Ethics of an RTA

Team.TFTC

There may be a just reason a cache is "temporarily archived" for what seems to be an inordinate amount of time. If that is the case, hopefully it would be posted on the cache page itself. We did that on one cache where the only road leading to the cache was closed due to park construction. Yes, a cache should maybe be actually archived, and then resubmitted in that case, but it can be a major hassle.

Unfortunately, many times a cache is "temporarily archived" because the owner has not gotten out to replace a missing cache, and is taking way to long to fix things up. I know we have a cache in that situation, in a way. The tree the cache was in was bulldozed to make way for a road in a nearby park. We intended to get it replaced quicker, but still haven't. I am also waiting to see how long that area of the park will be under construction, so I am not bringing people to a construction zone. We can relocate the cache within the 528' guidelines, but it isn't the kind of view I normally bring people to see. Yes, the rest of the park is still available for caching, but the area within the 528' of GZ is not that pretty right now due to the construction. In this case, I am waiting a bit more to see what happens to that area of the park. I disabled the cache November 1st.

One time, after a cache had been muggled, I left the cache temporarily disabled in the hopes that if I didn't replace it quickly, the neighborhood kids would leave it alone. I left it disabled for 4 months, then we changed it to a multi with a redirector at the original point of interest. It lasted another 4 months before it got muggled again, so we gave up. We could go back at this point, but the trail has degraded so badly in some areas that I'm not sure it really is safe. Another cache we had on the same trail got muggled around that same time (or a bit later), and the timbers lining the trail dislodged, so we felt that it was time to abandon that trail to the neighborhood kids.

My point is, sometimes there are legitimate extenuating circumstances regarding "temporarily disabled" caches. We have that place available for us to use (and it will be replaced), but rather than archiving it, and making the approver go through the process of approving another cache where one was already, we will leave it disabled for a bit longer.

Malia

Oct 06 is only about three months ago, I would probably wait a few more months assuming the owner is still active.

If you really want to go find that cache, you might consider sending a short email to owner or posting a polite note on the page asking about the cache. If the owner knows there are people waiting to find the cache, they might be encouraged to fix the cache. Or you might find out theres some resonable reason why it won't be fixed for a while. Either way I personally find it better to know whats going on with the cache, then to just stare at this disable cache with no idea when it might be back.

I have come across caches that are disabled for the winter as the area is closed for the winter months. When the area reopens in spring the cache is enabled.

On the other hand in my area the reviewers will go through and place a note on the cache page suggesting that the cache be either fixed and re-enabled or archived. If in a few weeks there is no response from the cache owner the reviewer will archive it.

I have heard it suggested that if you plan to leave a cache disabled for more than say a month or more, then place a note as to what you are waiting on.

The cache owner should get as long as they need to fix the cache and no longer. In my view that's about 6 months longer than folks who like hitting the SBA button would like to allow.

The SBA log is for when the cache needs to be archived. Not for when a cacher would like it to be archived because it's annoying them in some way. SBA worthy problems include irate land owners, bomb squad intervention, or other truly compelling reasons that don't allow time to contact the owner. A disabled cache allows all the time in the world needed to contact the cache owner and for them to potentially get back from their year long sabbatical to help starving children.

As for the Disabled cache, the reviewrs do tend to watch them and follow up. Since they are on the job nothing else need be done.

Edited by Renegade Knight