Garmin 76CSx cheaper than 60CSx?

Howdy folks,

Although this is only my fourth post and having been a member for a short time, I am a daily lurker. :) Great site, lots of great info, and I enjoy the great attitudes from everyone. Anyway, I am really partial to the Garmin 60CSx and would like to make a purchase soon, but I am wondering why the 76CSx is $10.00 cheaper at gsponsale compared to the 60CSx. I have read comments by many stating the buttons on top make it difficult to use with one hand, but I can't imagine that would effect popularity. Also this unit has a 128 MB microSD compared to the 60CSx's 64 MB SD. I guess it seems somewhat odd to see the 76CSx suddenly lower. I do have a "comparison" question about these units though. I have come across many comments/concerns about the 60CSx having a very very low audible sound for auto-routing. How is the audible for the 76CSx in comparison? Thanks everyone...have a great day.

Dan

Edited by Brave New World

Hi Dan,

Recieved my 76CSx today and can't believe how impressive it is. Reminds me of the look on peoples faces when I hooked up their first satellite dish for them in '84. I noticed the notification beeps were very hard to hear and have not been able to find a volume control in any menus. Maybe someone with a little more expierence will have a better answer. Been playing with it all day. My maps haven't arrived yet but I'm very impressed with sat reception, even in my house, downstairs in a two story and lots of forest around me. $341 from ShipDog w/no shipping or tax and less than a week. Very impressed. Looking forward to getting started if I can get my maps from Amazon. Buttons on top don't seem to bother me, but with no experience, no handling memories to get in the way. Hope I can figure a way to make the beeps louder. Good luck

There's really not much difference in these units other than form factor. On Garmin's site, they show the exact same suggested retail price and the spec are pretty close to each other.

A slight difference ($10) could just reflect the vendors available stock, price they got from their jobber, etc... nothing fundamentally different about the unit's popularity.

I believe the only reason for price is demand more people like the 60 simply cause it seems more friendly to the hand held user due to being smaller. the 76 is slightly larger size wise I believe it is more attractive to the nautical user because it floats(since I only use mine around small streams and rivers I prefer waterproof but sinks, don't like idea of chasing my GPS downstream) which is also related to the size I assume something inside for added buoyancy. Either way you get the same exact features so if you like it then you got what you wanted.

I saw the 76Cx over the weekend for $315, which surprised me. It made me wonder how much the 60Cx was selling for and I found the 76Cx is selling for less than the 60Cx at a lot of places. Though at chumbo.com (never dealt with them), it's only $5 less than the 60. I wonder if it's just a supply and demand thing. Once I actually held a 76, I found the button layout not to be awkward at all.

The 76 series models USED to have a higher MSRP than the 60 series (by $50, IIRC). Since shortly before Christmas, I've been seeing them at the same or lower price than the 60's. I'm of the opinion that more folks were buying the 60's because the included memory is no big deal (most people buy bigger chips, anyway), so they were just buying what was cheaper at the time...which then left Garmin (and everybody else) with a surplus of 76's that weren't selling. The only sensible thing to do in that case is to lower the price until they sell.

I have a 76CSx and I like it a lot. I find the buttons perfectly natural to use while holding the unit. It's my opinion that they're easier to use than the 60's, even, because you have a more secure hold on the receiver. With the 60, you have to hold the very bottom of the receiver to use the buttons. Not a big deal, but it feels nice, at least.

Hi again,

After owning my 76CSx for 26.34 hours now (not exactly pro status yet) I have found that cradling it and using my thumb for the buttons feels much more balanced that when I hold it lower as if I were using a lower button placement as on the 60. It would be a little wide for smaller hands though. I think most the boyancy comes from an enclosed antenna. More air space. But, what do I know. I'll get back to you after I've broken it a few times with more experience. Which every one you end up with, I think you won't like the tones.

I have found that cradling it and using my thumb for the buttons feels much more balanced that when I hold it lower as if I were using a lower button placement as on the 60.

That's what I think although I've only been able to handle the units it in a store as I still haven't purchased one yet. But it is down to the 60 or 76 and I think the 76 is winning. all things being equal the price drop may be the push over the fence I needed.

I do not think the 60csx floats. I bought a 76csx which does float. I thought the buttons on top would be a problem but it was no big deal.

You can set the volume of the beep on one of the pages that contains a bunch of icons for settings. Look for "System", the volume might be there. If not, look under "Geocache" or "Waypoints" (as in, volume of sound to make when approaching a waypoint) or "Audio". Just keep looking in that settings page.

Having owned both, I'd like to report that the build quality as well as the material used for the 60C(S)x series is much better. The gold-toned trimming of the lens material surrounding the screen and buttons of the 76Cx is susceptible to fading when constantly subjected to a buffing/rubbing action. Somehow, the 60Cx feels much more solid and substantial.

Although, I will add that that the form factor of the 76Cx makes it much easier to mount in a car or boat when improvised means are adopted. Nothing sticking out to break-off, too.

BR,

w a y

Edited by waypoint

Having owned both, I'd like to report that the build quality as well as the material used for the 60C(S)x series is much better. The gold-toned trimming of the lens material surrounding the screen and buttons of the 76Cx is susceptible to fading when constantly subjected to a buffing/rubbing action. Somehow, the 60Cx feels much more solid and substantial.

Although, I will add that that the form factor of the 76Cx makes it much easier to mount in a car or boat when improvised means are adopted. Nothing sticking out to break-off, too.

BR,

w a y

"Gold-Tone material"??? :D What are you talking about? I have mine inhand, and there is no gold tone material to rub rub off. The 60 series is no better or worse built than the 76. They are simply different form factors of the SAME UNIT, with a larger memory card in the 76. The 76 is (in my oppinion) geared more for the person that may also want to use a handheld in a car & boat situation (I kayak, so I noturaly went with the floater). There is an article (too lazy to find it myself) that discusses the floatability of the 60CSx, and has video file links. In general, it depends on the type of batteries you use in it. Alkaline sink it, and I think it was Nickle/Metal Hydride (or Lithiums) it floated a little, but not like the 76 does (Its the entrapped air inside the sealed antenna). The 60 is cellphone based input, the 76 is remote control style input. They are basically THE SAME UNIT, in two form factors to suit the end user. Just see which one fits you better and buy it. They are both great units, and you will be happy if you are willing to spend the money. :D

Well, perhaps my verbal description may not be very accurate but if you had a 60C(S)x with you, you would observe that other than the screen, there is no 'polished, shiny plastic' to mar. Whereas, on the 76Cx, the raised plastic lens surrounding the screen and buttons is much more susceptible to scuffs and scratches. And what I'm saying is, this little piece of raised plastic is painted over(by some process) by whatever colour you want to call it. So in terms of build quality for the type of activity the 76Cx is made for, the design considerations and choice of materials & processes used were, IMHO, a little off.

And as far as the "rub-rub off", this has not only happened to my 76Cx, but to 2 other units belonging to friends who stow it in similar pouches on our load bearing vests; the bottom corners under the screen where the 'GARMIN' text is. In the case of the 60Cx, the same treatment has but caused some of the little rubber dots at the bottom to wear off.

It's just a personal observation. My intention wasn't to go about bashing the 76 series.

BR,

w a y

Point is, if you have it in a "pouch" that is rubbing the finish off the 76, and the "RUBBER DOTS" off your 60's, you "pouch" is not a good fit. I protect all my expensive electronics in a good purpose built case. I personally use a Gilsson neoprene case. This is not a design flaw, but rather a handling flaw. However, none of this really matters to the original poster, & is off topic.

The answer to original poster is yes, I have now seen the 76 cheaper than the 60. The two are the same device in two different form factors, with the 76 having a larger (128MB vs. 64MB) SD card. Otherwise, no differance. Pick the one that suits your needs / wallet, and enjoy your new purchase. Hope this helps and stays on your topic thread.

I do not think the 60csx floats. I bought a 76csx which does float. I thought the buttons on top would be a problem but it was no big deal.

You can set the volume of the beep on one of the pages that contains a bunch of icons for settings. Look for "System", the volume might be there. If not, look under "Geocache" or "Waypoints" (as in, volume of sound to make when approaching a waypoint) or "Audio". Just keep looking in that settings page.

I just got my 76CSX and i sure can't find the volume control.

Anyone else other then this guy have any luck?

--danny

I just got my 76CSX and i sure can't find the volume control.

Anyone else other then this guy have any luck?

--danny

There isn't one, but there are a variety of event sounds you can choose from, some louder than others.