What is the best auto dash mount for 60CSx?

I can't decide which is the best auto dash mount for the 60CSx?

I have looked at the Garmin Accessories page and I'm now confused. Such things as: "Portable friction mount (no installation required). Please note: This accessory is a replacement and does not include the entire automotive dash mount." So just exactly what do I need to use this? Garmin doesn't explain and that leaves me hanging.

I'm looking for something that will easily allow me to switch between different vehicles. Two vehicles have a large dash and one almost nothing.

So I'm looking at the suction cup mount and also something that will keep it in one place on the larger dash.

Really tempted to go with the suction cup and stay out of California!

Anyway, what do you like and why?

Thanks,

Steve

:laughing:

I have looked at the Garmin Accessories page and I'm now confused. Such things as: "Portable friction mount (no installation required). Please note: This accessory is a replacement and does not include the entire automotive dash mount." So just exactly what do I need to use this? Garmin doesn't explain and that leaves me hanging.

I'm looking for something that will easily allow me to switch between different vehicles. Two vehicles have a large dash and one almost nothing.

So I'm looking at the suction cup mount and also something that will keep it in one place on the larger dash.

Thanks,

Steve

I was on a trip to Calif. which I took my 60csx and while in the rental car my arm was fallen off holding this near the dash. So I went to find screen and the shopping icon found the nearest Radio Shack, I took my GPS in to find some kind of mount. All I could find was a cell phone vent holder and this works great. I take this when I travel and it breaks down easy and fits all the auto's. I use this in my Jeep at home and I have never had this come off during any rough driving yet. All for three or four bucks...

:)

Thanks,

Steve

I was on a trip to Calif. which I took my 60csx and while in the rental car my arm was fallen off holding this near the dash. So I went to find screen and the shopping icon found the nearest Radio Shack, I took my GPS in to find some kind of mount. All I could find was a cell phone vent holder and this works great. I take this when I travel and it breaks down easy and fits all the auto's. I use this in my Jeep at home and I have never had this come off during any rough driving yet. All for three or four bucks...

I was also in the market for a auto mount for my Garmin 60Cx. After reading this post, I drove to my nearest RadioShack and purchased the vent mount. It works great. The salesman told me that these little beauties were on closeout. So, they may not be around for much longer. I'm contemplating whether or not to get a second one as a backup (just in case it breaks).

Here is the link and a picture.

pRS1C-2265591w345.jpg

Edited by Xelberg

IMO don't get the windshield suction cup mount. I found that mounting my 60CSx on the windshield made it too far away to even read. Besides, who wants something stuck to the windshield? It looks lousy and everyone will know that you have a GPSr in the car.

Check out my invention here.

177395193-S.jpg

My home made mount is dependent upon the car having a tape player which is becoming more scarce.

I might try the bean bag thing. In another post a user said that he had a lot of luck with it and of course it's highly portable. I wasn't aware of the A/C vent mounts that are available.

I think that you have to get the basic suction cup mount first in order to have it glom onto the bean bag.

Opinions are like....well never mind... :)

I happen to LIKE the suction-cup mount (specifically the RAM version) cuz the unit is closer to your normal sight-line while driving. If you think cell-phone drivers are bad, watch out for those GPS goofballs (uh...I guess that's me, too....)

Garmin's suction cup mount, while cleverly flexible in its positioning ability, is unfortunately overly flexible in its...uh...flexibility. The 60CSx bounces if you don't have it positioned so that the bottom of the GPSr is touching the dash.

RAM's mount is VERY STURDY (imho), while still being easy to adjust in a simpler, less convoluted way than Garmin's.

Best prices on them that I've found are here (no affiliation...just a satisfied user):

http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram/ramb166ga12.htm (aluminum)

http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram/rapb166ga12.htm (plastic)

Opinions are like....well never mind... :)

I happen to LIKE the suction-cup mount (specifically the RAM version) cuz the unit is closer to your normal sight-line while driving. If you think cell-phone drivers are bad, watch out for those GPS goofballs (uh...I guess that's me, too....)

Garmin's suction cup mount, while cleverly flexible in its positioning ability, is unfortunately overly flexible in its...uh...flexibility. The 60CSx bounces if you don't have it positioned so that the bottom of the GPSr is touching the dash.

RAM's mount is VERY STURDY (imho), while still being easy to adjust in a simpler, less convoluted way than Garmin's.

Best prices on them that I've found are here (no affiliation...just a satisfied user):

http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram/ramb166ga12.htm (aluminum)

http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram/rapb166ga12.htm (plastic)

I've been thinking about getting the Ram Mount windshield suction cup mount. When you say sturdy, is it sturdy enough to eliminate the vibration? I am pretty dissapointed with the Garmin mount for this very reason.

I've been thinking about getting the Ram Mount windshield suction cup mount. When you say sturdy, is it sturdy enough to eliminate the vibration? I am pretty dissapointed with the Garmin mount for this very reason.

I have a RAM mount for my 60cx and it doesn't move at all. I was used to the vibration issue with the crappy Garmin etrex suction mount I had before, so I decided I would spend a bit more for the RAM mount this time around, It was definately worth the money.

Edited by hogrod

There's the tiniest bit of vibration, but nothing at all like the Garmin. I was surprised at how big/substantial the RAM mount is when it came (compared to the Garmin), but it doesn't seem too big now that I've had it awhile. Anything too much smaller would cause the 60CSx's antenna to interfere with the windshield.

The suction cup works great - in fact I used it to pull out a door-ding somebody left me a parking lot the other day :)

-RenHoek

There's the tiniest bit of vibration, but nothing at all like the Garmin. I was surprised at how big/substantial the RAM mount is when it came (compared to the Garmin), but it doesn't seem too big now that I've had it awhile. Anything too much smaller would cause the 60CSx's antenna to interfere with the windshield.

The suction cup works great - in fact I used it to pull out a door-ding somebody left me a parking lot the other day :)

-RenHoek

Thank you very much kind sir. That's exactly the info I was looking for.

The suction cup works great - in fact I used it to pull out a door-ding somebody left me a parking lot the other day :blink:

-RenHoek

Thank you very much kind sir. That's exactly the info I was looking for.

ive got the ram mount too. cant fault it. you could use it to climb glass buildings its that strong!

I just use an adhesive cell phone swivel mount. Works great and it's only $3.

I got the swivel mount that clips into the vents which works just as well. Better, actually, as it hold the unit out from the dash a bit, and with a little bit of Dremeling, I can keep it plugged into the cigarette lighter so I don't have to use the batteries while driving.

I got the swivel mount that clips into the vents which works just as well. Better, actually, as it hold the unit out from the dash a bit, and with a little bit of Dremeling, I can keep it plugged into the cigarette lighter so I don't have to use the batteries while driving.

I've been looking for one of those vent mounts for my wife's car. Can't find them anywhere these days.

I've been looking for one of those vent mounts for my wife's car. Can't find them anywhere these days.

I got mine at one of those cell phone accessory stores at the mall.

I have Garmin's dashboard mount with "permanent" adhesive sticker. It works great, has been stuck solid for over a year. I also have their suction-cup mount for use in rental cars.

If I had to turn my head to see the GPSr screen while it routes me, I might have hit something by now.

I have Garmin's dashboard mount with "permanent" adhesive sticker. It works great, has been stuck solid for over a year. I also have their suction-cup mount for use in rental cars.

If I had to turn my head to see the GPSr screen while it routes me, I might have hit something by now.

I have a Garmin 60csx. I have a couple of the auto mounts -- a dash mount for my truck and a window mount that I take with me when I travel.

What is different is that the faceplate (that the GPS attaches to) on the window mount is designed to accept a swivel button instead of the normal Gramin attachment! I don't remember if I purchased it that way, or if I canabilized something else to put it together. However, it is genune Garmin -- just maybe from 2 different units. Whatever the case, I would LOVE to find another of these.

I can't find anything even close on the Garmin web site, and when I called their support line, they didn't have any idea either.

Has anybody else seen these? Does anyone know where I can pick up another one?

Thanks,

Yukon

-RenHoek

Just got it today. Absolutely incredible compared to the Garmin mount. Almost no vibration and almost couldn't remove the GPS from the cradle. Will this loosen up after a while? Thanks for the info

Just got it today. Absolutely incredible compared to the Garmin mount. Almost no vibration and almost couldn't remove the GPS from the cradle. Will this loosen up after a while? Thanks for the info

There's a tab that fits in the groove around the outside of the belt-clip "button". You can file that down to make it easier to get it in and out of the cradle, without affecting how firmly it holds.

Also, some people don't know the correct way to remove the unit. Put your thumb against the tab at the very top. Put the side of your finger (of the same hand) against the back of the "arm", about half way down. Flex the arm by pushing away from you with your thumb, and towards you with your finger. That should lift the retaining tab out of the button's groove. You should then be able to pull the unit towards you, and lift it out.