Hawaii Geohana

crake

I got a laugh from the Cachebug post. But after thinking about I find the comment really frustrating.

The pose was selected to be close to what was on the original token, and this pose happens to have both arms above the head. There are other poses that could have been selected, but this was the one originally used.

Here's a full-res close-up of the girl compared to the image used in the artwork. The bump on the top of the head is a flower that was added since it was hard to differentiate flowers from hair. Keep in mind this is a 1.75" coin, and this is a macro shot of the area so it looks huge on screen. In any case, I think the die tech did a good job creating the artwork, and the result matches the original artwork pretty well. I'm confused about the comment that the end result is different from the artwork I originally posted. I'm not sure what could be different other than using a different pose? Also the original token is shown for comparison.

GeohanaCloseup.jpg

There is a die correction being made to one of the eyes as it was cut a little too deep.

Edited by crake

No worries. When I first saw the artwork I wasn't wowed by the hula dancer and was hoping to see something more liek Randy Jay Braun's or Kim Taylor Reece's work.

Then I saw the token and read more about the history and thought the hula dancer was perfect.

The blog comment was only one person's reaction. Heck, for as outspoken as I am I realize I'm only one opinion as well - don't sweat it.

I think anyone who has a complaint about the detail or says it is not good enough, really has no concept of GeOhana anyways..

Then again, I am only one opinion.

If your making the coins to make money off people, it better be a perfect image. If your making the coins to share the GeOhana and create something that others can share and talk story around then it is perfect already.

Movie_lilo_and_stitch_hula.jpg

It's not the image, it is the idea

I got a laugh from the Cachebug post. But after thinking about I find the comment really frustrating.

The pose was selected to be close to what was on the original token, and this pose happens to have both arms above the head. There are other poses that could have been selected, but this was the one originally used.

Here's a full-res close-up of the girl compared to the image used in the artwork. The bump on the top of the head is a flower that was added since it was hard to differentiate flowers from hair. Keep in mind this is a 1.75" coin, and this is a macro shot of the area so it looks huge on screen. In any case, I think the die tech did a good job creating the artwork, and the result matches the original artwork pretty well. I'm confused about the comment that the end result is different from the artwork I originally posted. I'm not sure what could be different other than using a different pose? Also the original token is shown for comparison.

There is a die correction being made to one of the eyes as it was cut a little too deep.

I wouldn't be too frustrated because the results seem pretty good and definitely more detailed than the original. I think I see what the blog might be aluding to though. A hula dancer is often idealized as a woman's idealized hourglass figure. The translation appears with a very "straight" or having unrealized proportions. It may be partially a trick of light, too. Most notably under the right hand side of the photo image in the photo you see the curve along the ribs is at a much greater angle which gives the hourglass look. Also the feet look very "heavy" compared to both the photo and original token where the ankles and feet are much slimmer. Now that's being extremely critical though and it's a testament to the hard work put in so far that reproduced as much detail as it has. I mean we are talking about a half-inch image here aren't we? Is the original coin 3d or is it just a worn 2d image?

As a dancer I wasn't wowed initially by the dancer art either (I much more of a kahiko (ancient) girl myself), but it's what it symbolizes and the history of where it came from that makes it special. This is a very classic 50's look and that's the time this coin/token is representing. It's a part of Hawaii too, just a different part. You stayed true to the art and feel of the era, go with it.

Sorry to frustrate Chris. ;) As I hope you know I'm a pretty big fan of yours. The image does look much better when you zoom it in. The comment was just an honest assessment of what I had to look at. In the small image from your site you can't see the detail in the lays and dress. If I just had positive non-constructive comments it would be a pretty laim blog.

Edited by cachegame

Oh no, please - I can take a critical comment :laughing: What I was worried about was making sure I got this right. So your comment was a great sanity check, and after emailing out the detailed photos I got confirmation that this is indeed what is wanted.

So its all good!

Oh no, please - I can take a critical comment :laughing: What I was worried about was making sure I got this right. So your comment was a great sanity check, and after emailing out the detailed photos I got confirmation that this is indeed what is wanted.

So its all good!

Excellent! Everyone confirms that we know you will do the right thing. So what is that exactly? Your design has certainly captured in spirit, the original intention of the coin. When you are satisfied that the physical detail meets your spec, then roll with it!

Excellent! Everyone confirms that we know you will do the right thing. So what is that exactly? Your design has certainly captured in spirit, the original intention of the coin. When you are satisfied that the physical detail meets your spec, then roll with it!

Here's what's changing:

- The dark eye is being fixed

- Two small lines that were missing are being added to the curved lines on the front.

- The cutouts are being curved slightly to prevent pinching of the metal on the reverse.

- Raised edges on the back around each cutout are being added to prevent pinching of the metal on the reverse.

Aloha!

I'd love to get my hands on one of the golden versions of this coin, but even though I was born in Hawaii, I know that doesn't qualify me. I do, however, have something that I'd like to trade for one such golden coin. When my personal (and trackable) coins were being made, I had them make 10 polished silver coins, of which I have 4 or 5 left. Originally they were to be cache prizes, but I've found them better suited to rare trades. I would be willing to part with one, for whomever can get me one of the rare coins.

SilverBack.png AllThree.png

(click the two images for larger pictures)

For what its worth - I think a delay for quality is ALWAYS acceptable. (I do photography, and artwork as well) I would never sacrifice the quality of my work for the sake of being speedy.

Kudos for waiting to get it right - just the opposite is usually the norm. I hope you don't catch any flack from those waiting on this coin - because the delay is absolutely for a good reason.

Update - factory made yet another mistake. Their words: "it was a stupid thing for us to do". Their fix was not acceptable and I'm going to have them go back and get it right.

This WILL be done right. More updates when I get them.

Since we have a couple of the bus tokens that these resemble, I would be more than happy to wait as long as it takes.

I'm afraid that what CB is alluding to just might happen. Some people are gonna start having a public fit. Hope you ignore them, and stick to your guns.

I for one want this as well as any coin I have commited to, to be the best it can be and I agree that as long as you are honest and keep us informed we should be patient. Besides that, we don't have any money on the line yet, Crake waits to collect money until he has the coins available and that is the way it should be. Thanks, Chris.

A bit more on the 1951 tokens...

Norman Keith "Sailor Jerry" Collins was one of the most influential tattooers in the history of 20th century American tattooing. He worked out of his shop in Honolulu until his death in 1972, and truly bridged the gap between the classic roots of American tattooing and the modern-day explosion with much heavier emphasis on artistic ability. He was in contact with practicioners from the then-closed world of Japanese tattooing, loved their large-scale pieces, and sought to bring their artistic sensibilities, with Western themes, into American tattooing. Like many tattooers of the era, he also made and sold tattoo machines, many of which survive to this day.

I have been tattooed with one of his old machines, and it was here that I first became aware of the 1951 transit tokens. Making tattoo machines is a precise art, but often (particularly in the past) employed low-tech solutions. Coins, particularly dimes, are often used as spacers in various parts of the machine. Sometimes they are used to solder onto the end of the contact screw, a part that requires adjustment and wears with use of the machine. The Sailor Jerry machine I was tattooed with, and others I have seen, employed 1951 Honolulu transit tokens as both spacers and contact screw ends. I became obsessed with finding one of these tokens, and it was not easy until eBay came along. Early on in the eBay game they were few and far-between, and easily sold for $5 and more. At one point a few years back you could find multiple auctions at any given time selling them for $1 or so, many without any bids. Today they seem to be somewhat sporadic, with $5 offerings the norm, and buyers rare. They still crop up from time to time for $1 or $2, and will usually sell. Often to me <_< . I have ammassed quite a collection over the years.

I am looking forward to this geocoin, and hope to pick up a few when they finally make it into production.

Edited to add: For what it's worth and if it's not too late...I think the B&W icon on the previous page is the nicest and best reflects the spirit of this coin.

Edited by fivedime

Geohana preorders are now open. Everyone with reservations should have gotten an email. Unfortunately I've had to cancel a bunch of Gold orders from those outside of Hawaii. Please keep in mind the Gold edition are for Hawaii residents only!

Geohana preorders are now open. Everyone with reservations should have gotten an email. Unfortunately I've had to cancel a bunch of Gold orders from those outside of Hawaii. Please keep in mind the Gold edition are for Hawaii residents only!

What if you haven't received an email (except for the one back in Jan accepting the reservation)?

Got mine today. Very nice coins! One will wind up as as special prize for a cache series I am putting together, and one is set for a prize for our upcoming CITO event here in Rhode Island.

And what's really great, is that it is reminding me of my upcoming trip to Hawaii later this month.

Aloha and Mahalo!

The first coin of my personal series European wildlife is now on sale;

silver.jpg

you can buy three metals with geocoins.nl

*silver

*antique silver

*antique gold

Also a little competition;

the first wildlife coin to be in caches in all european union countries wins a SLE antique copper version!

Hmmm... is this like SPAM!??? :cry:

Or is it just an OT apparition?

The first coin of my personal series European wildlife is now on sale;

silver.jpg

you can buy three metals with geocoins.nl

*silver

*antique silver

*antique gold

Also a little competition;

the first wildlife coin to be in caches in all european union countries wins a SLE antique copper version!

Hmmm... is this like SPAM!??? :cry:

Or is it just an OT apparition?

I was just at this sight looking at these coins and a trojan tried to get me....sigh.....running a scan now

What a great package we got today!!! And it was worth the wait (the first e-mail I had with Crake about this idea was 11/10/06). We are very happy with how they turned out and we now have a cool little display with the Silver, Gold and the original token. :cry:

BTW Crake is serious about the icon, the geohana can not agree on any of those posted earlier in the thread. Only requirement is that is be a hula girl!

Finally I do have few gold ones to trade, but I'll post that in the other thread.

PS: Mahalo Crake for the extra special surprise!!

I'm proud to be able to help some folks in Hawaii make their coin a reality. Hawaii Geohana is a 1.75" coin with two cutouts and an Antiqued finish and is, of course, trackable at Geocaching.com.

HawaiiGeoHana.jpg

It will be available in Antiqued Gold for folks from Hawaii and Antiqued Silver for everyone else. In order to make sure I get enough Gold coins on hand, I'm asking for geocachers in Hawaii to contact me and get "on the list". I expect coins to be available in mid-February. Please contact me directly at coins@crakephoto.com if you're from Hawaii and would like to reserve a LE version of this coin.

Price will be $7.90 each for either silver or gold.

I'll answer, since Crake left the choice of icon up to us (the geohana) & we have not be able to agree on any of those suggested.

Preferred criteria: hula girl in her entirety, excellent detail

B&W vs. Color, ongoing argument, but would become secondary if there was a good clear image.

So we are still open to suggestions.

jrr