Mapping Software for Europe

Team Reid

Hey all!

I have a friend that travels across the big pond a bunch, and is interested in purchasing the best GPSr for Europe. They travel all over the country, visiting B&B's. He's very proficient in maps, but I thought a GPSr with mapping capabilities would be awesome! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Robyn of Team Reid :ph34r:

Robyn,

Let me see now, you asked for an "opinion," right.

I've been busy this week working with a Magellan eXplorist XL that Mr. The Vulture came by dishonestly; sort of. You'll recall the Magellan Rally and Jeff's tendency to beat poor old people out of the top prize year after year.

That task put me in a position to install and run the latest Magellan "MapSend DirectRoute North America." I generated and loaded all of Continental-US and Alaska maps onto a 2 Gbyte memory card for the eXplorist XL.

Beyond that I have for years used "MapSend Topo" for my legacy GPS, a Meridian Platinum.

Furthermore I now have a Garmin 60csx and related "MapSource City Navigator North America" mapping software and do indeed load detailed maps into my Garmin unit as required. Also I've provided technical support to numerous friends including Baldy & Goldilocks whom purchased a Garmin 76CS receiver and the Garmin mapping software.

An issue that really matters when considering the use of mapping software is having a GPS that accepts memory-expansion cards. Detailed maps take a lot of memory and more is better than less.

The very latest units offer preloaded memory-cards that have regional maps already installed; however, none of the accessory cards hold maps for all of Europe. Result is that you would have to purchase and carry a number of memory cards for countries of interest.

So maybe that puts me in a position of being able to offer an unbiased product comparison without relying on the heartbreak of cognitive dissonance. Based on my experiences here's what I think.

It is my opinion that the Garmin 60csx with "MapSource City navigator Europe" is the way to go. First of all it accepts memory-expansion cards. Producing and loading detailed maps is far easier with MapSource than with MapSend for the eXplorist receivers. Still one cannot load all of Europe or all of Continental US onto the memory card even though 2-Gbyte cards are available for the unit. One must reload an appropriate map when travelling to some far-away place.

The eXplorist XL is able to accept multiple regional maps and allows one to select from a list of such maps and activate any one of them. Having just gone through that process for Jeff's unit I can say that it took a day to produce and load all of the regional maps needed to load all of Continental US and Alaska into his eXplorist XL that he uses for business travel. Of course you only have to do that once. I cannot say that my experience with the eXplorist XL applies to the eXplorist x00 line of receivers. I'm sure some other reader can fill in that detail.

Hey Robyn, had enough?

Your pal,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Hey all!

I have a friend that travels across the big pond a bunch, and is interested in purchasing the best GPSr for Europe. They travel all over the country, visiting B&B's. He's very proficient in maps, but I thought a GPSr with mapping capabilities would be awesome! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Robyn of Team Reid :wub:

I believe GoBolts! was very happy with Mapsource's City Navigator: Europe

when he went to Norway. I think it was Norway, or Sweden, one of those places. He has a garmin gpsmap 76csx, but it would work just as well on my 60cx :ph34r:

I don't know what the other option is, if any.

D!

Edited by Duncan!

Thanks for the input, Harmon and Duncan. What an awesome group of cachers we have here in San Diego!

I'll pass this info to my friend. They don't leave for their upcoming trip for quite awhile, so we'll do a little more research. Habu! stated that he was very happy with his Garmin and it's European software.

Thanks again guys!

Robyn :blink:

I forgot to ask the initial question. Does your friend want a GPS receiver for auto, boating, hiking, or what?

Thanks for bringing that up, Harmon. He's not a geocacher, although I would love for him and his wife to be. Since I only know hand-helds, that's what I suggested to him. I will suggest the auto version. Thanks again, Harmon!

Robyn