Question to vendors

UOTrackers

I'm probably not the only one thinking about making a coin just for GW5 (at least I hope I am not), but I can't afford to right now. You know how the post office usually says things like if you want your package delivered by christmas order no later than....

Do the Vendors who frequent these forums have any advise for those of us wanting to mint coins for GW5?

When would be the cut off date for delivery in time for GW5? Anything else you'd like to mention? Thanks in advance!

That is a loaded question, but we are asked it a lot.

This all depends on how ready you are on what you want on the coin. It is critical to know what you want on the coin and how you want it laid out. Then also be prepared for the coin broker to tell you that a few design changes need to be made to make it work well on metal. Once you have that part done, then it will take about 1 week minimum for the broker to have die art completed. Sometimes this can happen a few days faster, but 1 week for the first draft of die art is good to expect. You might get told 2 or 4 days to get the die art back, but be ready for 1 week just incase. Then be prepared for the die art to have a few mistakes on it. Sometimes it is done correct the first time, but sometimes is it not. Allow another few days to get it fixed. Then there might be another mistake on the die art; you never know and we never know.

Once the die art is completed and you are ready, it usually takes 3 weeks for production and 3 to 5 days for delivery.

This comes to approximately a total of about 5 weeks to get the project completed and to your door IF ALL GOES WELL!

There are plenty of variables that can increase this timeline:

1. You make changes (more days to complete the die art)

2. You want a pre-production photo sample

3. You want a pre-production sample

4. You want a very complicated design (more manufacturing labor)

5. Groundspeak is a little late getting the tracking numbers ready

6. Email system disconnects

5. A die breaks during production

6. The factory closes for a week for a holiday

7. Customs holds the package for inspection

8. Production flaws you discover after delivery (re-making the bad coins)

8. etc...

Coin making is not a perfect process, so the best plan of action is to start at least 8 weeks out...9 or 10 is better. Nothing beats planning for delays. This way if they get done sooner, then you will be pleasantly surprised.

If you think this is too long of a time to prepare for a project based on what you read on websites, then think about this: Coin brokers will typically advertise the perfect case scenario to get coins completed. Almost all coin brokers have the same delays that can possibly occur. We have had coin orders that took 19 days to fully complete and to the customer's door, but that is not typical.

A big note here: If you are not sure what you want on a coin and are wishy-washy about it like, "I am not sure what I want on the coin, maybe something like this, go ahead and make some art and let me see what I think". Then you get it back and say, "Well...I don't know if I like that; let's try something different..." Then you can plan on the project taking 3, 4, maybe even 6 months to complete. That is no joke! Indecisiveness and frequent changes are the worst enemy on coin projects. It is best to know what you want and expect some art adjustments to make it fit well on a coin than it is to make a coin before you are really ready.

Just being bluntly honest here to help eveyone out. :lol:

It is now time to start the GW5 coins.

Thank you.

Edited by CoinsAndPins