Bonus cache

oldnavy59

the one kinda hard cache I have hasnt been visited since July, we have some older cachers and alot of our cachers have young kids so the hard ones dont get too many visits. So this would be a cache that would be easy for the familys but still have something for the more adventuruos.

Edited by oldnavy59

One of our most memorable caching experiences involved a bonus cache. The primary was hidden off a nature trail in a big park. Ammo can, kewl swag, nice location....basically everything you could ask for. The bonus was a decon kit, tied to a brick, sunk under water in a culvert. You had to climb down into the ditch and duck walk about 20' into the culvert, feeling around on the bottom to locate it. While the primary was nice, the bonus was a blast! I kept expecting to get chomped on by an alligator!

A couple things to keep in mind, so you don't get disappointed later:

Not everybody is gonna be keen about the bonus.

The number oriented might avoid it because they don't get a smiley.

Some folks will avoid it due to the increase in difficulty.

Some folks will log the primary twice to keep their numbers "straight".

Shalom!

I am placing one that will be a total surprise too all...you'll have to find the main cache and THEN be told of the surprise cache. Cache will be one of those large totes (so it shouldn't be hard to find) placed in some deep woods (that will be the tough part for the finder...no trails, much bushwacking).

Will fill the tote with some nice items (ready to go caches, larger swag and a big FTF prize. My question about this would be how to give the bonus cache info? I thought of printing up a bunch of listing pages (could make a listing for it but archive or keep unpublished??), which would mean I'd have to check it often to assure someone didn't take ALL of them.

Another thought was to put my email in the cache and then they'd have to find it, go home and write me and THEN go back to get the final (a lot of work for a single smiley...for most).

You shouldn't have any problem placing a bonus, especially if it's not going to be listed anyway!

edit for bad editting.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

It's not a problem. I had a bonus cache listed yesterday. To get the coordinates for the second cache, you need to make the the walk through a nice woodland about two miles to another cache, where the second set of coordinates are listed inside. The second cache is somewhere along the walk back.

Even though this is not my topic I'm glad to see bonus caches are an accepted practice. I've been planning a tough mutli (4/4) with a 'special equipment' bonus stage at the end. The reason I'm going the bonus stage route is

1) The bonus was going to be the final and hardest stage but there wasn't room for the type of container I wanted. Doing your swag swapping before the end of the hunt or having a final stage thats easier than a previous one just seemed anti-climactic.

2) someone put an easy cache near my planned final and I cant avoid violating the proximity rule.

I'm hoping to have wooden coins made and send to anyone who successfully completes the bonus stage as an incentive to go the extra mile.

*snip

A couple things to keep in mind, so you don't get disappointed later:

Not everybody is gonna be keen about the bonus.

The number oriented might avoid it because they don't get a smiley.

Some folks will avoid it due to the increase in difficulty.

Some folks will log the primary twice to keep their numbers "straight".

Just like he said. I like the bonus idea, and would definitely go for it, smiley or no smiley. But then again, you will have to put up with some other shenanigans. The most common one I'd guess, would be people logging your normal cache twice.

wouldn't this be like a 'multi' cache? and just calling it a 'bonus'? and wouldn't need to share the 'bonus' coordinates with reviewer to make it an 'official' part of the cache? just my thoughts on this. I like the idea overall!!

I think by making it a bonus it gives them the option to find it or not, if it was a multi they would have to find it to get the smiley.

so if its a bonus you dont have to share that with the approver? what about if you say there is a bonus on the cache page does it have to be disclosed??