size (like I would know the difference - all I know is it more closely matches the proportions of the Thomas trains :laughing: )! I still think you should add the caboose for a 3-coin set, especially since there's a caboose silhouette on the back. :D

I vote for option 2 with three coins. :laughing:

Here is a corrected (to scale) steam engine/tender and pass car

What u think?

stmtrn.jpg

Even taking the risk as being too picky: here is a rendered version of the above image which looks in my eyes a little bit better. For me the Chimney in the fron tis the most prominent part and sticks out the highest (to get the smpke away from the rest of the engine and passenger cars, so why not make it visible in the outline of the coin? That way the outline of the pasenger car blends in better with the engine. What do you think?

stmtrnOshnDoc.jpg

Another suggestion that you may not want to hear at this point is to put wood in the tender. Though not an expert, I believe that the funnel style you have chosen is typically seen on wood burning engines - coal burning engines have a straight smoke stack. (I presume that the wood-burning style has something to do with catching burning embers.)

btw. The engine-tender / passenger car combination is looking pretty good. I was contemplating passing on this one, but I think that I may want it now after all.

Another suggestion that you may not want to hear at this point is to put wood in the tender. Though not an expert, I believe that the funnel style you have chosen is typically seen on wood burning engines - coal burning engines have a straight smoke stack. (I presume that the wood-burning style has something to do with catching burning embers.)

btw. The engine-tender / passenger car combination is looking pretty good. I was contemplating passing on this one, but I think that I may want it now after all.

you know.. you are right with the wood.. but .. I am from the coal fields of north eastern Pa..

thus my infatuation with coal...

but I can change it as you are quite correct in your observation...

This is correct; the General, upon which this design is based (vz. the third or fourth post of this thread, back on page #1), was a wood-burning engine, so the tender should have logs, stacked along the short axis of the tender; i.e. we should see the cross-section of the logs. There is a fair photo of The General on Wikipedia, for those who want to check this out. The overhang is very close to the actual overhang on The General, although now the tender is rather shorter. But lengthening the tender would make the whole thing much too long. So, the options are to shorten the engine a tad, or make this two coins, or just forget the problem entirely, because this is "based on", not an actual attempt to be a strict copy.

Personally, I would opt to make the engine and tender two coins, for the sake of verisimilitude. But I also like the idea of making the engine and tender one coin. If there is a way to slightly shorten the engine, without you having to go through a whole lot of work, that might be the thing to do. But the thing, as it stands, is OK. I would prefer to have one coin for these two, and have the tender a little too short, than have this thing get too expensive to be bought :laughing:

And I see that while I was typing the above... don't it always seem to work that way?

Edited by chaosmanor

I DO like OshnDoc's suggestion of bringing the top edge of the engine/tender in line with the passenger car! Better outline of the chimney, lines up with the passenger car better, and less empty space above the engine/tender.

corrected version should have online tomorrow

thanks...

also going to email all those who purchased the 1st set before the initial presale and reservation with the final artwork..

I have already sent emails to all owners of 06 trainset coins

I have the '06 Trainset coins but have not received an e-mail...

...regardless, I definitely am interested in getting this set.

Also, it's a small point but years ago I built a model of The General and all the wood was stacked lengthwise along the tender. Likewise, I have a Ten-Wheeler locomotive than runs on my garden railway and the wood on it's tender is also stacked lengthwise. Looking through old photos, I see both ways of stacking the wood used.

And then there is this a photo of The General with the wood stacked kind of higgledy-piggledy...

Steam-4-4-0-General-2.jpg

IMHO, interesting, but not worth worrying about changing the artwork for... :blink: