mapsend topo 3D and the eXplorist 210

defr0st

how many regions will i be able to store on the 22mb of memory that comes on the eXplorist210. a few friends and I are thinking about going out to nebraska this summer and i am hoping that there will be enough room to put the maps on of that region. will the 22mb's be enough space for a few regions or should i get the 400 just because of the SD slot?

I have an Ex400 with a 512mb card, and I have about 15 large city areas on it (so far). Each area takes up 150k to 300k. The largest file I have covers Tarrant County and Dallas County (700k). This area covers all of Fort Worth and Dallas and their suburban areas. If you don't want to spend the bucks for a new unit, the 210 should suit you. If you travel around (like I do), it's a really great feature to load maps on the SD card and just keep them ALL on the unit.

By the way, I have been very pleased with the 400 overall. I like the black and white screen better than the 500's color screen because it is easier to see in bright sunlight.

Price difference might not be too much of an issue, come to think of it. I bought my 400 new on Ebay for $110, including topo 3d. There are deals out there that can make the list price difference a moot point.

Enjoy the warm climate in Nebraska!

I have the 500 with a 1 gig card, I have between 3/4 and 7/8 of the continental US on it and about 1000 caches.

Since we are fulltime RVrs its nice to have that much on the gps, but it would be no problem if we only had a 32 meg card as I could change out the regions as I needed it.

As to how much could you load onto the 22megs it would all depend on the areas, heavily populated areas are going to take more room on the card then sparsely populated areas.

OK, neither of you answered his/her question. 22mb 'should' be enough for nebraska, but without pulling up my nebraska file, I can't say yes with any certainty. If you are looking to upgrade, go with one with an sd card. Otherwise, just tailor the map to fit the area you are going to. 22mb should be enough for a few hundred square miles of hunting.

OK, neither of you answered his/her question. 22mb 'should' be enough for nebraska, but without pulling up my nebraska file, I can't say yes with any certainty. If you are looking to upgrade, go with one with an sd card. Otherwise, just tailor the map to fit the area you are going to. 22mb should be enough for a few hundred square miles of hunting.

I don't know I thought my last paragraph was informational

As to how much could you load onto the 22megs it would all depend on the areas, heavily populated areas are going to take more room on the card then sparsely populated areas.

I don't know I thought my last paragraph was informational

It all boils down to what kind of $$$$ you are willing to spend. I'm assuming this is a follow up to an earlier question you asked about GPS units??

If you can swing the money for the unit, maps, SD card and whatever other accessories you may want, it's a no brainer...buy the 400 or better yet, the 500. If you can't afford all that (and it could be more than $400 depending on what you end up buying) go ahead and buy the 210.

I can't recall what the memory on the unit of my 500LE is, but I have a few areas downloaded already and plenty of room for more...and that's without the SD card.

Local.jpg

This is what I have loaded (Pink Outlined area) on my 210. As you can see the area is a little over 21Meg.

I checked what size NE was from north, south, east, west. With every type of POI selected, and topo info it was about 24 Meg. Without POI info it was 23 Meg, without topo info it was 14 Meg.

Edited by Hanzerik

Hi :(

Not sure if this will help but I'm also planning a big trip and I found that if I cropped all the cities and places I planning on visiting and make up many detail maps; I can punch in each detail map along the way. Thus cutting down on all the areas I wont be in... You can also "explore" your plug in memory device(GPS unit) from your desktop and get an idea of how much memory you have used and how much you have left... Good luck :laughing: