WHICH IS MORE POPULAR?

tumnus777

Do you mean POST? Maybe the next time you want to post a message, you could read it for spelling errors. Also, please do not use all capital letters; it means that you are screaming. Thank you. :ph34r: When I find a picture of my favorite coin, I will post it here.

Edited by PeachyPA

How about hand made trademark trade items. I know my chainmail balls are almost always taken by the next finder. In fact, I often see people log a cache a couple days after me because the wanted to find a chainmail ball.

61bb07e2-779a-4edf-8bf1-8487763b1104.jpg

I had a Fergus chainmail Hackey Sack -- unfortunately it got stolen... I VOTE FOR FERGUS' CHAINMAIL ITEMS (yes, I know I was screaming-- couldn't help myself, they are so-o cool.

How about hand made trademark trade items. I know my chainmail balls are almost always taken by the next finder. In fact, I often see people log a cache a couple days after me because the wanted to find a chainmail ball.

61bb07e2-779a-4edf-8bf1-8487763b1104.jpg

I had a Fergus chainmail Hackey Sack -- unfortunately it got stolen... I VOTE FOR FERGUS' CHAINMAIL ITEMS (yes, I know I was screaming-- couldn't help myself, they are so-o cool.

My favorite geocoin is the Not another Micro geocoin, and the Set of 4 Train Geocoin set.

I have two favorite coins that I own, The original Benchmark geocoin and the Original AMMO Can geocoin.

But the one coin I love the most is a coin that I dont own. Its called the:

Moun10Bike Ver 1 Geocoin

Why is that coin so special to many of us?

Well it's the very first geocoin that was ever made in the whole wide world. I got the chance to hold one in my very own hands last week. I almost cried...they are so rare. There is only one of them here in New England.

Edited by WeatherednBoston

I like them both, and they each have their good points, but I'd have to give the edge to bugs.

Coins are nice because they're small and convenient to carry and will fit in almost any cache; plus you get all the cool icons; and also because some of them are so beautifully made. Some are a bit boring, most are interesting, and a few are really gorgeous works of art.

TBs, on the other hand, tend to have more varied and interesting goals -- most coins just want to travel from cache to cache and not get stolen, but it's more likely that a bug will have a funny or interesting goal. But the reason that I lean towards bugs over coins is that you can usually take much more interesting photos of bugs than you can with coins. There's only so much you can do with a metal disk... but a bug, especially one shaped like a person or an animal, is much more poseable and versatile. And since taking pictures is my favorite aspect of trackables, travel bugs win. :)

I like coins because they are both ownable and trackable.

Coins introduce a level of socialization that TBs do not; you won't often see a group sitting at a table at an event trading TBs, but set out some coins and folks gather around.

Cachers ooh and ah at coins they like, talk to one another, trade coins and get to know one another - I have coins I traded for from people that I meet at events and that experience established a small bond - I may not have met them but for 5 minutes to trade, but I remember them whereas I likely don't remember the 100 other people I met that day.

Coins don't, and by their nature never will, travel as well as TBs, but TBs will rarely introduce you to the owner.

I vote for TBs.

Here's why (besides the price difference).

A brand new Travel Bug is a clean slate. No personality. No mission. Nothing. And you could make it into anything and send it anywhere. Look at all the travelbugs - each one is totally different from the other, each one obviously relfects the personality of the owner etc.

A coin's identity is pre-defined at the time of minting. The list of its missions is pre-set as well. It would be ridiculous for me to buy a South Carolina coin and send it on a mission to, like... Russia...

I've tried searching for coins on Ebay and on all the sites listed on Geocaching. It's hard to find something that I would identify with. And they cost a lot... So it's hard to find somethingreally worth buying.

So... travelbugs! yeeeeeeeeey!

I also vote for trackable dollar bills for the same reason. Cheap and totally custom-izable. (I don't think the latter was a real word, but you know what I mean)

I like travel bugs, because the chances of somebody *taking* a bug and not returning it to a cache, are less of that of a coin.

But I like geocoins because they add to the game. A new cache pops up on the map. Chances are there is one or two people who rush for the FTF. If that cache were to have a geocoin in it, you can add another two people to that list. Now if the new cache has a rare geocoin in it, instead of four people, you might get ten people running out for the FTF. Now thats fun. Driving to the parking location, thinking the whole time "did I leave early enough?? Am I driving fast enough?? I wonder if I can find parking closer??" Then giving everybody the evil eye on the trail, not knowing if they are thinking the same thing you are. Or even better, running out of the house at 3:00 am for that ftf with the rare geocoin. Geeze... what fun! <_<