new geocaching game

bjb7

:unsure: I was thinking of a new geocaching game :grin: . The cache's are either made of metal or have like a nickel or something made of metal . You get a metal detector and look for either a cache burried or just a very hard cache . If you do make this as a new game please say that I came up the idea ,thanks . -bjb7 :grin:
:unsure: I was thinking of a new geocaching game :grin: . The cache's are either made of metal or have like a nickel or something made of metal . You get a metal detector and look for either a cache burried or just a very hard cache . If you do make this as a new game please say that I came up the idea ,thanks . -bjb7 :grin:

Hey, there's another guy that had a very similar idea to this one just tonight! Wow, two people think of the same thing at the same time.

What are the odds?

If you do make this as a new game please say that I came up the idea ,thanks . -bjb7 :unsure:

You're not the first to think of it. I saw an old man playing this game on a beach in florida over the summer.

Weeeeeeeeird! I've seen old men doing that in parks and on beaches here too. One even signd the log on one of my caches saying he found it with his metal detector. Ya think they know sumthin we don't?

1. No
  2. You are not the first to think of it. You arent even the 10th to think of it.
  3. No
  4. Since you have 2 hides already, you must know buried caches are not allowed.
  5. No
  6. Posting the same topic multiple times is considered spam and is against the rules here.
  7. No

Lots of areas ban metal detectors.

Until today I had never heard of such a ban. Does anyone have an idea why metal detectors would be banned? :lol:

Me either until after I spent 400.00 on a metal detector just to find out that they are banned in more places than caching. :)

El Diablo

It encourages digging. Some parks have sensitive areas where digging is not allowed. It then becomes a matter of regional policy on all parks under the DNR's control unless otherwise ammended.

metal detectors aren't banned, just the practice of burying caches. Most caches are hidden in plain view under leaves or sticks, in stumps or fallen trees. They can also be placed in common objects that look like they belong; bolts, culverts, pipes, fence post tops, junction boxes, fake logs, etc.. oops, maybe I said too much.

Anyway, you are not supposed to dig to hide your cache. but putting it under 10,000 lbs. of rocks is ok?

welcome, and have fun.

Don't be so hard on the newb. I think many of us have had a few misguided notions when we started the game. I hate to admit I left fireworks in the first cache I found (I returned to remove them when I was scolded in a regional forum).
After I initially found out what "sig items" meant, I thought it would be great to drop off those teeny bottles of Captain Morgan they always have near the cash register at Liquor Stores.

I'm still convinced that would be trading up.

Don't be so hard on the newb. I think many of us have had a few misguided notions when we started the game. I hate to admit I left fireworks in the first cache I found (I returned to remove them when I was scolded in a regional forum).
After I initially found out what "sig items" meant, I thought it would be great to drop off those teeny bottles of Captain Morgan they always have near the cash register at Liquor Stores.

I'd sure like to "collect" a bunch of your sig items! <_< Edited by Mopar
"Until today I had never heard of such a ban. Does anyone have an idea why metal detectors would be banned? <_<"
I have seen the signs banning the use of metal detectors in or around Civil War sites. For instance, there are signs banning the use of metal detectors on Loudoun Heights, on the WV/VA border along the Appalachian Trail and this is an unimproved area just out in the woods, not at all like Gettysburg. Geocaching could be banned at these areas as well.

France and some other European countries either restrict or ban metal detector use throughout the entire country to prevent destruction of battle or other historic sites.

Lots of areas ban metal detectors.

Until today I had never heard of such a ban. Does anyone have an idea why metal detectors would be banned? <_<

Many land managers don't like the idea of people digging up their parks.

Also many places have historic artifacts in the ground and don't want treasure hunters making off with them before they can be studied by archeaologists and historians.

My first cache had a couple of very good cigars vacuum sealed. I went back a year later and took them out and they were still in great shape (I even started vacuum sealing cigars for long term storage.

In the very beginning I also started using small bottles of Tabasco as a sig item before I was aware that food wasn't allowed.

Many land managers don't like the idea of people digging up their parks.

I recently saw a show on the travel channel where a group of civil war enthusiasts descended on a 200 acre area in Virginia to search for artifacts. They all carried metal detectors, along with mattocks, shovels and picks. They would search around until they found a buried firepit, then dig a hellacioiusly big hole. Then they use their metal detectors again to identify buttons, bullets and the like. Nothing was ever mentioned about filling in the holes.

As a geocacher, I was aghast! I couldn't imagine leaving that big a scar in the wild. I'm sure they were on private land with permission, but I could see how that show would encourage other people with metal detectors to go onto public land to find their own treasures.

i would love that but i dont have a metal detector but i did make a metal disk abot 5 inches in diameter at francotia sculpture park you can make them there for like $10 but mine was a gift because the owner works with my dad and she let us all make one for free so i have one to hide but i dont have a detector but i like the idea its like custom BM's :blink: we should use descriptions to the spot!

I bought my first metal detector in Oct. 2006. Then heard of Geocaching from my dad in Nov. 2006. I got my metal detector in Mid Nov. when I got the first one shipped to me it was wrong then had to ship it back and wait for the other one. Well I have not even used it yet but to test it. When I was reading about metal detectoring I found out they have thier own rules just like GC. I have met a few people that love metal detectoring and talk to me about how much fun it is. They go every nice day there is. Well I just love geocaching to much to drop it now even tho it has been only a few months of doing it. I do plan that once a month in the spring and summer to go out metal detectoring so I didn't waste my money on it. I think it would be easier to use a metal detector for geocaching if there is a TB or geocoin in there that it could pick up. But I think it would take away from the game. I have offered to help a geocacher find the TB and geocoin that was in his cache that got distroyed in the woods. He emailed me said that would be cool then never heard from him again. I would have went and looked myself for him but it was the end of a multi.

"Until today I had never heard of such a ban. Does anyone have an idea why metal detectors would be banned? :)"
I have seen the signs banning the use of metal detectors in or around Civil War sites. For instance, there are signs banning the use of metal detectors on Loudoun Heights, on the WV/VA border along the Appalachian Trail and this is an unimproved area just out in the woods, not at all like Gettysburg. Geocaching could be banned at these areas as well.

France and some other European countries either restrict or ban metal detector use throughout the entire country to prevent destruction of battle or other historic sites.

I think in a lot of European Countries it's allso a matter of safety for unexploded ordinance from WWII still around.