Calling all Toyotas

Jeepstr

I used to drive a little toyota. Nothing special, 3 inch body lift, with 33 x 12.5 tires. Loved that thing like a son, until everything became rust overnight. I don't know where they get their metal from (at least for the 94 toyotas) but it is some horrible stuff.

Ran like a champ though!

I need to get some pics up, but I have an '02 Tacoma TRD that is awesome. I'm sure there's some pretty gnarly caches around, but I haven't found one yet that the Tacoma couldn't get me to. (Although Jeepster, placed one in my area that sounds like it may be too much for the mighty yota :laughing: ). Its my daily driver, so I probably wont do anything too crazy to it, probably a small lift to fit a little bit bigger tires. I installed a lightbar with 2 KC daylighters and 2 Cibie rally lights, so getting to caches at night is no longer a problem!

My very first 4WD was a 1970 Land Cruiser station wagon. That thing was built like a tank and I drove it in all kinds of terrain. Now, after about five various 4WD, I have a 2000 Land Cruiser. For what I paid for this one I could have bought about 20 of the 1970 rigs. I will be 82 in April and this is my last vehicle. It is also the best vehicle I have ever owned and should be for the price. We use it and a Roadtrek Van/RV on a Dodge chassis to do all of our Geocaching. I started my 4 wheel drive vehicles with a 1970 Land Crusher and will end with the 2000 Land Crusher. I have always driven a 4WD vehicle since I had the 1970. Have had a lot of other makes and models for the family. Dick

Scratch that one on mine. The ol Corolla is dying. All the rough dirt road destroyed the suspension and it'll cost too much to replace it.

I've got a 96 Corolla and it's doing great. 135K and hopefully another 135k in it. It doesn't like dirt roads either but it goes on them anyway.

I'd love a 97 Land Cruiser but they are spendy and gas hogs...I may get one anyway when I pay off the Orthodontist. Or I might get a quad cab Tacoma (if they made one like the Avalanche I'd get it now and not wait).

As for the new FJ mentioned, Hate to say it but Toyota missed the mark and the XTerra hit it. Even though Toyota missed...it's still better than all the dometic crud (Jeep Rubicons excluded).

Edited by Renegade Knight

I drive a 2000 Tacoma TRD. I love it. Before that I had the same model, but it was totaled in a head on collision. I didn't have as much as a scratch on me, the other driver, who crossed the center line, wasn't so lucky. Needless to say, that is why I replaced it with the exact same vehicle, only in a different color. Hopefully I will be as safe if I ever have another accident! :P

Let's hear it for the 90 Toyota HILUX Surf! Great ride and handles the off-road quite well. Not quite as rugged as the old topless (and bottomless in some places :) ) International Scout that I learned to drive on, but a great vehicle for getting me around off road.

I've got a 96 Corolla and it's doing great. 135K and hopefully another 135k in it. It doesn't like dirt roads either but it goes on them anyway.

I have a 96 Corolla too. And I have put a bunch of money into the thing in the past year. In the past month the starter and catalytic converter pooped out. Considering it has 183,000 miles, I think I got my money's worth out of the car. Been troublefree, requiring nothing more than routine maintenance until last year. Got me to hundreds of caches and benchmarks while averaging around 28.5 mpg. Good fuel economy is important given the amount of driving involved in caching. Since Toyota is slow to introduce the new Corolla here, and I don't particularly care for their new style direction, I am eyeing a 2007 Civic.

testing avatar

There's a whole topic for testing avatars. Please use that in the future, so things remain on-topic.

Last summer I was in the Toyota dealership intrerested in the hybrid Highlander. Then I saw it......The FJ Cruiser. I tell you I fell in love. It wasn't the prettiest, the best mileage, or rated the best but I couldn't keep my eyes off it. It was branded in my brain. I bought and have no regrets. I'm giving it 6 months until I take it off-roading. Giving it a 3' lift and using ARB parts.

I have a 96 Corolla too. And I have put a bunch of money into the thing in the past year. In the past month the starter and catalytic converter pooped out. Considering it has 183,000 miles, I think I got my money's worth out of the car. Been troublefree, requiring nothing more than routine maintenance until last year. Got me to hundreds of caches and benchmarks while averaging around 28.5 mpg. Good fuel economy is important given the amount of driving involved in caching. Since Toyota is slow to introduce the new Corolla here, and I don't particularly care for their new style direction, I am eyeing a 2007 Civic.

I too have a 96 Corolla. I think it's around 118k. And it's so good at getting me to caches and across country. :rolleyes:

I have a 2003 Toyota Matrix. It has a bit more clearance than some cars, so I have taken it, very carefully, down a few back roads.

If you are camping -- alone -- you can sleep in the car, comfortably, if the weather doesn't allow you to set up your tent. :rolleyes:

If I had the money, I would get an FJ Cruiser. :P I love the looks of that vehicle. :rolleyes:

Here's a picture of my four-wheeling rig. Though since I avoid driving it on regular streets (it's a trail rig and I haul it on a trailer) it's only applicable in terms of geocaching in that I plan to hide a couple on some local trails such as the Rubicon and Fordyce this year.

4runner.jpg

94fa9c63-e796-49ef-9e7c-e8d6ca3bdfaf.jpg

My 2006 Toyota Corolla CE. Made the purchase earlier in the week but could not have it til the following Saturday.

I arrived at the Dealership at 8am and went through the pre-delivery phase and was out the door by 9am, by 10:30am I was in New York state at a Geo-Event. The event organizers were impressed by my dedication.

Binrat

Let's hear it for the 90 Toyota HILUX Surf! Great ride and handles the off-road quite well. Not quite as rugged as the old topless (and bottomless in some places :ph34r: ) International Scout that I learned to drive on, but a great vehicle for getting me around off road.

I've got a 1991. It's a great ride although I did manage to get it stuck on the beach last week. I was driving a section that I've driven at least a dozen times before. I hit a soft spot and sunk in so the bottom of the Surf was on the sand. All four wheels were spinning. Luckly I was close enough to some very helpful people with a large tractor.

This is our 00 Toyota Land Cruiser KZJ95 (Prado in the US).

509be1e1-15fd-475d-b6c3-341abb84956c.jpg

Toyota at sunset in GCZ5KE

It´s our everyday family car and we use it a lot for caching.

We also have a 89 UMM wich is a Portuguese offroad vehicle (the one in the avatar). We love this one and use it in more rough terrains. Now is doing a some body and paint job so probably no more mud for him untill summer.

(for pics on this one please check our profile)

For city caches we sometimes use Cris little Class A Mercedes wich is real nice for parking in small spaces like Lisbon old center.

Edited by manchanegra

Let's hear it for the 90 Toyota HILUX Surf! Great ride and handles the off-road quite well. Not quite as rugged as the old topless (and bottomless in some places :D ) International Scout that I learned to drive on, but a great vehicle for getting me around off road.

Crashing the Toyota thread for more Scouts!

2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD II, stock, short bed, crew cab, canopy.

Right now it's a ridgeback hauler, and a cache-mobile when the

MACbookpro 'makes the scene'. Lily's got her conformation

championship, next lure-coursing and tracking titles, then she'll

(Wifey)talk me into a dog (as opposed to a bitch) and we'll start into it

again. Jeeze will the Fiero EVER get done? I hope so!

Full plate

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Can't believe I'm saying this,but after 25 months in Iraq and dealing with Tacomas and Hiluxes,I'm going to get a Yota....I'm thinking an 85 or earlier straight axle.A good second,gas efficient truck till my 86 3/4 Chev diesel conv is done.Just can't get along without a fullsize.Wish I could get a diesel hilux with the 2.8 diesel...You can literally drive the thing for two weeks before filling up.Toyota should offer that motor in the states...I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

IMGA1105.jpg

Made the bed rack,front and rear bumpers with another guy here.These trucks are awsome.I've seen em run with gas in the tank,clogged air filters,newbies behind the wheel that can't drive a standard.

I think this one's an 02 model.

Forgot to add-And yes,I have used it as a cache mobile while here.

Edited by vtmtnman

The Sevateem uses a 07 FJ (blue) when we have to get to a cache no matter where it is. And for the FTF's on good roads the Toy we use is a 2000 Celica GTS, that will get 2 (3 if need be) of us there fast. One of the team members also has a Vibe that is a Matrix in disguise. We don't talk about the third members BMW.

My 2006 Scion xA has gone down too many dirt roads, for the most part it loves them; but that one dirt road that turned out to be like a sand dune...well, lets just say if you see a little blue scion xA parked near the start of a dirt road with signal in the back and a ton of duct tape hanging off of the front underside; I'm down there caching :lol:

It's a great car though. I absolutely love it; I just need to learn how to treat it better.

Edited by ThirstyMick