eTrex Legend

T and M

Hey all. I'm really new to this sport. I just bought a eTrex Legend handheld unit and was wondering if I could have done better. To me it's alittle annoying to have the backlight go off every few seconds. I know I saw something about changing the timer but still..... And I find it hard to see if its even a little dark outside. The toggle switch is a little hard to use too. Did I not look around enough, are they all about the same? What kind are most of you using? Any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated. :)

Yes, you can set the backlight to stay on longer. And I'm not sure what you mean when you say it is hard to see in the dark. That's what the backlight is for. I love my Legend. Do you have the color one or B&W? Mine is B&W. The 5-way button is a little odd that you have to use your left hand, but you'll get used to it. The user interface is very easy to use and intuitive, I think.

Hey all. I'm really new to this sport. I just bought a eTrex Legend handheld unit and was wondering if I could have done better. To me it's alittle annoying to have the backlight go off every few seconds. I know I saw something about changing the timer but still..... And I find it hard to see if its even a little dark outside. The toggle switch is a little hard to use too. Did I not look around enough, are they all about the same? What kind are most of you using? Any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated. :)

You can go into the settings, and set the backlight to "always on". With that setting, you can toggle the backlight on/off at will, and it will not "auto-off" after the time delay, like normal.

This is how I have mine set.

You shouldn't need the backlight unless it's really dark. It's probably the contrast setting. Go into the setup on the Main Menu page and change the contrast to a better level. The manual has details. The Legend isn't actually a black and white unit - it's a greyscale unit, with 8 (IIRC) levels. If the contrast is set wrong you may only see some of the levels, making it hard to read.

Edited by NightPilot