veni vidi sivi

Sagasu

"Team" Sagasu has come across the expression veni vidi sivi in several log comments and have been able to determine that it has something to do with "to come, to see, to allow or permit." There seems to be a correlation to Caesar's veni, vidi, vici (I came, I saw, I conquered). We have tried to look this up on Latin online but can't get the expression pinned down that way very well, and when we type it in as such all we get is reference to cache logs, some of them in other parts of the world in foreign languages. Can anyone help out? :unsure:

Edited by Sagasu

I came, I saw, I took nothing and signed log?

Fixed the topic name for you and because this really isn't a getting started issue I'm moving it to the general forum where more people will see it.

sino sinere sivi situm, to let alone, leave; to let, allow, permit; partic. situs -a -um, placed, laid down; lying, situated.

"to let alone" -perhaps mean TNLN ?

is a famous Latin phrase coined by Roman general and consul Julius Caesar in 47 BC; Caesar used the phrase as the full text of his message to the Roman senate describing his recent victory over Pharnaces II of Pontus in the Battle of Zela. Caesar's terse remark -- translated as "I came, I saw, I conquered" -- simultaneously proclaimed the totality of his victory and served to remind the senate of Caesar's military prowess (Caesar was still in the midst of a civil war); alternatively, the remark can be viewed as an expression of Caesar's contempt for the patrician senate, traditionally representing the most powerful group in the Roman Republic.

is a famous Latin phrase coined by Roman general and consul Julius Caesar in 47 BC; Caesar used the phrase as the full text of his message to the Roman senate describing his recent victory over Pharnaces II of Pontus in the Battle of Zela. Caesar's terse remark -- translated as "I came, I saw, I conquered" -- simultaneously proclaimed the totality of his victory and served to remind the senate of Caesar's military prowess (Caesar was still in the midst of a civil war); alternatively, the remark can be viewed as an expression of Caesar's contempt for the patrician senate, traditionally representing the most powerful group in the Roman Republic.

You're thinking of "Veni, Vidi, Vici" (see this Wikipedia article).

The phrase being discussed is "Veni, Vidi, Sivi". :(

--Larry

P.S. I have a tee shirt that says "Veni, Vidi, Volo domum redire ("I came, I saw, I want to go home")." Gotta love Latin, makes it sound so important. <_<