What was the best thing you've found?

Grylls

I usually come across junk: keychains with business names on them, little figurines, broken hot wheels cars, and other geojunk.

Although, my last find was a pleasant one. It contained something I actually wanted! It was a geocaching.com, emroidered patch. I sewed that thing on my backpack quick!

So, what was the best thing or things you guys have found? I still haven't come across a cache that is rumored to be filled with money or GPS receivers :blink: Oh well, I'll keep looking!!

Probably the most "valuable" item we found was a gift card for the GAP with $100 on it. We went shopping right after the caching, that time.

One of my son's favorite items was the cache placer's older Gerber multitool. Our son was probably 12 at the time, and he still treasures that item. Of course, that was back in the days when you could put items like that in a cache.

That same cache placer placed an older, but still very usable Palm in a new geocache he just set... as with the Gerber, he had gotten a new palm and was passing it on to someone else!

Most of the time, the items in the cache aren't worth much, but I like to find different keychains or magnets... things out of the ordinary, that I wouldn't see in a local store.

I usually come across junk: keychains with business names on them, little figurines, broken hot wheels cars, and other geojunk.

Although, my last find was a pleasant one. It contained something I actually wanted! It was a geocaching.com, emroidered patch. I sewed that thing on my backpack quick!

So, what was the best thing or things you guys have found? I still haven't come across a cache that is rumored to be filled with money or GPS receivers :lol: Oh well, I'll keep looking!!

an unregistered travel bug.

the location was awsome, quite the adventure reaching it.

very rewarding experience being there.

the TB had been sitting there for half a year.

I will be sending it out soon, (my first).

Probably the most "valuable" item we found was a gift card for the GAP with $100 on it. We went shopping right after the caching, that time.

I have to ask, why was there a $100 GAP card in a cache?!?!?! If that happens again I may be able to convince my wife that caching is a good idea! :lol:

I have to ask, why was there a $100 GAP card in a cache?!?!?! If that happens again I may be able to convince my wife that caching is a good idea! :lol:

It was a pretty tough cache to get to, with a wonderful view. It was even written in the logbook that the finder had left a gift card from GAP, and he thought there was $100 on it. The cache had even been found by some people between when the card had been left, and when we found it. Unfortunately, the finder that left the card never posted online... but I did thank them in the online log, too.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9d-5c847581c5b9

This is the link for the entire cache page, read the logs for July 12, 2003 (our first attempt at the cache) and then for May 15, 2004. The son that got stung on the first attempt wasn't with us on this cache trip (he was camping with his boy scout troop that weekend). The person leaving the card visited the cache January 19, 2004 and there were 7 entries between that visit and ours.

What a fun find!

Edited by Moore9KSUcats

I found my wife in a cache.

Seriously.

Ain't never gonna top that! Unless I find a girlfriend in a cache too.

Does that mean I can leave my wife in a cache and somebody will take her????

Just remember - Trade up or trade even.

My thoughts exactly, what did you leave in its place? :laughing: lol

so, tools are not kosher in caches? not even brand-new-still-in-the-package ones?

I'm not 100% clear on that. I think tools are fine. Screw drivers, tape measures, etc, all ok. I think mult-tools that contain knife blades are not ok.

I think my father gave me my first pocket knife when i was 6 :drama: So I don't agree with not being allowed to leave them in caches. But then again, with kids shooting kids these days, I can understand how gc.com wouldn't want to be involved with any violence.

I think the perfect trade item would be those 50ml airplane style bottles of hard liquor. I'm not a drunk, but I love a stiff drink with my dinner. And since my 16 year old neighbor drinks more than I do, I also don't agree with not being allowed to drop alcohol in a cache. But than again, I can totally understand how gc.com would not want to be tied with any underage drinking, or any of the aftermath that goes with it.

:laughing: lol silly kids ruining the fun :drama:

Best thing that I found when we first started caching was my dad's GPS. I had it on a belt clip, and picked up Heather. She must've kicked it off when I picked her up, because quite a bit later (way down the trail), I noticed that it was gone. Retracing our tracks, I was able to find it, but not after a small panic attack (lol). Since that was not IN the cache, I'd have to say these were some of our best items to pull from a cache: a Geocoin Fairy coin, a $20 Gander Mountain Giftcard (ftf prize), ESPN t-shirt and an insect in amber.

i found a shark bottle opener

hey, i found one of these too! was it green aluminum? that would be wierd. i wonder if they are the same, cause i've never seen one like the one i found. nothing too crazy, just a cool bottle opener!

t c

for me..It would have to be a hacky sack. Not your run of the mill $1 ones but a real footbag $20-$30. Me and my rock climbing buddies hack all the time and we love that thing.

i found a shark bottle opener

hey, i found one of these too! was it green aluminum? that would be wierd. i wonder if they are the same, cause i've never seen one like the one i found. nothing too crazy, just a cool bottle opener!

t c

no, mine was blue aluminum. whats the brand or copany on it?

The the cache had a bandanna theme. Most people didn't participate and the original bandannas were gone with logs saying there were none in the cache. When I found it, there was one so I swapped it out for one I brought. Nothing outstanding but it was just fun and my dog got a new bandanna. A simple, cheap, themed cache-- you can pick up bandannas for under a dollar.