Calling all Toyotas

Jeepstr

I'm eyeing the FJ Cruiser, but it requires premium fuel. :D

(snip photo)

The car companies just tell you that No car requires a special kind of fuel except for Diesel and Regular Unleaded of course.

What would be the motivation of a car company to "just tell you" something that would be a considered a negative impacting the potential sale of a vehicle?

I think a lot of it is the government putting pressure on the manufacturers to meet EPA numbers.

Manufacturers probably have to meet EPA numbers by running premium fuel, and since they have to list those numbers on the window stickers, they have to tell you to run premium fuel. Also, if you ever need warranty repair done, even though running lower grade fuel may have NOTHING to do with the failure, it gives the manufacturer an "out" to refuse the work.

IIRC, Toyota pulled this a few years ago on one of their minivan models. The motors supposedly had sludge problems and were seizing up. Toyota calimed it was due to running lower grade fuel and lack of maintenance. Ended up being a LARGE class action over it.

Toyota has been saying their trucks need Premium since the early 80's at least...Supposedly the 22RE motor "needs" premium...I know of MANY, MANY of these motors that have gone well over 200K miles on regular 87.

On topic, I have a 99 Taco and a 1980 Hilux I use for caching. I hope to have my 74 FJ40 and 86 Cressida finished soon, so I'll have more choices to swap between.

I see some of you have "old skool" Toy 4x4's...Any of you frequent Pirate4x4 or IH8MUD, or any other Toy forums?

Edited by Blue_stone

I think a lot of it is the government putting pressure on the manufacturers to meet EPA numbers.

Manufacturers probably have to meet EPA numbers by running premium fuel, and since they have to list those numbers on the window stickers, they have to tell you to run premium fuel.

Premium fuel probably doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference to mileage, so I doubt very much that this is the reason. That said, it's not true that no car requires premium fuel. Some cars do have engines that will knock on lower grades. But it is true that you can safely use the lowest grade of gasoline that won't cause knocking -- those people who tell you to always use premium fuel in any car are simply telling you to waste money.

Now onto the topic: I have a 2006 Scion xB (with 69,000 miles on it already!) I love that baby.

Edited by marnen

LOVE Toyotas. I have a Ford Explorer right now, but that's because my 13 year old '93 Toyota Corolla died a few years back. It had around 250,000 miles on it and I probably only every put about $500 worth of repairs on it in the 5 or 6 years I had it. It didn't give out until the engine did, and that's saying something! I'd buy another Toyota in a heartbeat if I had the money...had to settle on the explorer because it was cheap and available at the time...it is better at getting down dirt roads though!

LOVE Toyotas. I have a Ford Explorer right now, but that's because my 13 year old '93 Toyota Corolla died a few years back. It had around 250,000 miles on it and I probably only every put about $500 worth of repairs on it in the 5 or 6 years I had it. It didn't give out until the engine did, and that's saying something! I'd buy another Toyota in a heartbeat if I had the money...had to settle on the explorer because it was cheap and available at the time...it is better at getting down dirt roads though!

My '88 corolla had about 285K miles. Then i let my brother borrow it and he gave it to his MIL. Im still fuming about it. It was a great car and i loved it. Now someone else is loving it. :blink:

My '88 corolla had about 285K miles. Then i let my brother borrow it and he gave it to his MIL. Im still fuming about it. It was a great car and i loved it. Now someone else is loving it. :P

;):anibad::P:P;)

Umm...yeah.Family or not that wouldn't fly.

:ph34r: I am on my fourth Toyota. Two bought new, two used. 89 Toyota Camry was still running with over 450K on it except the body rusted and we had to climb in and out of the window. Made a mistake by then buying a Chevy Blazer - always in the shop. 92 Toyota Sienna with 180K when my bossed talked me into letting her buy it. Well over 200K now and still going strong. Next was my 06 Corolla - great vehicle - especially with gas prices. Last I bought a 97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 for my son although it is my cachmobile until he can drive. It has 170K on it with no issues. We don't go caching without it.

2006 Prius. We've had it less than a year, and already our caching adventures have seen it down dirt roads, forestry maintenance roads, and stuck in a snow filled ditch! :laughing: All it needed were the chains though and we were good to go! Those things are tougher than they look, and you couldn't ask for better handling!

I had a green '76 Land Cruiser, but I rolled it over a guardrail in to oncoming traffic on MD-193 in January '98. Myself and my two passengers emerged with nothing but a few bumps and bruises. The ambulance crew told me they were expecting to transport bodies. Thank God for roll bars.

About a dozen Greenbelt and PG county cruisers showed up for no good reason. Maybe they expected a drug dealer when they heard "Land Cruiser" over the radio without paying attention to the year.

I regret wrecking that thing. It was lots of fun to drive :(