Hawaii Geohana

crake

I'm proud to be able to help some folks in Hawaii make their coin a reality. Hawaii Geohana is a 1.75" coin with two cutouts and an Antiqued finish and is, of course, trackable at Geocaching.com.

HawaiiGeoHana.jpg

It will be available in Antiqued Gold for folks from Hawaii and Antiqued Silver for everyone else. In order to make sure I get enough Gold coins on hand, I'm asking for geocachers in Hawaii to contact me and get "on the list". I expect coins to be available in mid-February. Please contact me directly at coins@crakephoto.com if you're from Hawaii and would like to reserve a LE version of this coin.

Price will be $7.90 each for either silver or gold.

Hi Chris - I live in the very, very far western island...

It's not generally known that New Zealand is part of the Hawaiian island chain... it was just moved further away by sea floor spreading/plate tectonics... Wasn't it?

Maybe that is just not known at all! :blink:

Guess I have to join the queue with everyone else.

Edited by keewee01

Aloha!

And mahalo to Crake who is indeed making our dream of a trackable Hawaiian coin a reality.

A little background: the coin is based on a bus token made by the the Honolulu Rapid Transit company in 1951, you can see one here. The actual tokens are nickel/silver in color.

The token is bigger than a nickel but smaller than a quarter and was good for a 10 cent bus ride. It was only made in 1951, possibly because they cost more than a dime to make and were snatched up by tourists. We actually bought a bunch of them to leave in caches. Then one day we got the idea that the tokens would make a good geocoin. Since no one here was up to the task of designing/producing/distributing, we sent our idea & a token to Crake. A couple months later and voila!

About "Geohana:" Ohana is the Hawaiian word for family, and since we have no formal caching association here, when we get together we tend to refer to ourselves as the "Geohana." Hope you like the coins as much as we do.

jrr

Edited by sillygirl & jrr

Chris,

Can you say who in Hawaii you are helping to make this coin? When I was there in November, I had alot of folks interested in creating an "original" Hawaiin design. I did brag about your talents to them. Looking forward to another crake creation.

EDIT: I see that during a delay in my post, that my question has beenm answered.

Edited by Go JayBee

Now, since I am a haole member of geohana, my suggestion would be of a hula dancer (either greyscale like on the coin or full color). JRR already knows my preference on that, though :blink:.

Its no secret I hate to do icons, so free coinage to anyone who can make a hula dancer icon that looks good at 32x32 AND 16x16!

Try this on for size:

preview_32x32.jpg

preview_16x16.jpg

I definitely like this one!

Where is that icon from? Can we use it?

It's a photoshopped picture of a little dashboard doll I bought in Kauai last spring. Cheesy, I know... I just wanted one... :blink:

You are welcome to use it

Edited by cachegame

After talking with the folks in Hawaii, we've clarified the conditions for the gold coins. They are for those who live and cache primarily in Hawaii. This will be controlled by having a Hawaii mailing address. The silver version will be available to all though!

Hey, maybe this is a great opportunity to befriend a geocacher in Hawaii!

We are GeOhana and we are in awe.

It is amazing that one of the Ohana is sitting in our back room talking to us about this coin and as we wait for others to arrive I go check email..

What do I find? Email from another of the Ohana telling me of the coin..

You realize now that it is late and everyone is going home, I am going to sit in the back room in the dark and cry?

Honored, proud and underserving are the words that come to my mind when I think of those whom we call GeOhana.

We miss you all more then we can explain, but ask those that Blast.. A new present is enroute to you my friends.

Others can collect the coin, but we will now and forever have the memories......

It is amazing that one of the Ohana is sitting in our back room talking to us about this coin and as we wait for others to arrive I go check email..

You realize now that it is late and everyone is going home, I am going to sit in the back room in the dark and cry?

Honored, proud and underserving are the words that come to my mind when I think of those whom we call GeOhana.

We miss you all more then we can explain, but ask those that Blast.. A new present is enroute to you my friends.

Others can collect the coin, but we will now and forever have the memories......

WOW - well said. That was so deep and meaningful!!

WOW - well said. That was so deep and meaningful!!

It was? Any chance you can translate it then? :laughing:

Mahalo and Aloha Shadow Ace! You gotta get out to the islands again soon! :laughing:

sillygirl & jrr told me about this coin a few weeks ago and I have been giddy with anticipation! I cant wait - such a great historical icon of Hawaii for use as a geocoin - great idea!

Tiki

I agree that the hula dancer should be the icon for this geocoin.

I immediately recognized the base design for the coin as I collect transportation tokens. I'll definately have to have one or two of these.

There is a bit more information on the original 1951 transportation token. Honolulu Rapid Transit had 400,000 of these tokens produced in 1951 but they never were used in revenue service (all of them that you'll typically see are shiny and new looking with no wear). A few apparently got out and were a hot souvenir in the 60's. I think I recall reading that they sold for $20 or more back then! The transit company must have unloaded them later because they can be had for a buck or two today (unless you try ebay).

Edited by tokencollector

Mahalo to token collector for the additional coin information. That explains why every one we've had has seemed so "new." Makes you sonder what the whole story was back then.

And a big A-LO-HA to the other noncontiguous US contingent. Glad you like the coin. :blink: And Alaska is a Hawaiian favorite too, reminds me we gotta get back there, we haven't been since B-C (Before-Caching). Bet there's some great ones to be found.

jrr

Edited by sillygirl & jrr

Things that make you happy :drama:

22696cc3-f6ff-44d8-9616-0f857fe6558f.jpg

We are so looking forward to the coins, it will sit in honor and be shown to anyone who does not run fast enough as they will have to listen once more to all the tales of joy and fun that we have to share:

965e9874-d6e4-4156-8273-3269917add08.jpg

Remembering the good times during the bad is the hardest trip to master:

20bccae3-dd1b-487b-ba4e-d86309977abf.jpg

Coins with meaning such as this will make it that much easier.

Will those of us that have made reservations get an email when they are ready for purchase?

Yes! I'm waiting for the corrections to be made to the die. Once I have confirmation I'll turn on the items in the store and send email to everyone with the link.

Please take no offense, but after seeing the Cachebug's comment on his blog, I have to agree. Crake, what happenned to the hula girl? B) I understand the loss of detail in transforming the 2D artwork to 3D relief, but... well perhaps it's just the photo. Because IMHO, it's the hula girl as depicted in your artwork that makes this design work as it did for the original token.