"Dipping" a Travel Bug...Is this a normal practice?

swaninwa

I'm curious --

About a month ago we traveled down to Oregon and placed a TB and a Geocoin . They were picked up by the same person, who interestingly enough lives here in WA, about 45 minutes from me...LOL!

My question is this: since obtaining these trackables, the cacher has placed them into THREE separate caches, only to immediately retrieve them again. On one of his logs he called it "dipping" them. I've never seen anyone do this before, is this a regular practice?

While I appreciate him adding some mileage to the items, technically ANYONE could pick a cache from anywhere they wanted and "dip it" and take it back out again. Using this practice, one could send a trackable all over without ever moving from their PC. I'm not saying that this is what the cacher is doing, but I AM wondering if this "dipping" is acceptable TB ettiquite?

Thanks for your input...

Edited by swaninwa

I'm curious --

wondering if this "dipping" is acceptable TB ettiquite?

Thanks for your input...

Yes, if the Tb owner doesn't mind. Some do and say so. Other tb owners don't care.

It should never of course be dipped in a cache you have not actually visited with the tb, but only used to show travels. My daughter and I do it if on a trip and not yet at a point where we can either leave the tb (caches are too small) or not at a good location (we think) to leave it or where the goal would lead us to believe it would best be left yada yada yada. However, we only dip once per town, not in every cache we might hit there. As in a recent trip nearly 400 miles south, I dipped a couple of bugs at the last stop but not inbetween. That's just personal preference though. I took three to the Bahamas and back so those got "dipped" several times. The owners were asked beforehand and approved it since it did take the bugs way out of the way of their goals for a short time. I let people know to dip mine as they go, but most don't take the time and trouble.

Long as it eventually gets dropped! :blink:

Sometimes if I am carrying a bug while caching but I don't leave it in that cache I will log it through just to show it had been there.

This might be for a couple reasons, one the cache is too small to hold the bug. e.g. a micro or I am planing on taking the bug further before releasing it.

It's part of a journey so I wouldn't be overly concerned if someone is moving my bug around. A guy took my daughter's Tb on a 3,000 mile 12 state trip. Among other places it visited Mount Rushmore and the second oldest cache. It was fun to watch.

Well OK then. This is very interesting -- it never occurred to me to do this! I've had a few opportunities where dipping probably would have been worthwhile, I just never EVER thought of it. You've enlightened me and put a whole new spin on TB placement. :blink: Like a "Flat Stanly" sort of thing...

P.S. We discovered Geocaching shortly AFTER returning from an eight state RV trip last year. I regret that we didn't know about it before we went. :blink: Oh well, NEXT TIME!!

Edited by swaninwa

Well OK then. This is very interesting -- it never occurred to me to do this! I've had a few opportunities where dipping probably would have been worthwhile, I just never EVER thought of it. You've enlightened me and put a whole new spin on TB placement. :o Like a "Flat Stanly" sort of thing...

:blink: I have had fun moving TB's and coins. There are a group that I have that in some cases have traveled over 20,000 miles. They are in my backpack all the time so technically they are with me at everycache I find but I only log them in and out at special times. These specials are international travels or milestones. The only response from the owners have been requests for more photos. My personal TB has over 50,000 miles. There are a lot of ways to have fun with this hobby. :blink: