Logs in Pocket Queries

rufnredy

Including more logs would probably add more stress on an already stressed out process - PQ generation. While I'd love to see more logs as well, I doubt it will happen until the PQ process is refined to the point it's not overloading the servers. One of the reasons people store cache data offline is to keep a history of the log data, because it is often handy to have.

If you're a paying member you can get ALL the logs for a particular cache by downloading the GPX file from the specific cache page. It's a manual process, but it's one option.

Including more logs would probably add more stress on an already stressed out process - PQ generation. While I'd love to see more logs as well, I doubt it will happen until the PQ process is refined to the point it's not overloading the servers. One of the reasons people store cache data offline is to keep a history of the log data, because it is often handy to have.

If you're a paying member you can get ALL the logs for a particular cache by downloading the GPX file from the specific cache page. It's a manual process, but it's one option.

If they allowed you to select the number of logs (all as an option), I'm guessing that it would decrease the stress on the servers. If I had this option, I would run one PQ just before I was ready to head out instead of running many PQ's on a regular basis just to accumulate logs.

If they allowed you to select the number of logs (all as an option), I'm guessing that it would decrease the stress on the servers. If I had this option, I would run one PQ just before I was ready to head out instead of running many PQ's on a regular basis just to accumulate logs.

I am not sure that would help the servers too much as many people would just get them all the time just because they could.

I assume you want more logs to help with clues to finding the cache?

You know I never knew this was so. I use GSAK for my PQs and I have some caches that have many many logs. This may be that they have built up over time. I checked one cache (GCBBA) which was the first cache in Canada, I stopped counting at 50 logs but they only go back to 2004 which was when I would have started building my database and the cache was placed 4 years earlier. So you can build the logs up as you go along.

You learn something new every day.

Some caches have hundreds of logs. I've seen a few virtuals with well over 1000 logs.

In addition to stressing the servers out, I would have to wonder what the utility of downloading all that information would be.

I think having the last 10 logs (whenever they get around to that) is more than adequate; if they don't help me find the cache, those logs from 2003 probably aren't going to help much either.

I am probably not a typical PQ requester. I do not use any software to aggregate log entries. I do not have any PQ's set to generate automatically. When I decide to make a cache run in a new area I select a center point and pull 500 caches for my PDA. If it's a local area I pull the nearest 500 if my last one has gotten a little stale. I really don't need 500 caches but I figure too many is better than not enough.

I would welcome the opportunity to get 10 logs and cap the email at a specified maximum size. If the number of 10 log caches exceeds the max email size, the farthest caches are eliminated. Would the number of caches returned be: 250, 350, 450? I don't know but would love to find out.

I understand that some users don't have a PDA and go strictly to GPS (without log entries). So a one size solution will never fit all. But I would consider a little more flexibility to be fantastic customer service. Glad to hear that Jeremy has at least considered an increase in the past.