New GPS W/ Live Radar

fultontx

I wonder what the bottom line is going to be after you finish subscribing to the XM and what ever other services it will take to use everything they are proposing?

A quote from a website:

"According to sources, the new consumer version of XM WX, entitled XM WX SkyWatch, will be available for only $3.99/month when combined with an XM Satellite Radio subscription. So that's a total cost of $16.94 a month.

If you want the SkyWatch package alone without XM radio, SkyWatch will run you $9.95 a month.

The XM WX SkyWatch package includes graphical NEXRAD radar summary (aka Doppler Radar), National Weather Service warnings, your current weather conditions, and 3-day or 7-day city forecasts."

Sounds like they are trying to make this into a personal media player too. A GPS + radio for news, sports, music, weather, maybe traffic data?

Getting traffic data and map overlays would be very nice, but I don't see it implemented.

I must say, having weather data can be important for the outdoors. Having doppler, forecasts, weather warnings can be valuable. If they also provide marine forecasts that would be great too.

But for $10 per month? $120 a year?! I'll probably save myself the $120 per year and get my weather info in other ways (like free NOAA reports or from a cell phone). I don't exactly need the radar capabilities. I'm usually hiking, and I can tell if it is raining or not, and what the weather is like 10+ miles away doesn't make a difference to me. I might pay $30 per year for the weather, but not $120.

Many retailers have the device ready to sell for when it becomes available:

http://www.cabelas.com/vprod-1/0046738.shtml

First, it is not live radar. It's 5 minutes or more old, but probably good enough. Garmin does offer this, at least in aviation units, and maybe in others, probably car units. I have a Garmin 396 in the helicopter I fly, and it's very nice. It will also show weather observations at the nearest airports, and satellite pictures for cloud cover. The satellite overlay isn't worth that much, but having recent radar pictures takes some of the anxiety out of tooling around at 2AM with thunderstorms in the area. 10 miles can be very close if there is extensive lightning. It's worth it to me, especially since the company is paying. For a handheld, for caching, it's a different story, and I don't think the service is being tailored to that market. For flying, it's not as good as having a real weather radar, but it's a lot better than nothing, and the cost and weight are far, far lower.

The main problem have with some of these devices is:

a. Proprietary maps.

b. The ONIX 200 is non-NMEA compliant (http://www.bushnellgps.com/support/cffaq/f...=4&Keyword=)

If the ONIX 400 solved the above issues, it would probably be the perfect GPS solution (at least for me).

They are ALL proprietary maps for each brand for all the GPS receivers. I'd love to have you point to a GPS that can use any map from any vendor.

First, it is not live radar. It's 5 minutes or more old, but probably good enough. Garmin does offer this, at least in aviation units, and maybe in others, probably car units. I have a Garmin 396 in the helicopter I fly, and it's very nice. It will also show weather observations at the nearest airports, and satellite pictures for cloud cover. The satellite overlay isn't worth that much, but having recent radar pictures takes some of the anxiety out of tooling around at 2AM with thunderstorms in the area. 10 miles can be very close if there is extensive lightning. It's worth it to me, especially since the company is paying. For a handheld, for caching, it's a different story, and I don't think the service is being tailored to that market. For flying, it's not as good as having a real weather radar, but it's a lot better than nothing, and the cost and weight are far, far lower.

For mountain hikers this weather information can be very handy. Weather that starts off nice can sneak up on you in a bad way very quickly and having an idea of what's about to come can make a valued decision to stay or go easier to come by.

What it comes down to is what bells and whistles you are willing to pay for for the activity you choose to do. I've been waiting for this particular GPS to come out since I got the green light to upgrade months ago. I want to see the performance before choosing a lessor GPS.

The 496 and 396 are very nice units, and have marine and road modes in addition to aviation. If you have the cash, they can do a lot. They currently sell for ~$2800 and $2200 respectively, database and maps included, XM subscription not included.

Edited by NightPilot

I have been watching and waiting for this GPS to come out for some time, and what will be the clincher is if it has great maps. If it fails in the mapping department, than I have come to the conclusion of going with Delorme's PN-20 as it suits my needs for hiking/camping.

As for additional information on the Onix400, I read that the XM weather subscription could be "seasonal" if a person does not need it all year long, and that reactivating the service would not require a restarting fee. For me, the ultimate GPS would be one made with Garmin quality, the maps of Delorme's PN-20, and the weather radar of the Onix400 :anitongue:

The 496 and 396 are very nice units, and have marine and road modes in addition to aviation. If you have the cash, they can do a lot. They currently sell for ~$2800 and $2200 respectively, database and maps included, XM subscription not included.

So what you're saying is the bells and whistles for $400 is a good price for someone who hikes in the mountains (like me) that would use it instead of the +2K for the units you listed.

All I'm saying is that the Garmin 396 is all I know about for sure. It's expensive, but it may be worth it to some people. The company provides it, so I use it. I know nothing about the Bushnell. They make decent optics, don't know about electronics.

Well as I've said all along, I'm waiting to see how it performs before I do my upgrade.

Update from the Cabelas website:

A 3.5" full-color LCD shows crisp images in sunlight or dark and includes a digital compass for accurate headings even when standing still.The SiRF Star III GPS20-channel receiver is WAAS enabled. The ergonomic design is waterproofto IPX7 standards, rubber armored and durable. Screen layering lets you superimpose compass, navigation data, weather images or a basemap over a satellite picture or topo map. Imbedded 128MB Micro SD card stores downloaded data. Safetrack™ battery conservation maximizes battery life. Bushnell's Channel Monitor Scoreboard lets you listen to and track your choice of 170 XM Satellite news, weather, sports and entertainment channels while keeping GPS mode active. Comes with an AC charger, USB cable, quick-start guide, and CD-ROM with software for managing topo maps, aerial and satellite data. Choose from an array of accessories to personalize your Onix 400.

Just got notified that these are now in stock. Price w/ shipping about 452 Bucks.

If I could find a way to see one in action, I'm sure I'd be sold. I have animated radar on my cell, but on a 1.8 inch screen it's a little tricky to see any echo hooks.

I've seen the Bushnell line at Bass Pro, but even on the 200CR, the guy told me he had no maps loaded , nor could we try it out. ;(

Decisions decisions..

Just got notified that these are now in stock. Price w/ shipping about 452 Bucks.

If I could find a way to see one in action, I'm sure I'd be sold. I have animated radar on my cell, but on a 1.8 inch screen it's a little tricky to see any echo hooks.

I've seen the Bushnell line at Bass Pro, but even on the 200CR, the guy told me he had no maps loaded , nor could we try it out. ;(

Decisions decisions..

It looks very cool. I look forward to reading any feedback about it in these threads. :)

I'll stick my 2cents in for what it's worth - about 1/2 a penny :)

My approach has always been this: multi-function devices are never the best at all the functions they provide, they only sample features in adequacy. Although I like the idea of incorporating a sleek GUI that displays weather forecast and plays MP3's, i still like separating my devices.

IMO, for hiking/camping/survival exercises, choose a good GPS that is nothing but a good GPS - if it has some great extra bells & whistles, then great. If you want good accurate and specific weather forecasting, get a watch with a thermometer and barometer on it (i.e, Casio Pathfinder or a Suunto). Also, Mp3's are light enough and inexpensive enough to carry, plus you're not relying on one battery to supply power to all of these functions.

Bushnell might make a good GPS but I wouldn't trust it against a Garmin, Magellan or Delorme.