How to enter coordinates to show cache on map?

kurchian

Recently I was involved in a multi-cache and came up with the final set of coordinates. It was too late to go to the final so I went home intending to go out the next day. As I don't have mappin gon my GPS I came home intending to enter those coordinates into Google Map or something similar so I could pinpoint the location.

2 questions:

1. Is it possible to directly enter coordinates into Google Maps and have the location highlighted?

2. Secondly, I notice the coordinates as shown on the caching pages are different from those on the URL when you open up page. Can someone explain that?

Thanks

Google maps and Google earth are quite flexible in the different formats you can enter to show on a map. Just copy paste off the listing pages and edit out the degree symbol works well enough.

The link number you see are the same as the listing page - just stated in a slightly different format. The page list uses decimal minutes DDD MM.MMM - they are in the link as decimal degrees DDD.DDDDD - same spot.

I have played around with Google Maps but I don't understand why the coordinates shown on the cache page differ form the coordinates that are embedded in the URL that pops up when I click on "Geocaching.com Google Map" on the cache page.

It is like saying HELLO in spanish, english, or german. They are all the same just different. Your GPS can be set up to input any of the postions. Example you can set to read Degrees.... XX.YYYYY then change setup to degrees and min.mmm XX YY.YYY It is just the interpertaion.

:lol:

OK, there are different "languages". I am not talking about entering coordinates into my GPS. I am trying to figure out how to enter coordinates that I have figured out from mystery caches and enter them onto google maps so I can locate them.

When I enter the coordiates into the Google map URL there are consistently about 10 miles off. Is there some translation that I need to know about for the Google maps?

OK, there are different "languages". I am not talking about entering coordinates into my GPS. I am trying to figure out how to enter coordinates that I have figured out from mystery caches and enter them onto google maps so I can locate them.

When I enter the coordiates into the Google map URL there are consistently about 10 miles off. Is there some translation that I need to know about for the Google maps?

Can you give an example? If I copy any coordinate set from a cache page straight into Google Earth or Google maps, it plots the point right where it should be. No editing the degree sign out either.

It appears that you are from MA. I found that if you make a mistake of 10.0 min of Latitude it will give you an 11 mile error. If you make a mistake of 10 min of Longitude it will give you a little over 8 miles of error. Recheck your numbers it looks like it is a typeo. What ever number you type into Google maps or Google Earth are dead on accurate.

:lol:

Can you give an example? If I copy any coordinate set from a cache page straight into Google Earth or Google maps, it plots the point right where it should be. No editing the degree sign out either.

Here is an example:

I open up this cache page

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8f-d6bac939c70b

I copy the coordinates and enter them into Google Maps.

42.32969,-71.06634

The pinpoint shown on Google Maps is about 10 miles off.

What am I doing wrong?

Here is an example:

I open up this cache page

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8f-d6bac939c70b

I copy the coordinates and enter them into Google Maps.

42.32969,-71.06634

The pinpoint shown on Google Maps is about 10 miles off.

What am I doing wrong?

I see. You copied the coordinates wrong. Try to not alter the coordinates at all. No editing anything out, leave everything as it is, spaces, degree signs, everything. Just select "N 42° 32.969 W 071° 06.634", copy, paste into google maps, done.

Here is what you did, and should not do:

The coordinates are:

N 42° 32.969 W 071° 06.634

You took the degree signs and spaces out, and you moved the decimal point. Now you get:

N 42.32969 W 071.06634

This is obviously incorrect. If you want decimal degrees (and I see no reason why you would), then the proper conversion is

N 42° 32.969 = 42° + 32.969/60 = 42.54948°, and

W 071° 06.634 = 71° + 6.634/60 = 71.11057°

HTH

Good timing! I was going to post the same question. I appreciate the answer(s).

This seems like such a basic question that I am almost afraid to ask this...

How to I enter the degree symbol? I don't see it on my keyboard.

you don't need to enter any of the symbols. All it needs are the numbers ie N34 56.789

:)

Even though I don't need it for Google Maps, how do I type in the degree symbol?

Hold down the ALT key, type 0, 1, 7, 6 on the keypad (not on the numbers in the top row), and then release the ALT key.

If you ever wonder how to type a specific character, use the "Character Map" that Windows provides. You find it under Programs->Accessories->System Tools. Find the character you want, and in the lower right corner it will show you the key combination. A lowercase ö, for instance, is ALT+0246.

This has admittedly not much to do with geocaching.