Cache Techtonics too hard?

Gps Storm

Ok, so this is my first time on the forums... so please be kind.

Today Snowwolf requested the our 'Cache Techtonics'

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...78-7a6122867bf8

cache be archived because he says it is too dangerous.

His request goes as follows:

"as fun as it was to climb up and get some loose rocks fall right next to you I would like to see that this cache be archived due to safety issues. we don't need cachers to get hurt out there.

if you are going to attempt this one ensure that you have some kind of head protection, medical assistance is not close at hand."

I would just like to know from any cachers out there (that have done it) what they think!

We have given it a 4.5 difficulty rating.

I personally feel that someone who only has 3 hides is not as qualified to comment on hides as others who have in the hundreds.

So please let the opinions flow. :)

We didn't have any problems with Cache Techtonics, in fact we enjoyed doing it very much. Never once did we consider the fact that it might be dangerous in any way.

www.geocaching.com have the star rating system for both difficulty and terrain so that cachers have a choice as to which caches they choose to do - the choice is ours and nobody elses. In very much the same way, if we do get injured, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Every now and again one does a cache that you do not enjoy or consider not to be up to scratch - others doing the same cache love it! This is no different - you can't please everyone all of the time! :)

For people who have not done this cache THIS is what you are up against.

My personal opinion : If the cache warns you to be careful and you have any doubts about your own ability, then move on to the next one. Any cache placed in the bush, on a koppie anywhere should then be archived too, as the real possibility of getting bitten by a snake exists. Or mugged for that matter. Ask Discombob.

Nope, ignore snowolf. The cache is dangerous, and I take responsibility for taking part in Geocaching.

As for one of the cachers that are vertically challenged and also ahave height-o-phobia, I did this cache during September 2006. Must say it looked more daunting that it really was, but I would think a warning on the cache page about the terain should be more than enough.

Else you can always place micro at the bottom of the cliff for those that are scared of heights :)

mmm, havent done it, but looks fun!

but now now, children , lets not bicker and argue and pass nasty comments on the cache page - why can't we all just get along :D

I have a cache I've been wanting to place on table mountain for quite some time, but have been nervous to as it is a pretty dangerous route - and I am scared to go back myself :huh:

i once saw a story on the news about a hiker who had fallen on the front face of TM, and I thought to myself, oh lordy, I hope thats not someone doing Frodos Journey :)

all the same, I'm sure I'll get round to placing it soon!!

:unsure::grin::grin:

Ok well that settles it then....

Geocaching is not for sissies!!!

If you have fun hidding a cache then you've achieved your goal, just make sure to put in your log that it should not be attempted by the faint at heart.

See ya all later..... I'm off to get me a geocaching helmet!!

HA HA HA!!

:D:D:D

QFC put a note on the cache listing saying:

Guys, comments like this have a place and that is the public forum. Please note when snowolf started caching and then show some respect. Each person has a right to their opinions. (back to the forums for me)

I would just like to add that we really do not mind opinions, they are always welcome. We were upset because it was a request to the reviewers, not a opinion!!!

We have removed all the bumf from the cache listing and at 'erik88l-r's' advice added in that one should be weary of loose rocks.

Thank you all for your support and input... much appreciated.

:unsure::grin::grin:

Wow, One misses quite a lot if the telkom lines are off (again!!!!!). I have not done the cache, but will defnitely go sometime - I recon if you are prepared to place it - and maintain it, then there should be another cachers who will be prepared to go and find it.

One can always take enemies (oops sorry), friends <_< with and introduce them to the game, by sending them up.