NUVI 660

NClingen

We got a Nuvi 660 for Christmas and really love it. I loaded up with local caches and now I can't get them out of it except by manually deleting each one. Does anybody know of an easy way to delete them all? I read somewhere to get a GPX reader to use to delete them. What is an easy one to download?

Thanks

Nancy

Ps. I'm not totally illiterate, I use a GPSMap 76CSX for caching and can load and delete these fine.

I'll reply to myself: Garmin says there is no quick way to delete all of the Geocaches.

I still need an easy GPX reader (or I think I do as somewhere I read I can use it to delete all Geocaches).

Thanks,

We got a Nuvi 660 for Christmas and really love it. I loaded up with local caches and now I can't get them out of it except by manually deleting each one. Does anybody know of an easy way to delete them all? I read somewhere to get a GPX reader to use to delete them. What is an easy one to download?

Thanks

Nancy

Ps. I'm not totally illiterate, I use a GPSMap 76CSX for caching and can load and delete these fine.

Nuvi - like all the units marked with footnote 2 at http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_garmin.html - reads GPX files.

When you attach it to a computer, the GPS exposes its internal memory of waypoints (and on some models tracks and routes) as a GPX file in a FAT32 filesystem that can be mounted as a disk volume. You can edit or replace that file. When the GPS is unmounted the unit will scan those directories, slurping up GPX files that it finds, and then use the results of that parse.

So if you just copy your GPX file (and it can take a PQ directly, though it's not exactly quick about it) to /media/nuvi/Garmin/waypoints, you'll overwrite the 'favorites' with your new set. You could read the old ones and merge them and so on.

Thanks

Nancy

Learned the trick with a google search.

1. Power off your 660.

2. Place your thumb on the upper left corner of the screen.

3. Power on the 660.

4. Wait for the confirmation screen and enter maintenance mode.

5. Choose delete all waypoints.

You'll have to redo you user settings as they are deleted too, but they take alot less time to change back than deleting 500 waypoints one at a time.

Overwriting the gpx file doesn't work. I have tryed all the diferent ways I could think of.

If you have any problems google "Deleting waypoints in a Nuvi 660"

I don't expect that you will.

Good luck,

HiTech MD

1. Power off your 660.

3. Power on the 660.

You'll have to redo you user settings as they are deleted too, but they take alot less time to change back than deleting 500 waypoints one at a time.

Overwriting the gpx file doesn't work. I have tryed all the diferent ways I could think of.

Good luck,

HiTech MD

Thanks for this tip...I was going crazy. Works like a champ! :)

Is there a way to associate the geocaching icons with the GPX file that I push into my Nuvi 660 via Garmin's POI loader? I can do this with my GPSmap 60 CSx. :(

Thanks in advance for anyone's help. B)

It sounds like you have got a handle on the Nuvi. A friend just bought one and to save me I can not figure how to get the geocaches in it. With my Quest, I use GSAK and it is a simple transfer. The same thing doesn't seem to work for the Nuvi. How do you do it? I tried downloading the POI downloader program from Garmin but could not get it to work either. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dooley the Clown

1. Power off your 660.

3. Power on the 660.

Good luck,

HiTech MD

Thanks for this tip...I was going crazy. Works like a champ! ;)

Is there a way to associate the geocaching icons with the GPX file that I push into my Nuvi 660 via Garmin's POI loader? I can do this with my GPSmap 60 CSx. ;)

Thanks in advance for anyone's help. :rolleyes:

I use GSAK as well.

Go to Export and export to a gpx file. I limit mine to 500 way points and filter it for "not founds" for the Nuvi.

Then connect the Nuvi via usb.

Open the primary Nuvi partition in My Computer. Mine is Garmin nuvi E:.

Open the Garmin folder, then the gpx folder.(if the nuvi waypoints are empty there will be a 1k file called labeled current.

Copy the gpx file you created with GSAK to the gpx folder.

Disconnect the nuvi and the waypoints should be loaded.

The new current gpx file should now be about 44k and the file you copied should be gone. This is normal the nuvi imports what it needs to the current gpx file.

The only down side is the waypoints are listed in the nuvi favorites by GC # and not by name. Name would be nice but the GC # doesn't clutter the screen as much.

Hope this helps,

1. Power off your 660.

3. Power on the 660.

Good luck,

HiTech MD

Thanks for this tip...I was going crazy. Works like a champ! ;)

Is there a way to associate the geocaching icons with the GPX file that I push into my Nuvi 660 via Garmin's POI loader? I can do this with my GPSmap 60 CSx. ;)

Thanks in advance for anyone's help. :rolleyes:

I just bought the new nuvi 650 and the operation is similar to what has been stated here. The "Favorites" file on the nuvi comes from a file called "current.gpx". Windows shows this file in the Garmin nuvi(G:) \Garmin\gpx folder. Of course, the G: drive may vary from user to user. You are able to drag various .gpx files to this folder. Then the nuvi will combine all of them into the "current.gpx" file. Garmin tech support explained the individual waypoint delete option, and the radical "maint" reboot delete which deletes all waypoints and your home location and any other favorites you have created, as well. As a permanent solution (until Garmin addresses this issue), I believe, I will create (via my own software) a gpx file on my PC that contains my permanent favorites. Then after each radical "maint" delete, I will reload my permanent favorites file, followed by all new waypoint files.

I was experimenting with my nuvi 650 and believe there is another way to handle the "delete caches" issue. Garmin supplies a POI (point of interest) loader for free. You download it from their website. The loader then allows you to load one or more .GPX, .CSV (Notepad) or Excel files into the nuvi (they will send you an email describing how to build the Noetpad and Excel POI files). Then, on the nuvi 650, instead of referencing the "Favorites" icon to find your caches, instead you reference the "Extras" icon to find your caches (POI). The beauty is that it appears that when finished with your stored caches on the nuvi, it is an easy matter to delete the POI files from the nuvi using your Windows PC. This is something that could not be done from Windows with the Favorites file. I haven't field tested this procedure yet, but it appears to be a solution. Another plus: in addition to just the waypoint identity displayed by the Favorites method, the nuvi displays cache owner, cache title, diff/terr, etc from the very same gpx file loaded by the POI method.